- House speaker upset about ethics rules on gifts to lawmakers Updated: May-23-15 12:58 am
HONOLULU - The leader of Hawaii's House of Representatives is complaining about state Ethics Commission rules that rein in gifts to lawmakers.
- Hawaii Legislature chips away at reforming police forces Updated: May-21-15 12:37 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers had hopes for rebuilding public trust in the state's police departments, but a number of bills that aimed to initiate reforms died during the 2015 session.
- Little-known bills: pests, toilets and election reforms Updated: May-10-15 8:10 pm
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Legislature has wrapped up its work for 2015, ending a session that drew attention for talk of medical marijuana dispensaries, rail tax extensions and Maui hospitals. There were hundreds of bills that were heard in committees that had lower profiles.
- Hawaii lawmakers vote to get rid of ethanol in gas mandate Updated: May-06-15 1:17 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii is poised to join an odd coalition of environmentalists, fuel manufacturers and chicken farmers who want to do away with a mandate to mix fuel with ethanol.
- Hawaii Senate President Kim ousted in unusual shakeup Updated: May-06-15 12:34 am
HONOLULU - State senators ousted Hawaii Senate President Donna Mercado Kim and replaced her with Sen. Ronald Kouchi, putting Hawaii's neighbor islands in a more prominent role with a representative from Kauai at the helm.
- Hawaii passes bills on energy, sex trafficking, rail tax Updated: May-06-15 12:32 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers passed dozens of bills Tuesday heading into the final days of the Legislative session, approving plans that could raise taxes, save energy and ban sex trafficking. A bill to set up a system of medical marijuana dispensaries is scheduled for a full legislative vote on Thursday.
- Bill to extend rail tax for 5 years passes Legislature Updated: May-05-15 9:58 pm
HONOLULU - A tax to fund Oahu's planned rail transit project could be extended under a plan approved by the Hawaii Legislature.
- Hawaii bill for birth certificate gender change passes Updated: May-05-15 9:07 pm
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Legislature passed a bill that could make it a lot easier for transgender people to change their gender on their birth certificates, joining a growing number of states to make the change.
- Hawaii committee passes medical marijuana dispensaries bill Updated: May-04-15 10:16 pm
HONOLULU - Patients have waited nearly 15 years for legal access to medical marijuana in Hawaii, and they are now one step closer to reaching that goal.
- Hawaii lawmakers approve Maui hospital privatization bill Updated: May-02-15 9:05 pm
HONOLULU - Maui's only acute care hospital and two other state-owned medical facilities could be privatized under a bill given final approval by state lawmakers.
- Agreement elusive on Hawaii medical marijuana dispensaries Updated: Apr-29-15 10:50 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers are disagreeing on a bill that would establish an islandwide system of medical marijuana dispensaries.
- Hawaii lawmakers push expanded access for driver's licenses Updated: Apr-29-15 8:17 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers are trying to make it easier for people living in the state illegally, homeless individuals and vulnerable populations to get driver's licenses.
- Panel passes bill on Maui hospitals partnership deal Updated: Apr-29-15 12:32 am
HONOLULU - A panel of Hawaii lawmakers has approved a plan that paves the way for Maui hospitals to enter into a partnership deal.
- Hawaii lawmakers tackle bill to ban sex trafficking Updated: Apr-28-15 9:30 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii is the last state in the nation without a comprehensive sex trafficking ban, and lawmakers are trying to shed that label.
- Hawaii Legislature moves to ban powdered alcohol Updated: Apr-28-15 6:32 pm
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Legislature is passing a bill to ban powdered alcohol before the product has gone on sale in the state.
- Bill seeks to expand coverage for Hawaii fertility law Updated: Apr-28-15 12:44 am
HONOLULU - A proposal in Hawaii's Legislature would expand a state mandate on fertility treatments to include same sex couples and single women, updating a law that now only offers such benefits to women who are married to men.