- Developments on 2 fronts in Sweet Briar College's closure Updated: May-06-15 5:26 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Sweet Briar College officials and opponents of its planned closure met Wednesday and promised to get together again later this month.
- Va. lawmaker rebuked for posting pic of snarling police dog Updated: May-06-15 10:35 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - A Virginia legislator apologized after drawing criticism for posting on Facebook a photo of a snarling police dog along with a reference to the recent civil unrest in Baltimore.
- Pulaski officer fatally shoots suspect at storage facility Updated: May-05-15 11:04 am
PULASKI, Virginia - Pulaski police say a suspect shot by a town police officer has died.
- Herring: Abortion clinics can be exempted from new standards Updated: May-04-15 5:13 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - New, strict building standards should not be applied retroactively to existing abortion clinics, Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring said Monday in an opinion contradicting advice given by his Republican predecessor.
- Police: Va. man fatally shot after firing gun at officers Updated: Apr-30-15 3:58 pm
EMPORIA, Virginia - Virginia State Police have released the name of a man who was fatally shot by police after he fired a sawed-off shotgun at officers.
- Portsmouth chief says police preparing for possible protests Updated: Apr-30-15 2:22 pm
PORTSMOUTH, Virginia - Portsmouth police are preparing for the possibility of protests after two recent fatal shootings by officers, Police Chief Ed Hargis said Thursday.
- Former Va. AG Ken Cuccinelli stays active in state politics Updated: Apr-29-15 4:39 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Since leaving elected office at the beginning of last year, former Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli has helped start an oyster farm, sued the National Security Administration, led a U.S. Senate-focused conservative political action committee and founded a law firm specializes in representing guns owners.
- Police: Colonial Heights deaths appear to be murder-suicide Updated: Apr-29-15 6:40 am
COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Virginia - Virginia State Police say evidence indicates the deaths of a Colonial Heights couple were a murder-suicide.
- Va. Supreme Court Justice Millette announces retirement Updated: Apr-28-15 11:58 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Supreme Court Justice Leroy F. Millette Jr. has announced his retirement.
- Va. man cited in two-car accident involving state trooper Updated: Apr-20-15 6:52 pm
COVINGTON, Virginia - Virginia State Police are investigating a weekend traffic accident involving a state trooper in Alleghany County.
- Driver charged after car hits Caroline County deputy Updated: Apr-20-15 1:05 pm
MILFORD, Virginia - Police say a Caroline County deputy was injured when he was hit by a car while directing traffic in a school zone.
- GOP ahead in cash race heading into Va. campaign season Updated: Apr-19-15 1:46 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Republicans have a large cash advantage over Democrats going into an important campaign season, newly filed finance reports show. But Democrats said they don't have as much in the bank because they're already spending it on efforts similar to what helped their candidates, including Gov. Terry McAuliffe, sweep all three statewide offices in 2013.
- Fire that killed 2 in Augusta County ruled an accident Updated: Apr-16-15 5:47 pm
CHURCHVILLE, Virginia - Virginia State Police say a fire that killed two adults in Augusta County has been ruled an accident.
- Va. House Speaker has major cash going into primary Updated: Apr-15-15 7:31 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Republican Virginia House Speaker William J. Howell has access to nearly $1.4 million going into a June primary contest.
- Virginia looks to end contract to build new toll road Updated: Apr-15-15 3:05 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - After already spending more than $280 million on the project, the Virginia Department of Transportation gave notice Wednesday that it plans to terminate its contract to build a new toll road that would parallel the existing U.S. 460 from Suffolk to Petersburg.
- State police target HOV violations in Hampton Roads Updated: Apr-15-15 1:35 pm
HAMPTON, Virginia - Virginia State Police troopers issued 140 tickets for high occupancy vehicle violations during an enforcement initiative in Hampton Roads.
- Former Fla. Gov. Jeb Bush to deliver Liberty commencement Updated: Apr-15-15 12:44 pm
LYNCHBURG, Virginia - Liberty University says former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush will be its keynote commencement speaker May 9.
- U.Va. board member resigns, governor appoints replacement Updated: Apr-13-15 10:45 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - University of Virginia Board of Visitors member Dr. Edward D. Miller has resigned with a year of his term remaining, saying he is concerned about rising tuition and declining funding for research.
- Congressional delegation backs cyber unit at Michigan base Updated: Apr-12-15 6:26 pm
BATTLE CREEK, Michigan - All 16 members of Michigan's congressional delegation are asking the Department of Defense to locate a Cyber Operations Squadron at the Air National Guard base in Battle Creek.
- Former lawmaker sues Va. Democratic Party over signatures Updated: Apr-09-15 10:46 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Former Del. Joe Morrissey is asking a court to review 750 petition signatures that the Democratic Party rejected, making him ineligible for a state Senate primary.
- 3 workers rescued from Pamunkey River in Va. Updated: Apr-09-15 3:16 am
WEST POINT, Virginia - Virginia State Police have rescued a Dominion Virginia Power employee and two contract workers from the Pamunkey River in King William County.
- State police investigate officer shooting in Dickenson Updated: Apr-08-15 1:05 pm
HAYSI, Virginia - Virginia State Police are investigating the shooting of a man by a Dickenson County sheriff's deputy.
- Va. AG files brief in support of Obama immigration plan Updated: Apr-06-15 5:07 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring has filed a friend-of-the-court brief in support of the government's bid to end a judge's roadblock of the Obama administration's immigration plan.