- Search covers broad area for ship lost in Hurricane Joaquin Updated: Oct-03-15 4:05 pm
NASSAU, Bahamas - An intensive search was under way Saturday in the waters of the southeastern Bahamas for a cargo ship with 33 people on board that lost power and began taking on water during Hurricane Joaquin and has not been heard from since.
- The Latest: Hurricane Joaquin upgraded to Category 4 Updated: Oct-03-15 3:05 pm
MIAMI - The latest on Joaquin and the storm's predicted path. All times local:
- Like residents, Coast Guard battens down hatches for winter Updated: Oct-03-15 11:23 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - As soon as Labor Day comes and goes, a lot changes at the shore. The temperature drops. Beachgoers retreat inland. Boats come out of the bay. All in all, there is less and less activity in the area than just weeks earlier.
- Michigan car ferry shut down after on-board car catches fire Updated: Oct-03-15 9:45 am
IRONTON, Michigan - Authorities say a northern Michigan car ferry is shut down this weekend after a fire damaged the vessel.
- Lobsterman found dead after boat found going in circles Updated: Oct-03-15 9:10 am
ROCKLAND, Maine - Officials say a 78-year-old lobsterman was found dead on his boat after the Coast Guard and Maine Marine Patrol responded to a runaway lobster boat in Rockland.
- The Latest: Rains close highway in North Carolina Updated: Oct-02-15 9:12 pm
MIAMI - The latest on drenching storms threatening the East Coast as Hurricane Joaquin swirls in the Atlantic. All times local:
- Authorities find 2 schooners adrift in Portland Harbor Updated: Oct-02-15 11:43 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Investigators are trying to find out how two large commercial schooners at the Maine State Pier became adrift in Portland Harbor.
- Coast Guard warns swimmers of possible upcoming rip currents Updated: Oct-02-15 4:11 am
MIAMI - The Coast Guard has advised beachgoers to exercise caution while at beaches off the coasts of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina due to the increased possibility of rip currents caused by Hurricane Joaquin.
- Coast Guard suspends Lake Michigan search for 2 missing men Updated: Oct-01-15 9:29 pm
WYOMING, Michigan - The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended a search for two men reported overdue from a fishing trip on Lake Michigan.
- US Coast Guard seized $41M in drugs in Caribbean Sea Updated: Sep-29-15 9:44 am
MIAMI BEACH, Florida - The United States Coast Guard says it seized about $41 million worth of cocaine and marijuana during two recent operations in the Caribbean Sea.
- Coast Guard rescues 6 after boat capsizes off Grand Isle Updated: Sep-28-15 9:48 am
GRAND ISLE, Louisiana - Six people were rescued from a sinking boat near Grand Isle by the U.S. Coast Guard.
- 2 fishermen rescued after boats sinks in Maine waters Updated: Sep-26-15 9:18 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Two fishermen have been rescued after their boat sank about 50 miles off the coast of Portland.
- Coast Guard rescues 2 boaters from Neuse River Updated: Sep-24-15 7:01 am
HOBUCKEN, North Carolina - The Coast Guard has rescued two people from the Neuse River.
- Coast Guard suspends search for missing 38-year-old man Updated: Sep-22-15 2:49 pm
OREGON INLET, North Carolina - The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for a 38-year-old man who was last seen spear fishing near the Bonner Bridge in Oregon Inlet.
- Coast Guard saves 6-foot long leatherback turtle near Maine Updated: Sep-22-15 3:37 am
CAPE ELIZABETH, Maine - A six-foot endangered leatherback turtle has been rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard in Maine.
- Boat overturns in NY's East River; 19 aboard rescued Updated: Sep-21-15 2:37 am
NEW YORK - Nineteen people were dumped into the chilly waters of New York City's East River when their dragon boat overturned, but lifejackets prevented any injuries.
- 1 dead, 6 rescued after boat accident near Baytown Updated: Sep-21-15 12:32 am
HOUSTON - The U.S. Coast Guard says one person has died after an accident involving two boats in Cedar Bayou near Baytown, Texas.
- 4 rescued from burning boat off Galveston, nobody hurt Updated: Sep-20-15 9:25 am
GALVESTON, Texas - Authorities say four people have been safely rescued from a pleasure boat that burned and sank off the Texas coast.
- Coast Guard: Teen free diver found, airlifted to hospital Updated: Sep-19-15 4:53 pm
BOCA RATON, Florida - A 15-year-old boy who disappeared in the Atlantic after free diving with friends has been found.
- Memorial for lighthouse keeper to be dedicated in Bridgeport Updated: Sep-19-15 6:15 am
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - A memorial honoring a 19th century lighthouse keeper who rescued some 21 mariners during her 56-year tenure is set to be dedicated in Bridgeport.
- Coast Guard seizes $12 million worth of cocaine, marijuana Updated: Sep-18-15 2:52 pm
MIAMI - U.S. Coast Guard officials say nearly $12 million worth of cocaine and marijuana in South Florida has been seized in the Caribbean Sea.
- Memories vivid 25 years after tanker exploded in Bay City Updated: Sep-16-15 4:11 am
BAY CITY, Michigan - As a 20-year-old firefighter, only nine months into his career, Todd Shorkey had only heard stories about those "once-in-a-lifetime" fires.
- 2 boaters rescued, tossed into LI Sound after vessels sinks Updated: Sep-15-15 6:37 am
SOUTHOLD, New York - The Coast Guard says two boaters had to be rescued from the Long Island Sound after their 40-foot vessel sank.
- Ferry rescues 2 people from Long Island Sound Updated: Sep-15-15 12:35 am
OLD SAYBROOK, Connecticut - A ferryboat crew has rescued two people from Long Island Sound after their boat sank.
- Bath Iron Works turns to Gephardt to heal labor wounds Updated: Sep-14-15 5:48 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - Bath Iron Works has hired a firm led by former U.S. Rep. Dick Gephardt to improve labor relations as the shipyard and its 5,000-plus workers prepare for a stretch that includes a bidding for a Coast Guard contract and shoring up support for Navy contracts, officials said Monday.