- Clarification: Congress-Health Repeal story Updated: Nov-25-15 3:58 pm
WASHINGTON - In a story Nov. 24, The Associated Press listed Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., as one of several Republican senators who might find it difficult to vote for a bill eliminating federal money for Planned Parenthood.
- Congressional hopeful rejected by GOP in '14 running again Updated: Nov-24-15 2:56 pm
NILES, Illinois - A suburban Chicago woman whom GOP officials unsuccessfully tried to toss from their 2014 primary ballot after she linked same-sex marriage and abortions to autism, dementia and tornadoes is running for Congress again.
- Florida Gov. Scott's budget: Tax cuts, more for schools Updated: Nov-23-15 8:22 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - Florida Gov. Rick Scott, surrounded by rows of machines and dozens of manufacturing employees, on Monday announced a nearly $79.3 billion spending plan for the coming year that is heavy on tax cuts and help for businesses.
- Congressmen readying for announcement on US Senate race Updated: Nov-23-15 5:09 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Two of Louisiana's congressmen are making it clear they intend to run for the U.S. Senate next year, after Republican David Vitter announced he won't seek re-election.
- House Dean Rep. Conyers announces re-election campaign Updated: Nov-23-15 3:36 pm
DETROIT - Michigan Rep. John Conyers declared his candidacy for a 27th consecutive term in Congress on Monday, saying he wants to continue pressing for employment opportunities and universal health care coverage.
- After victory, Edwards starts piecing together transition Updated: Nov-22-15 6:26 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Fresh off a strong victory in the Louisiana governor's race, Democrat John Bel Edwards began to work Sunday on his plans for the transition into his new office and an upcoming term in which he'll have to grapple with a hefty state financial crisis.
- Cloudy future for solar bill as lawmakers break for holidays Updated: Nov-21-15 11:23 am
BOSTON - Sunshine may be free, but the future of a key solar power bill remains cloudy on Beacon Hill.
- US Rep. Clark pushing bill to combat "swatting" attacks Updated: Nov-21-15 10:49 am
BOSTON - U.S. Rep. Katherine Clark is pushing legislation aimed at combatting so-called "swatting" attacks.
- House OK of GOP Syrian refugee curbs is just start of fight Updated: Nov-20-15 10:00 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans have embarrassed President Barack Obama by winning veto-proof House approval of legislation blocking Syrian and Iraqi refugees from the U.S., but from here the effort may take a different turn in Congress.
- Bipartisan agreement on bill to rework No Child Left Behind Updated: Nov-20-15 4:22 am
WASHINGTON - The Bush-era No Child Left Behind education law has long been criticized as unworkable, too punitive and in need of repair. After years of trying, Congress is finally on the verge of rewriting the 2002 law.
- Congress buys more time to pass a transportation bill Updated: Nov-20-15 1:29 am
WASHINGTON - Congress has bought itself more time to finish work on a long-term transportation bill.
- House launches probe of Rep. Pittenger but will defer to FBI Updated: Nov-19-15 6:06 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The House Ethics Committee said Thursday that it will delay a probe into Republican U.S. Rep. Robert Pittenger while federal authorities investigate his family's business.
- 2 Massachusetts Reps. back GOP bill to curb Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-19-15 4:46 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts' all-Democratic U.S. House delegation has split on the issue of whether to establish fresh hurdles for Syrian and Iraqi refugees trying to enter the United States.
- Guns on campus among 4 gun bills set for full chamber votes Updated: Nov-19-15 4:28 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A contentious proposal to let concealed weapons permit holders bring guns on state university and college campuses was among four firearm bills that made their final committee stops Thursday and will now be before their respective legislative chambers.
- Utah's Mia Love endorses Marco Rubio for president Updated: Nov-19-15 2:28 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - U.S. Rep. Mia Love of Utah is endorsing Republican candidate Marco Rubio for president.
- Missouri lawmakers seek special session over refugees Updated: Nov-18-15 7:59 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - Some Republican Missouri lawmakers are calling for a special legislative session aimed at preventing Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon from allowing Syrian refugees to resettle in the state, adding to a wave of pressure on the issue from primarily GOP officials.
- Key issues before Legislature in final 2015 sessions Updated: Nov-18-15 6:09 pm
BOSTON - A look at some of the key issues before the Massachusetts Legislature as the House and Senate on Wednesday held the final formal sessions of 2015. Bills that do not win final approval but are not defeated altogether remain alive and could be taken up again during the second year of the two-year legislative session in 2016.
- Passport in Paris attacks fuels fears of Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-18-15 5:55 pm
WARSAW, Poland - After the bombs and Kalashnikov fire of the Paris attacks, a mere document - a passport - found near the body of an attacker is generating a new wave of dread throughout Europe and beyond. But whether the document ended up there by chance, or was part of an elaborate plot to sow panic, is not clear.
- Senator pushing medical exam bill to benefit pilots like him Updated: Nov-18-15 4:02 pm
WASHINGTON - Sen. Jim Inhofe, an 81-year-old avid pilot who had quadruple heart bypass surgery two years ago, is trying to loosen medical exam requirements so that private pilots like him don't have to make so many doctors' visits to show they are fit to fly.
- Lawmakers approve task force on plans to solve drug crisis Updated: Nov-18-15 3:44 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A task force charged with reviewing legislation that aims to tackle a devastating drug crisis in New Hampshire will begin working on Tuesday, although some lawmakers said that now is the time for action, not more discussion.
- Oklahoma US Rep. Mullin picked for highway bill committee Updated: Nov-18-15 3:43 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma Republican U.S. Rep. Markwayne Mullin has been picked to join a conference committee tasked with developing a final, long-term highway bill.
- Democrat announces plans to challenge Rob Bishop next year Updated: Nov-18-15 10:57 am
OGDEN, Utah - An Ogden doctor says he will once again try to challenge U.S. Rep. Rob Bishop in the race for Utah's 1st Congressional District.
- Republicans rush to shut borders to Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-18-15 9:40 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans urged an immediate closure of America's borders to Syrian refugees Tuesday, drawing angry denunciations from President Barack Obama and other Democrats and igniting an emotional debate about U.S. values in the wake of the deadly Paris terror attacks.
- Proposed changes spark debate in Ohio's cosmetology industry Updated: Nov-18-15 9:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Two bills pending in Ohio's House and Senate are pitting big hair salons against cosmetology schools as lawmakers propose eliminating the state's mandate requiring someone with a manager's license on salon premises at all times.
- US Rep. Quigley: New group to address transgender rights Updated: Nov-18-15 4:04 am
CHICAGO - Illinois Congressman Mike Quigley says he's joined other Democrats in creating a task force to help ensure equal rights for transgender people.