- 7 Kansas communities receive airport project funding Updated: Jul-31-15 6:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The state is awarding seven communities funding for airport projects.
- Top Democrat in Kansas House apologizes to caucus Updated: Jul-28-15 11:13 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The top Democrat in the Kansas House has apologized to fellow Democrats and asked how he can improve next session.
- University of Kansas appoints new state government liaison Updated: Jul-28-15 5:04 am
- Planned Parenthood, abortion foes have long Kansas history Updated: Jul-26-15 12:21 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican Gov. Sam Brownback's push for an investigation into whether tissue from aborted fetuses is being sold commercially is the latest episode in a long history of moves against Planned Parenthood by Kansas abortion opponents.
- Kansas Supreme Court sets timeline in school funding lawsuit Updated: Jul-24-15 7:07 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court said Friday it will hear oral arguments in November on whether the state is distributing school funding fairly in a way that provides equal educational opportunities for all students.
- Abortion foes see new reason for Kansas-style ban on method Updated: Jul-23-15 7:40 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Abortion opponents are using their questions about Planned Parenthood's handling of fetal tissue to bolster arguments that other states should follow Kansas in approving a ban on a common procedure for ending second-trimester pregnancies.
- 2 Miltonvale residents fatally injured in crash Updated: Jul-23-15 3:53 pm
CLAY CENTER, Kansas - Two north-central Kansas residents were killed when the vehicle they were in rolled several times west of Clay Center.
- Kansas National Guard to be reviewed for security Updated: Jul-23-15 5:08 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Gov. Sam Brownback has ordered a review of security at Kansas National Guard facilities in the wake of the fatal shootings at Tennessee recruiting sites.
- Brownback calls for abortion facility inspections Updated: Jul-21-15 6:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Gov. Sam Brownback wants the state to determine if Kansas abortion facilities take part in a fetal tissue program in the wake of a Planned Parenthood executive videotaped discussing disposition of parts from aborted fetuses.
- Kansas seeks dismissal of ACLU lawsuit on gay marriage Updated: Jul-21-15 2:14 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - The state is facing a Tuesday deadline to respond to a civil rights group's demand that Kansas' gay marriage ban be ruled unconstitutional - and not simply dismissed as moot - in light of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling last month that legalized same-sex unions nationwide.
- KTA says culvert where driver died needs enlarging Updated: Jul-17-15 4:38 pm
EMPORIA, Kansas - Authorities say a culvert where a 21-year-old Texan died after losing control of his car during flooding on Interstate 35 needs to be enlarged.
- Lawmakers question Kansas policy on tax credit information Updated: Jul-13-15 1:21 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A decades-old Kansas policy that keeps secret the names of those who receive millions of dollars in tax credits is designed to protect taxpayer privacy, state officials said, but some lawmakers argue it keeps them from knowing which breaks are worth keeping.
- Kansas Supreme Court upholds man's murder conviction Updated: Jul-13-15 6:14 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court has upheld the first-degree murder and assault convictions of a man prosecutors say was involved in a fatal Wichita shooting in 2009.
- Nixon vetoes bill limiting scholarships for immigrants Updated: Jul-11-15 6:39 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Gov. Jay Nixon says he is vetoing a measure that would block immigrants who are illegally in the U.S. from receiving money under Missouri's A+ scholarship program.
- Same-sex marriage ruling raises issues for Kansas, Missouri Updated: Jul-11-15 11:28 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas and Missouri legislators face debates next year over religious objections proposals and expanding their state's anti-discrimination laws to protect gays and lesbians, following the U.S. Supreme Court's decision legalizing same-sex marriage throughout the nation.
- Army troop cuts modest at Kansas posts; officials relieved Updated: Jul-09-15 6:53 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas faces losing fewer than 700 soldiers from the Army's cuts in active-duty forces over the next two years, and state officials said Thursday that the modest reductions show Fort Riley and Fort Leavenworth remain vital to the military.
- Missouri attorney general sues Kansas City area auto shop Updated: Jul-09-15 4:38 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Missouri Attorney General office's has filed a civil lawsuit against the owners of a Kansas City area auto repair business.
- The Latest: Kansas governor says gay marriage order narrow Updated: Jul-09-15 4:05 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The latest on gay marriage in Kansas. (All times local.)
- Tests conducted on highway leading to abandoned mining town Updated: Jul-09-15 1:47 pm
TREECE, Kansas - State transportation officials are awaiting the results of testing along a five-mile stretch of U.S. 69 in southern Kansas looking for trouble spots that could lead to highway collapses.
- Kansas, Missouri governors differ in gay marriage responses Updated: Jul-08-15 7:17 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback described the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling legalizing same-sex marriage as a potential threat to religious liberties, while Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon called it an important step toward creating a fairer society.
- Kansas AG named to national group's new agriculture panel Updated: Jul-08-15 5:05 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt has been appointed to a committee established by the national group for state attorneys general to study legal issues surrounding agriculture.
- Kansas governor's order shields clergy on same-sex marriage Updated: Jul-07-15 7:23 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' governor told state government agencies Tuesday that they can't punish ministers or religious groups for opposing same-sex marriage, and critics said he is sanctioning discrimination even as the state extends new benefits to gay and lesbian couples.