- Derby's American owners sell to 'Candy Crush' entrepreneur Updated: Sep-03-15 7:33 am
DERBY, England - Derby's American owners have sold the English second-tier club to a local businessman who made a fortune through the "Candy Crush Saga" mobile game.
- England a magnet for players as clubs flex financial muscle Updated: Sep-02-15 6:42 pm
LONDON - For the final months of 2015, clubs in continental Europe can relax: English clubs cannot plunder their top talent until January.
- French amateur club hits jackpot with Martial move to United Updated: Sep-02-15 1:44 pm
PARIS - Anthony Martial's record-breaking move to Manchester United will not only catapult the teenager onto the world's biggest footballing stage, it will also transform the finances of a tiny sixth-tier club in the Paris suburbs.
- Transfer window: Club rifts, failed moves, record spend Updated: Sep-01-15 6:06 pm
LONDON - A record $1.3 billion was spent by English Premier League clubs in the summer transfer window.
- United-Madrid blame game after De Gea deadline-day debacle Updated: Sep-01-15 3:02 pm
MADRID - The deadline arrived, but the announcement never did.
- Man United moves for Martial as rivals stay quiet Updated: Sep-01-15 1:36 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United took a gamble in making French forward Anthony Martial the most expensive teenager in football history as Premier League spending in the summer transfer window reached record levels on Tuesday.
- Premier League player punished after drunk-driving crash Updated: Sep-01-15 8:11 am
MANCHESTER, England - A Premier League footballer must serve a 12-month community order and has been banned from driving for 20 months after driving into three cyclists when over the legal alcohol limit and failing to report the crash.
- Marseille signs Portugal defender Rolando Updated: Aug-31-15 5:27 pm
PARIS - Forced to restructure after the unexpected departure of its coach earlier this month, Marseille bolstered its porous defense by signing three new players including Portugal international Rolando on the final day of Europe's transfer window.
- Wolfsburg snatches Germany midfielder Draxler from Schalke Updated: Aug-31-15 1:33 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - Awash in cash, Wolfsburg broke its club transfer record by signing Germany midfielder Julian Draxler from Schalke on the final day of the European transfer window Monday.
- Monaco puts money first with Martial expected sale Updated: Aug-31-15 9:02 am
PARIS - Not so long ago, Monaco was splashing cash to lure football's biggest stars. In a complete change of commercial strategy, it is now getting rid of Anthony Martial, one of the brightest young players in French football.
- Shaw, Shelvey recalled by England for Euro qualifiers Updated: Aug-30-15 3:38 pm
LONDON - Manchester United defender Luke Shaw and Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey have been rewarded for strong starts to the Premier League season by earning recalls to the England squad for upcoming European Championship qualifiers.
- Man United loses 2-1 to Swansea in Premier League Updated: Aug-30-15 2:32 pm
SWANSEA, Wales - Swansea handed Manchester United its first loss of the Premier League season, rallying with two goals in five minutes in the second half to win 2-1 on Sunday.
- United's biggest problems exposed in 2-1 loss at Swansea Updated: Aug-30-15 2:23 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United's early-season problems at both ends of the pitch were exposed in a 2-1 loss at Swansea on Sunday that ended its unbeaten start in the Premier League.
- Man City breaks transfer record again to sign De Bruyne Updated: Aug-30-15 12:27 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester City demonstrated its financial might by breaking the club's transfer record for the second time this summer to sign Kevin de Bruyne on Sunday, making the Belgium midfielder the second most-expensive player in English football history.
- Liverpool loans out Markovic to Turkish club Fenerbahce Updated: Aug-30-15 9:03 am
LIVERPOOL, England - Liverpool has sent Serbia winger Lazar Markovic on loan to Turkish club Fenerbahce for the rest of the season.
- Giovinco 1 of 9 foreign-based players in Italy squad Updated: Aug-29-15 3:45 pm
MILAN - Antonio Conte recalled Toronto FC forward Sebastian Giovinco to the Italy squad on Saturday for the upcoming European Champions qualifiers against Bulgaria and Malta.
- Defender Jonny Evans leaves Man United for West Brom Updated: Aug-29-15 3:11 pm
WEST BROMWICH, England - Defender Jonny Evans has left Manchester United to join West Bromwich Albion.
- Palace inflicts Mourinho's 2nd loss in 100 home league games Updated: Aug-29-15 2:56 pm
LONDON - More than just a blip in form, Jose Mourinho's Chelsea Premier League title defense is in trouble after only four games.
- Correction: High-Tech Practice story Updated: Aug-28-15 7:57 pm
ST. JOSEPH, Missouri - In a story Aug. 20 about professional sports teams using GPS devices to track player performance, The Associated Press reported, based on information provided by StatSports, that the New York Knicks were using the technology. The Knicks are not clients of StatSports.
- Flamboyant Depay already a crowd-pleaser at Man United Updated: Aug-28-15 12:44 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Players who have flourished in the iconic No. 7 jersey at Manchester United have had three attributes in common: attitude, ability and aura.
- Blind replaces Van Persie with Robben as Netherlands captain Updated: Aug-28-15 11:38 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Arjen Robben replaced striker Robin van Persie as captain of the Netherlands on Friday in Danny Blind's first squad since taking over from Guus Hiddink as national coach.
- Spain coach calls up David de Gea for Euro 2016 qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 am
MADRID - Spain coach Vicente del Bosque on Friday included goalkeeper David de Gea, Diego Costa and Juan Mata in his squad to take on Slovakia and Macedonia in qualifying matches for next year's European Championship.
- Germany picks Liverpool's Emre Can for Euro qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:09 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Germany coach Joachim Loew called up Liverpool midfielder Emre Can on Friday for the upcoming European Championship qualifying matches against Poland and Scotland.
- Former European champs Ajax, Celtic grouped in Europa League Updated: Aug-28-15 8:59 am
MONACO - Former European champions Ajax and Celtic were drawn together with Fenerbahce and Molde in the Europa League groups on Friday.
- Mexico interim coach Ferretti excludes Ochoa for friendlies Updated: Aug-27-15 5:48 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's new interim coach Ricardo Ferretti has left goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa and brothers Jonathan and Giovani Dos Santos out of the squad for the upcoming friendlies next month against Trinidad and Tobaho and Argentina.