- Heritage title for Japan industry sites draws mixed reaction Updated: Jul-06-15 6:14 am
TOKYO - Japanese officials Monday celebrated the U.N. cultural body's approval of world heritage status for 23 historic sites showing the country's transformation from feudal isolation into an industrial power at the end of the 19th century.
- Japanese PM Abe appoints Endo as Olympics minister Updated: Jun-25-15 5:48 am
TOKYO - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe appointed veteran lawmaker Toshiaki Endo on Thursday as minister in charge of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Japan's secret navy bunker gives glimpse of war's final days Updated: Jun-24-15 11:27 am
YOKOHAMA, Japan - On a hillside overlooking an athletic field where high school students play volleyball, an inconspicuous entrance leads down a dusty, slippery slope - and seemingly back in time - to Japan's secret Imperial Navy headquarters in the final months of World War II.
- Japan navy drill in South China Sea may lead to larger role Updated: Jun-23-15 9:00 am
PUERTO PRINCESA, Philippines - A tiny military exercise in the Philippines this week may presage something much bigger: the entry of Japan into the tussle for control of the South China Sea.
- Leaders of SKorea, Japan mark anniversary of normalized ties Updated: Jun-22-15 11:10 am
SEOUL, South Korea - The leaders of South Korea and Japan attended separate ceremonies Monday in their respective capitals marking the 50th anniversary of the resumption of normal ties - small, mostly symbolic moves that could signal an easing of abysmal relations between the key U.S. allies.
- Not friends yet, but Japan and South Korea are talking Updated: Jun-21-15 12:22 pm
TOKYO - Foreign ministers from Japan and South Korea held a rare meeting Sunday on the eve of the 50th anniversary of their countries normalizing relations marred by Japan's colonization and World War II conquest.
- Constitutional questions grow over Japan PM's military plans Updated: Jun-10-15 10:23 am
TOKYO - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's pledge to the U.S. to increase Japan's military contribution internationally is facing more questions about potential conflicts with the nation's pacifist Constitution.