- Judge issues warrant for former US Senate candidate's arrest Updated: Jul-02-15 7:09 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A judge has issued a warrant for the arrest of a former South Dakota U.S. Senate candidate charged with election law violations because the Black Hawk man failed to appear in court this week.
- How Obama reversed course on federal college ratings Updated: Jul-02-15 6:55 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama dearly wanted to get the government in the business of rating colleges and universities based on value and affordability, promising a new system by 2015. Now that goal is shriveling under the weight of a concerted opposition from universities, lawmakers and bureaucrats in Obama's own administration.
- McConnell: Senate unlikely to confirm ambassador to Cuba Updated: Jul-02-15 5:28 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the Republican majority is unlikely to confirm an ambassador to Cuba as the United States prepares to re-open its embassy in the communist country after more than 50 years of hostile relations.
- Top Republican doubts Senate will confirm ambassador to Cuba Updated: Jul-02-15 4:32 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that his chamber is unlikely to approve an American ambassador to Cuba, dishing out a quick rebuff to President Barack Obama and his drive to normalize relations with the U.S. neighbor and longtime Cold War foe.
- US senator ends visit to Venezuela, urges moderation Updated: Jul-02-15 4:22 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - The chairman of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee wrapped up a trip to crisis-plagued Venezuela by warning the country is on a "destructive path" that could result in more suffering unless the socialist government adopts more moderate policies before congressional elections.
- Nevada Democrats brace for life after Reid's retirement Updated: Jul-02-15 1:26 pm
LAS VEGAS - Local and state officials gathered near Hoover Dam in April to celebrate the groundbreaking of a highway bypass that might ultimately become part of an interstate connecting Las Vegas with Phoenix.
- US Sen. Heitkamp to have hip replacement surgery next month Updated: Jul-02-15 11:38 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - U.S. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp is scheduled for hip replacement surgery next month.
- Oregon senators pass bill tracking toxic chemicals in toys Updated: Jul-01-15 10:18 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Oregon senators took steps to regulate toxic chemicals in children's products and toys when they approved legislation Wednesday requiring a state agency to build a list of chemicals, such as arsenic, mercury and formaldehyde, found in items made for kids under the age of 12.
- McCain, Flake send letter to Senate over flight path changes Updated: Jul-01-15 7:35 pm
PHOENIX - Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake of Arizona have sent a letter to some U.S. Senate committee members about the flight path changes at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
- Sen. Cantwell's bill aims to address water issues in Yakima Updated: Jul-01-15 7:02 pm
YAKIMA, Washington - U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell has introduced legislation aimed at ensuring a reliable supply of water for farmers, municipalities, fish, tribes and others in the Yakima River Basin.
- Former GOP US Senate candidate Annette Bosworth avoids jail Updated: Jul-01-15 6:26 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Former South Dakota U.S. Senate candidate Annette Bosworth will not have to serve immediate jail time for elections violations provided she meets the conditions of three years of probation, according to a sentence handed down by a circuit court judge on Wednesday.
- The Latest: Cuba embassy plan riles Republican hopefuls Updated: Jul-01-15 4:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States and Cuba will open embassies in their capital cities after more than 50 years of hostilities between the two countries. The latest developments (all times local):
- Nevada Congresswoman on overseas trip to Ukraine, Georgia Updated: Jul-01-15 3:01 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada Congresswoman Dina Titus is taking an overseas trip this week with stops in Georgia and Ukraine.
- Feingold reports $2.2M raised since Senate campaign launch Updated: Jul-01-15 11:31 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Former Sen. Russ Feingold says he raised more than $2.2 million in the second quarter as he seeks a return to the Senate.
- Trade schools have to find grads jobs, or lose financial aid Updated: Jul-01-15 10:45 am
WASHINGTON - Exotic dancers hired as admissions counselors. Recruiters told to seek out "impatient" individuals who have "few people in their lives who care about them." Military personnel still recovering from brain damage told to sign on the dotted line.
- US Sen. Schumer wants better access to Hudson River Updated: Jul-01-15 3:09 am
FORT MONTGOMERY, New York - U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer is calling on the federal government to help create more and better access to the Hudson River.
- The Latest: Maine Legislature OKs $100M in bond proposals Updated: Jun-30-15 10:55 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The latest on the Maine Legislature's rush to finish its work for the session (all times local):
- Federal Export-Import Bank set for midnight expiration Updated: Jun-30-15 7:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Conservatives cheered the demise of the federal Export-Import Bank Tuesday and vowed to beat back efforts to revive it, even as business leaders and the White House issued dire warnings that letting the agency expire at midnight would hurt U.S. competitiveness globally.
- US senator on visit to Venezuela amid diplomatic detente Updated: Jun-30-15 5:55 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The Republican chairman of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee is making a surprise visit to Venezuela amid a U.S. effort to reduce tensions with the South American nation.
- Las Vegas man accused of threatening Obama in Facebook posts Updated: Jun-30-15 5:47 pm
LAS VEGAS - A Las Vegas man accused of posting Facebook threats to harm President Barack Obama was arrested with seven registered guns after being overheard asking about buying a type of fertilizer used in the bombing of the Oklahoma City federal building 20 years ago, according to court records reviewed Tuesday.
- Questions and answers about the expiring Export-Import Bank Updated: Jun-30-15 11:58 am
WASHINGTON - The Export-Import Bank expires Tuesday at midnight for the first time since the small federal agency was created during the Depression to help U.S. businesses export their products. Congress failed to renew the bank's charter because of opposition from Republicans who say it amounts to corporate welfare. However, the shutdown may end up being only temporary.
- Rounds presents Congressional medal to late SD man's family Updated: Jun-30-15 6:25 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - South Dakota U.S. Sen. Mike Rounds has presented the Congressional Gold Medal to the family of a man who served as a Civil Air Patrol pilot during World War II.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Jun-30-15 6:10 am
Crunch time in Greece as bailout due to expire, IMF loan due with no deal in sight
- US Supreme Court upholds Arizona congressional maps Updated: Jun-29-15 4:01 pm
PHOENIX - The U.S. Supreme Court refused Monday to throw out Arizona's voter-approved system for redrawing congressional district lines - a major loss for Republicans in the Arizona Legislature that keeps the current maps in place for seven more years.
- Democratic state lawmaker won't make Indiana's US Senate bid Updated: Jun-29-15 1:28 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A state lawmaker considered a possible Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate next year has decided against entering the race.