- Obama plans to nominate King as education secretary Updated: Feb-11-16 4:34 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will nominate Dr. John B. King Jr. to serve as Education Department secretary after receiving commitments from lawmakers to give his nomination speedy consideration, the White House said Thursday.
- White House: We agree with Congress on NKorea sanctions Updated: Feb-11-16 4:10 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration says a North Korea sanctions bill that won Senate approval is consistent with U.S. efforts to increase pressure on North Korea over its development of nuclear weapons.
- Lawmakers urge federal agency to build campus in Illinois Updated: Feb-11-16 4:08 pm
MASCOUTAH, Illinois - Members of Illinois' congressional delegation are appealing to the head of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency in support of Scott Air Force Base's bid to host its new facility.
- The Latest: Taylor has no problem letting voters decide pot Updated: Feb-11-16 4:07 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest from a forum for journalists organized by The Associated Press (all times local):
- Dems seek drug abuse funds as election-year issue sharpens Updated: Feb-11-16 4:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Congressional Democrats called Thursday for hundreds of millions in emergency spending to fight drug abuse but ran into Republican resistance as another health issue spiraled into an election-year showdown.
- GOP stunned Senate hopeful may be short of ballot signatures Updated: Feb-11-16 3:57 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Two of Indiana's top GOP lawmakers said Thursday that they were surprised to learn Congressman Todd Young may have failed to meet a state ballot requirement in his U.S. Senate campaign, with the Republican leader of the state Senate saying it may be "one of the most colossal mistakes I've ever seen."
- Illinois News Digest Updated: Feb-11-16 2:30 pm
Good afternoon. Here's a look at how AP's general news coverage is shaping up in Illinois at 1:30 p.m. Questions about coverage plans are welcome and should be directed to the AP-Chicago bureau at 312-781-0500 or email@example.com. Herbert McCann is staffing the desk. AP-Chicago News Editor Hugh Dellios can be reached at 312-920-3624 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Indiana News Digest Updated: Feb-11-16 1:44 pm
Here's a look at AP's Indiana news coverage at 1:30 p.m.
- Congress gives final OK to banning local Internet taxes Updated: Feb-11-16 1:35 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress voted Thursday to permanently bar state and local governments from taxing access to the Internet, as lawmakers leapt at an election-year chance to demonstrate their opposition to imposing levies on online service.
- Ex-Ohio Gov. Celeste backs unendorsed underdog for US Senate Updated: Feb-11-16 1:09 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio Gov. Richard Celeste handed his endorsement on Thursday to the underdog in the Democratic race for U.S. Senate, candidate P.G. Sittenfeld.
- Senators: Let female WWII pilots into Arlington Cemetery Updated: Feb-11-16 12:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Two dozen U.S. senators want the Army to reverse a policy change barring female World War II pilots from having their ashes placed at Arlington National Cemetery.
- Senate passes bill to hit North Korea with harsher sanctions Updated: Feb-10-16 9:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Seeking to derail North Korea's drive for nuclear weapons, Republican and Democratic senators set aside their partisan differences Wednesday to unanimously pass legislation aimed at starving Pyongyang of the money it needs to build an atomic arsenal.
- The Latest: Bush says he won't blame Obama for problems Updated: Feb-10-16 8:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Here's the latest on the 2016 presidential race as Republican and Democratic candidates head from New Hampshire to South Carolina and beyond. All times local:
- White House: Scrap drilling revenue sharing with Gulf states Updated: Feb-10-16 7:33 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana's U.S. senators and environmental groups are blasting the White House for proposing to help Alaska deal with rising seas by taking money away from similar efforts along the Gulf Coast.
- Senate urges federal term limits, condemns Israel boycotts Updated: Feb-10-16 6:59 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Florida Senate is sending two messages to Congress: set term limits for senators and representatives, and condemn efforts to boycott Israel.
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Feb-10-16 6:19 pm
The Durango Herald, Feb. 3, on end-of-life choices for the terminally ill:
- Senate panel votes to hold website in contempt over sex ads Updated: Feb-10-16 4:38 pm
WASHINGTON - A Senate panel voted on Wednesday to hold the classified advertising website Backpage.com in civil contempt for failing to comply with a congressional subpoena into how it screens ads for possible sex trafficking.
- Wisconsin's Feingold avoiding Democratic presidential pick Updated: Feb-10-16 4:33 pm
MILWAUKEE - Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders? The question is much more than a ballot choice for Democrat Russ Feingold, whose hopes of reclaiming the Senate seat he held for 18 years rests with Wisconsin voters heavily invested in the presidential nomination fight.
- Ryan, Republicans grapple with alternative to Obama budget Updated: Feb-10-16 2:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Meet the new boss. Confronting the same tea party challenges as the old boss.
- Prosecutor in ex-coal CEO case Manchin's US attorney pick Updated: Feb-10-16 1:04 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The prosecutor on former Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship's case is Sen. Joe Manchin's pick for U.S. attorney.
- Ex-Ohio Gov. Celeste backs unendorsed underdog for US Senate Updated: Feb-10-16 12:14 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - In his U.S. Senate campaign against one former Ohio governor, Democrat P.G. Sittenfeld has landed the support of another.
- Feingold to skip Democratic presidential debate in Milwaukee Updated: Feb-10-16 9:15 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Russ Feingold is skipping the Democratic presidential debate in his home state of Wisconsin.
- Key developments following North Korea's rocket launch Updated: Feb-10-16 5:06 am
North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket has drawn sharp condemnations and threats of new sanctions. World leaders say Sunday's launch violated a U.N. ban on Pyongyang's use of ballistic missile technology. North Korea says the launch of a new Earth observation satellite, the Kwangmyongsong 4, or Shining Star 4, is part of a peaceful space program.
- New Mexico House approves ethics commission plan Updated: Feb-09-16 11:56 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico has moved closer than ever to creating an independent ethics commission to keep watch over the conduct of public officials in the wake of a campaign finance scandal that led the resignation and jailing of former Secretary of State Dianna Duran.
- House tax break bill would mean $23M for Maine schools Updated: Feb-09-16 8:23 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine lawmakers are divided along party lines over whether to carry over several personal and business tax breaks to state income tax returns after Congress revived the expired breaks in December.