- From Homeland to hair: Clinton emails peek into the personal Updated: Nov-30-15 7:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest release of Hillary Clinton's private emails show her, as secretary of state, dealing with the complicated politics of the Arab Spring, fending off questions about her role in the deadly 2012 Benghazi attacks and attempting to navigate an intensifying conflict between Israel and Palestine.
- Fed moves to bar bailouts of failing firms Updated: Nov-30-15 6:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve officials have moved to prevent the central bank from bailing out failing companies, a power it exercised during the 2008 financial crisis.
- EPA boosts amount of ethanol in gasoline supply Updated: Nov-30-15 6:02 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is boosting the amount of corn-based ethanol and other renewable fuels in the U.S. gasoline supply despite sustained opposition by an unusual alliance of oil companies, environmentalists and some GOP presidential candidates.
- Walker to attend Christmas tree lighting, testify at hearing Updated: Nov-30-15 6:00 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Bill Walker is heading to Washington, D.C., to attend the U.S. Capitol Christmas tree lighting and to testify before a U.S. Senate committee.
- House may move quickly to overhaul visa waiver program Updated: Nov-30-15 5:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress may move quickly to overhaul a program that allows travel to the U.S. with no visa, something that has come under criticism following the Paris terror attacks.
- Schumer: Possible Senate step up won't dim love for upstate Updated: Nov-30-15 4:07 pm
ALBANY, New York - Sen. Charles Schumer capped off another year with visits to every county in New York state, promising Monday to return again in 2016 even if he is elevated to lead the U.S. Senate's Democrats.
- Dates set for TV debates for big North Carolina races Updated: Nov-30-15 3:55 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Some televised debates are planned for North Carolina races for governor and U.S. Senate next year.
- McCarthy predicts no gov't shutdown over Planned Parenthood Updated: Nov-30-15 2:50 pm
WASHINGTON - A top House leader predicted Monday that Washington will avoid stumbling into a government shutdown next week over a tea party-backed drive to take away Planned Parenthood's funding.
- Paul files for president, re-election in Kentucky Updated: Nov-30-15 12:59 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - U.S. Sen. Rand Paul officially filed for re-election and for president in his home state Monday, a move he insists does not undermine his faltering presidential campaign.
- Obama prods world on climate change, faces pushback at home Updated: Nov-29-15 8:52 pm
PARIS - Facing pushback at home, President Barack Obama said Sunday that American leadership was helping make gains in the global fight against climate change as he tried to reassure world leaders assembling for a historic conference in Paris that the U.S. can deliver on its own commitments.
- Analysis: Edwards' victory has ripple effect across politics Updated: Nov-29-15 5:16 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - While analysts were still sifting through the results of the Louisiana governor's race, politicians already were moving beyond how it happened that a Democrat won the job and looking ahead to the ramifications of voters' decision.
- Kline, Franken back rewrite of No Child Left Behind Act Updated: Nov-29-15 4:14 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota will gain more control over its schools if Congress approves a rewrite of the federal No Child Left Behind law, according to two Minnesota lawmakers who helped forge the deal.
- Ohio Senate race already drawing millions in early spending Updated: Nov-29-15 2:19 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland has been targeted by one of the nation's heaviest early barrages of outside spending as he seeks to unseat U.S. Sen. Rob Portman next year, and groups that support Strickland's victory are also taking aim at Portman in some big-money ad buys.
- Massachusetts' newest members of Congress strong fundraisers Updated: Nov-29-15 12:56 pm
BOSTON - The three newest members of Massachusetts' all-Democratic congressional delegation are turning out to be three of its most prolific fundraisers.
- Sen. Warren: Low-wage workers deserve predictable schedules Updated: Nov-28-15 9:49 am
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is hoping the holiday season will bring attention to one of her major legislative priorities.
- After Paris, US political shift on privacy vs. security Updated: Nov-28-15 8:42 am
WASHINGTON - The Paris attacks have renewed debate on the U.S. government's post-Sept. 11 domestic surveillance laws, leading to efforts to revive the issue on Capitol Hill and handing Marco Rubio an opening against Ted Cruz in the Republican presidential race.
- Some key GOP activists in Ohio still wrestling with pick Updated: Nov-27-15 12:38 pm
CINCINNATI - The shopping days before the presidential nominating season begins are dwindling, leaving Republican activists in a GOP stronghold region of Ohio still checking the field's long list to choose the right candidate for them.
- Clarification: Congress-Health Repeal story Updated: Nov-25-15 3:58 pm
WASHINGTON - In a story Nov. 24, The Associated Press listed Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., as one of several Republican senators who might find it difficult to vote for a bill eliminating federal money for Planned Parenthood.
- US Senator talks with inmates about reducing recidivism Updated: Nov-25-15 1:23 pm
CRANSTON, Rhode Island - Rhode Island prison inmates have given a U.S. Senator something to think about.
- Recent editorials from Texas newspapers Updated: Nov-24-15 8:31 pm
The Dallas Morning News. Nov. 23, 2015.
- Arizona health insurance co-op to close shop Dec. 31 Updated: Nov-24-15 7:58 pm
PHOENIX - Executives with Arizona's nonprofit health insurance co-op said Tuesday that they have failed to come up with additional financial backing and the insurer plans to shut down all operations Dec. 31.
- Sanders outlines plan to overhaul immigration laws Updated: Nov-24-15 5:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders vowed Tuesday to create a "humane" immigration system and said if elected he would expand upon President Barack Obama's executive actions within the first 100 days of assuming the presidency.
- Alcoa to keep smelting plant open after NY offers incentives Updated: Nov-24-15 4:14 pm
ALBANY, New York - Alcoa has backed off a plan to eliminate hundreds of jobs at its smelting operations in northern New York after the state agreed to a series of incentives, Gov. Andrew Cuomo told a crowd of cheering workers Tuesday.
- US Senate giving old computers to North Dakota schools Updated: Nov-24-15 3:47 pm
MCCLUSKY, North Dakota - More than three dozen computers no longer used at the U.S. Senate are going to a number of schools in North Dakota.
- Senator to ask for probe after immigrant accused in slaying Updated: Nov-24-15 2:03 pm
NORWICH, Connecticut - A U.S. senator says he wants an investigation into a federal agency after a Haitian national was accused of killing a Connecticut woman shortly after his release from prison.