- Next up in NY Legislature: Uber, ethics and NYC schools Updated: May-01-16 1:51 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York lawmakers will return to Albany on Tuesday to begin the final weeks of their work for 2016, confronting a to-do list that includes a possible upstate expansion for Uber, a decision on control of public schools in New York City and the challenge of addressing Albany's perennial corruption problem.
- NY congressional candidate says rival falsified petitions Updated: Apr-29-16 7:19 pm
NEW YORK - A New York congressional candidate is accusing one of his rivals of submitting "fraudulent signatures" on nominating petitions required to get on the ballot for the Democratic primary.
- Lawmakers call on Christie to back Port Authority bill Updated: Apr-27-16 6:00 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Democratic lawmakers from New Jersey and New York are calling on Republican Gov. Chris Christie to sign a measure overhauling the powerful bistate agency that oversees the regions airports, bridges and tunnels.
- Democrats: Don't delay Senate swearing in for Kaminsky Updated: Apr-21-16 12:55 pm
ALBANY, New York - Democrats say the swearing in of New York's newest state senator shouldn't be delayed because Senate Republicans are demanding a full recount in the election on Long Island to replace ex-GOP Senate Leader Dean Skelos, who was convicted of corruption.
- More upstate mayors join call to let Uber expand Updated: Apr-21-16 10:31 am
ALBANY, New York - The mayors of four cities in upstate New York have joined an effort to allow Uber to expand outside of New York City.
- Feds want 10-plus years in prison for former top NY lawmaker Updated: Apr-20-16 3:59 pm
NEW YORK - Prosecutors urged a judge Wednesday to set an example by sending Sheldon Silver to prison for substantially more than a decade in prison, saying the former New York Assembly speaker corrupted the institution he led for over two decades and caused "immeasurable damage" to the democratic process and public trust as he bartered his power to earn $5 million illegally.
- NY lawmaker asks for inquiry into police-involved shooting Updated: Apr-20-16 6:16 am
NEW YORK - A New York legislator has asked Gov. Andrew Cuomo to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the fatal shooting of a 32-year-old man in Queens over the weekend.
- The Latest: Democrat Kaminsky declares win for NY Senate Updated: Apr-19-16 11:45 pm
ALBANY, New York - The Latest on the special legislative elections in New York (all times Eastern Daylight Time):
- Cuomo vows to support organized labor in NY Updated: Apr-19-16 5:34 pm
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday that he believes in the labor movement, telling union construction workers he won't sign legislation in New York that's not fair to organized labor.
- New York to help cities, farmers adapt to climate change Updated: Apr-18-16 1:34 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York state plans to give select cities and towns a piece of $11 million to boost green energy use and prepare for the effects of climate change.
- Judge refuses to grant new trial to ex-Senate leader, son Updated: Apr-15-16 4:51 pm
NEW YORK - A judge has refused to grant a new trial to former New York Senate leader Dean Skelos and his adult son after concluding that evidence produced by the government supported the jury verdict.
- Nurses push NY lawmakers to pass minimum staffing law Updated: Apr-13-16 4:43 pm
ALBANY, New York - Nearly 2,000 nurses from around New York state traveled to the Capitol in Albany on Wednesday to urge lawmakers to pass a minimum staffing law that would mandate how many nurses are on duty at hospitals and nursing homes.
- Mel Brooks records telephone endorsement in NY Senate race Updated: Apr-12-16 2:22 pm
MINEOLA, New York - Mel Brooks is offering a ringing endorsement for his great-nephew, who's running for a seat in New York's state Senate.
- NY lawmakers to review online lending to small businesses Updated: Apr-11-16 2:29 am
ALBANY, New York - New York lawmakers are reviewing how online lending may offer help to small businesses looking to get off the ground or expand.
- Long Island Senate race holds wider implications for Albany Updated: Apr-10-16 10:53 am
ALBANY, New York - Voters on Long island will soon pick a replacement for a convicted former top lawmaker in a contest that could help give Democrats complete control over New York state government.
- New Jersey lawmakers send Port Authority reform to Christie Updated: Apr-07-16 6:11 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers sent a bill to Gov. Chris Christie's desk to overhaul the bistate agency that controls the New York City region's airports, bridges and tunnels, though the measure is different from one passed in New York.
- New York starts $100 million downtown revitalization effort Updated: Apr-07-16 4:48 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York state is launching a new program to help 10 cities and towns improve their downtowns.
- Uber, Lyft reignite plans to expand into upstate NY Updated: Apr-06-16 4:02 pm
ALBANY, New York - Uber and Lyft are gearing up for a campaign to expand their ride-hailing operations into upstate New York to include Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany.
- Airports in upstate New York to vie for $200M in state funds Updated: Apr-06-16 12:39 am
ALBANY, New York - More than 70 airports in upstate New York are eligible to compete for a share of $200 million in state funds up for grabs in a new state competition from Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
- The Latest: Legal experts say new law violates 1st Amendment Updated: Apr-05-16 8:06 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Latest on Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant signing a bill law that allows religious groups and some private employers to refuse service to gay couples based on religious beliefs (all times local):
- Bill would force NY police to report data on arrests, deaths Updated: Apr-05-16 2:59 pm
ALBANY, New York - Police departments would have to report more about arrests and the deaths of people in custody under legislation pending in the New York state Legislature.
- Prosecutors seek 12-15 years in prison for ex-Senate leader Updated: Apr-04-16 10:42 pm
NEW YORK - A judge should sentence a former state Senate leader for his extortion conviction to about 12 to 15 years in prison, federal prosecutors said in pre-sentencing submissions filed Monday.
- NY budget spends $200M to help cities pay for water upgrades Updated: Apr-03-16 10:31 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's new state budget is investing $200 million in local projects to upgrade drinking water and waste water infrastructure around the state.
- New York state budget: wage hike, tax cut, paid family leave Updated: Apr-02-16 11:21 am
ALBANY, New York - A plan to raise New York's minimum wage to $15 is getting most of the attention around the country, but there's plenty of other big ideas in a new state budget approved by state lawmakers Friday.
- New York's new budget boosts environmental spending Updated: Apr-02-16 8:38 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's new state budget includes $500 million for environmental programs including water system upgrades and rebates for electric vehicle purchases.