- French company scores huge Australian submarine contract Updated: Apr-26-16 9:51 am
PARIS - Australia's largest-ever defense contract has gone to a French shipbuilder to produce a new generation of submarines, thrilling officials in Paris and inaugurating half a century of close defense cooperation between the nations.
- The Latest: Toyota says quakes to force production stoppages Updated: Apr-17-16 4:36 am
ASO, Japan - The latest on the earthquakes in Japan (all times local):
- Russia, Japan agree to leaders' meetings this year Updated: Apr-15-16 8:16 am
TOKYO - Top diplomats from Japan and Russia agreed Friday on scheduling their leaders' meetings this year, starting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit to Russia, to deepen relations overshadowed by a World War II territorial dispute and the conflict in Ukraine.
- Kerry makes gut-wrenching visit to Hiroshima site of A-bomb Updated: Apr-11-16 7:14 am
HIROSHIMA, Japan - An emotional John Kerry said Hiroshima's horrible history should teach humanity to avoid conflict and strive to eradicate nuclear weapons as he became the first U.S. secretary of state to tread upon the ground of the world's first atomic bombing.
- G-7 foreign ministers push nuclear disarmament in Hiroshima Updated: Apr-11-16 6:53 am
HIROSHIMA, Japan - Foreign ministers from the Group of Seven industrialized countries, meeting Monday in the atomic-bombed Japanese city of Hiroshima, called for a renewed push for flagging nuclear disarmament efforts as they wrestled with some of the intractable global problems facing their nations.
- Kerry's visit to Hiroshima grabbing spotlight at G-7 meeting Updated: Apr-08-16 9:21 am
TOKYO - Next week, Secretary of State John Kerry will become the highest-ranking American government official to visit Hiroshima, where 140,000 Japanese died from the first of two atomic bombs dropped by the U.S. in the closing days of World War II more than 70 years ago.
- Searchers find 4 of 6 crewmen on missing Japan military jet Updated: Apr-07-16 10:01 am
TOKYO - Searchers on Thursday found four of the six crew members from a Japanese military jet that disappeared a day earlier while flying over southern mountains.
- Russia says Japanese leader Abe may visit in May, meet Putin Updated: Apr-06-16 9:31 am
MOSCOW - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe may visit Russia in May for a long-awaited meeting with President Vladimir Putin, the Kremlin said Wednesday.
- Kerry to visit atomic memorial in Hiroshima Updated: Apr-05-16 2:44 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry will visit a memorial to victims of the U.S. bombing of Hiroshima when he travels to Japan next week. He'll be the most senior U.S. official ever to do so.
- AP Explains: Why Asian diplomacy is on nuke summit sidelines Updated: Mar-31-16 8:36 am
WASHINGTON - The leaders of China, India, Japan and South Korea are among the heads of government converging on Washington for a summit on countering the nightmarish threat of nuclear terrorism. But with tensions in North Korea and the South China Sea running high, the meetings that Asian leaders have on the sidelines could attract more attention than the summit itself.