- Rhode Island governor signs truck toll bill Updated: Feb-11-16 7:50 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Gov. Gina Raimondo signed into law on Thursday a bill that will impose a toll on big-rig trucks traveling highways through Rhode Island, culminating an eight-month debate that captivated the nation's smallest state and infuriated its truckers.
- Standoff over guns at Tennessee legislative office complex Updated: Feb-11-16 7:49 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - If it's up to the Republican speakers of the state House and Senate, the more than half-million Tennesseans with permits will soon be able to carry guns inside the legislative office complex.
- New Mexico braces for budget crunch linked to oil prices Updated: Feb-11-16 7:42 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The chairman of New Mexico's Senate Finance Committee warned Thursday that the state could be short on revenue by $700 million or more during the current fiscal year because of reduced income from oil and gas production and anemic corporate and sales tax receipts.
- Official unsure of where Iran's enriched uranium is stored Updated: Feb-11-16 5:48 pm
WASHINGTON - A State Department official told lawmakers Thursday he was unsure of the precise location of tons of low-enriched uranium shipped out of Iran on a Russian vessel as part of the landmark nuclear agreement.
- Change would allow handguns at Tennessee legislative complex Updated: Feb-11-16 4:39 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The leaders of the Tennessee House and Senate are moving to end a total gun ban at the legislative office complex.
- House report details EPA missteps in Colorado mine spill Updated: Feb-11-16 4:04 pm
DENVER - A probe of a mine waste accident in Colorado that fouled rivers in three states with arsenic, lead and other toxic substances has found further evidence that government workers knew a spill from the gold mine was possible, according to documents released Thursday by a U.S. House committee.
- GOP stunned Senate hopeful may be short of ballot signatures Updated: Feb-11-16 3:57 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Two of Indiana's top GOP lawmakers said Thursday that they were surprised to learn Congressman Todd Young may have failed to meet a state ballot requirement in his U.S. Senate campaign, with the Republican leader of the state Senate saying it may be "one of the most colossal mistakes I've ever seen."
- Kansas House passes fix for budget gap; Senate has own plan Updated: Feb-11-16 2:48 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a bill that would erase a shortfall in the next state budget, and the Senate is preparing to debate its own budget-balancing plan.
- Florida Legislature divided over budget and tax cuts Updated: Feb-11-16 2:36 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Florida Legislature has less than a month left in its regular session to reach a deal over a new state budget.
- House bill would attempt to better rehabilitate prisoners Updated: Feb-11-16 1:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Inmates could receive credits for taking part in rehabilitation programs such as education or job training under legislation advanced by a House panel.
- Change would allow handguns at Tennessee legislative complex Updated: Feb-11-16 11:09 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The leaders of the state House and Senate are moving to end a total gun ban at the legislative office complex.
- New Mexico House approves police double dipping bill Updated: Feb-10-16 11:31 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico's House of Representatives has approved provisions for some retired law enforcement officers to return to work while also receiving pension benefits.
- Florida Gov. remains mum on how to fix state's death penalty Updated: Feb-10-16 10:56 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - With Florida's death penalty law in limbo due to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, Emilee Cope on Wednesday described in chilling detail how her father, Keith, was hog-tied and left for dead back in 2009 when she was a teenager.
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Feb-10-16 6:19 pm
The Durango Herald, Feb. 3, on end-of-life choices for the terminally ill:
- More waiting on congressional maps with Roberts' request Updated: Feb-10-16 5:45 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina voters and legislators will be kept guessing for at least several more days on whether the state's current congressional districts can be used in the March 15 primary or have to be redrawn before votes are cast.
- Latest: Flint mayor asks Obama to visit her city Updated: Feb-10-16 5:37 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The latest on developments in the lead contamination of Flint's water (all times local):
- Missouri lawmakers act to block home care worker wage hike Updated: Feb-10-16 5:14 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The Missouri House voted Wednesday to block a state agency rule that would increase wages for home care attendants, sending the measure to Gov. Jay Nixon.
- The Latest: Pennsylvania AG vows to continue email probe Updated: Feb-10-16 3:32 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The latest on the Pennsylvania Senate's plan for a vote on Wednesday to remove Attorney General Kathleen Kane (all times local):
- Ryan, Republicans grapple with alternative to Obama budget Updated: Feb-10-16 2:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Meet the new boss. Confronting the same tea party challenges as the old boss.
- Lottery bills get first discussion in Alabama Legislature Updated: Feb-10-16 10:11 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Lottery legislation is getting its first debate in the Alabama Legislature.
- SC State budget improves; bailout forgiveness bill advances Updated: Feb-10-16 9:41 am
ORANGEBURG, South Carolina - The budget picture at South Carolina State University is improving.
- Special election held for 2 vacancies in Legislature Updated: Feb-10-16 1:52 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Unofficial election results show voters in the Twin Cities suburbs have picked two Republicans to fill vacancies at the Minnesota Legislature.
- New Mexico House approves ethics commission plan Updated: Feb-09-16 11:56 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico has moved closer than ever to creating an independent ethics commission to keep watch over the conduct of public officials in the wake of a campaign finance scandal that led the resignation and jailing of former Secretary of State Dianna Duran.
- House tax break bill would mean $23M for Maine schools Updated: Feb-09-16 8:23 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine lawmakers are divided along party lines over whether to carry over several personal and business tax breaks to state income tax returns after Congress revived the expired breaks in December.
- House approves bill to tighten control on VA construction Updated: Feb-09-16 5:19 pm
WASHINGTON - The House on Tuesday approved a bill to increase oversight and management of large construction projects at the Department of Veterans Affairs after a new VA hospital outside Denver tripled original cost estimates.