- Pentagon to survey S. Carolina brig for Guantanamo detainees Updated: Sep-01-15 5:53 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Pentagon team is coming to South Carolina this week to evaluate whether the Navy brig near Charleston could be suitable to house detainees from the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, officials said Tuesday.
- McCrory says he's trying to influence state budget outcome Updated: Sep-01-15 4:28 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Gov. Pat McCrory said Tuesday that fellow Republicans should have approved a final North Carolina budget long ago, but acknowledged lawmakers must sort out a range of opinions before one's finalized.
- A look at where Senate Democrats stand on the Iran deal Updated: Sep-01-15 2:31 pm
Congress will vote this month on a resolution to disapprove of the White House-backed nuclear deal struck with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany. The deal aims to dismantle Iran's nuclear capabilities in exchange for billions in international sanctions relief.
- US Rep. Jeff Duncan listening to voters in SC district Updated: Sep-01-15 4:04 am
LAURENS, South Carolina - U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan is spending some time in his South Carolina district this week, listening to voters and holding various meetings.
- US Rep. Joe Kennedy backing Iran nuclear weapons deal Updated: Aug-31-15 1:47 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Rep. Joe Kennedy is backing the nuclear deal with Iran, joining a majority of the state's all-Democratic congressional delegation in supporting the international agreement.
- GOP Senate candidates slam Obama, "Washington Republicans" Updated: Aug-29-15 2:01 pm
TAMPA, Florida - They railed against the Obama administration's foreign policy. They scolded "Washington Republicans." And they decried the $18 trillion national debt and the dysfunction of a Congress that cannot get anything done.
- As Common Core results trickle in, initial goals unfulfilled Updated: Aug-29-15 9:31 am
LOS ANGELES - Results for some of the states that participated in Common Core-aligned testing for the first time this spring are out, with overall scores higher than expected though still below what many parents may be accustomed to seeing.
- Candidates looking to replace Schock meet for another debate Updated: Aug-27-15 11:08 pm
WASHINGTON, Illinois - The two candidates seeking Illinois' 18th Congressional District seat vacated by Aaron Schock for the most part reiterated their positions on the economy Thursday during a second debate in as many days.
- Delaware lawmakers eye budget vote procedures Updated: Aug-27-15 6:02 pm
NEW CASTLE, Delaware - Democratic leaders of the legislature's budget-writing committee don't seem interested in changing voting requirements for passage of the state's annual spending plan.
- Prosecutors say congressman seeking to influence jurors Updated: Aug-26-15 10:19 pm
PHILADELPHIA - U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah has tried to influence potential jurors in his racketeering case by publicly boasting about his accomplishments in Congress, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.
- Former Little Rock school board member running for US House Updated: Aug-26-15 6:22 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A former member of the Little Rock School Board said Wednesday she's running for a U.S. House seat in central Arkansas, the first Democrat to launch a congressional bid in the state for 2016.
- Judge will ask Florida Supreme Court to solve map flap Updated: Aug-25-15 4:20 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - It looks like it's going to be up to the Florida Supreme Court to sort out what happens next in the tussle over the state's congressional districts.
- Florida taxpayers pay up: June special session cost $651,000 Updated: Aug-24-15 4:17 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A messy budget fight that forced Florida's legislators to hold an unusual June special session cost taxpayers more than $651,000, according to figures released Monday by the Florida Senate.
- Rep. Fortenberry's invitations delayed after mail complaints Updated: Aug-24-15 4:13 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - U.S. Rep. Jeff Fortenberry of Nebraska has seen his own issues with mail delivery after forwarding along constituents' complaints about slow service to the U.S. postmaster general.
- US. Rep. Kennedy heading to Africa as part of delegation Updated: Aug-22-15 1:46 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Rep. Joe Kennedy is heading to Africa this coming week as part of a bipartisan congressional delegation.
- The Latest: Florida Gov. won't force legislators to return Updated: Aug-21-15 5:57 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The latest on the Florida Legislature's special session to pass new congressional districts for the state (all times local).
- The Latest on Springfield: GOP fires back at Democrats Updated: Aug-20-15 8:33 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The latest on activities in Springfield as Democrats gather for their annual Democratic County Chairman's Association brunch and Democrat Day festivities at the Illinois State Fair:
- Audit: Program with uncertain future finds Medicaid savings Updated: Aug-20-15 7:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The nonprofit program in which primary care physicians keep close tabs on most of North Carolina's Medicaid recipients saves the state more than $300 per patient annually and probably improves their health, according to a state audit released Thursday.
- Lawmakers see own funds dwindle in Pennsylvania budget fight Updated: Aug-20-15 7:49 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The country's largest full-time Legislature will soon have to decide where it will get the money to pay thousands of employees and other costs as its surplus, once more than $200 million, is rapidly dwindling amid Pennsylvania's budget crisis.
- Pine Bluff Democrat announces switch to Republican Party Updated: Aug-20-15 6:17 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - State Rep. Mike Holcomb said Thursday he's switching to the Republican Party, criticizing Democrats for their support of Planned Parenthood as part of the reason why he became the first Arkansas legislator to leave the party since a GOP sweep in November.
- Snyder: Road-funding deal can't jeopardize fiscal outlook Updated: Aug-20-15 5:59 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder said Thursday he will not support any road-funding plan that threatens the state's future budget outlook by redirecting too much in existing funds toward transportation infrastructure.
- Democrat Nightenhelser seeking 3rd District House seat Updated: Aug-20-15 4:49 pm
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - A Huntington businessman says he's running for Congress in northeastern Indiana's Third District.
- Rauner, GOP rally at state fair; Dems nix vetoes Updated: Aug-19-15 8:34 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A re-energized Illinois Republican Party celebrated its newfound influence Wednesday, with party leaders telling a cheering crowd at the Illinois State Fair they are more united than ever against majority Democrats and Gov. Bruce Rauner announcing a goal to have GOP control of the Legislature within eight years.
- The Latest on Springfield: Senate OKs college grant funding Updated: Aug-19-15 8:11 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The latest on activities in Springfield as Gov. Bruce Rauner spends Governor's Day at the Illinois State Fair and action by the Senate on legislation, including overriding several Rauner vetoes:
- Negotiations next step for NC Medicaid, incentives bills Updated: Aug-19-15 4:02 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House is formally rejecting the Senate versions of two key measures that legislative leaders want finalized before adjourning this year.