- 3 local mariners being recognized for life-saving efforts Updated: May-26-15 6:52 am
ALEXANDRIA BAY, New York - Three St. Lawrence River mariners are being recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard for rescuing a kayaker a year ago.
- Astoria-based Coast Guard cutter changes command Updated: May-26-15 6:16 am
ASTORIA, Oregon - Cmdr. Patrick Culver has taken over as commander of the U.S. Coast Guard cutter Alert based in Astoria.
- At least 3 missing in Florida waters, 1 off Mississippi Updated: May-25-15 9:41 pm
MIAMI - Rough surf churned up dangerous conditions from swimmers and complicated rescue efforts along Florida beaches over a holiday weekend in which at least four people went missing in boating and swimming incidents, authorities said.
- Agencies search for missing Petal teen swept off Ship Island Updated: May-25-15 7:16 pm
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A 15-year-old Mississippi teenager remained missing Monday after he disappeared during a trip to Ship Island. Coast Guard spokesman Carlos Vega says the boys were looking for crabs.
- Body of missing 16-year-old swimmer found in Grand Isle Updated: May-25-15 5:25 pm
GRAND ISLE, Louisiana - The body of a 16-year-old boy was recovered in Grand Isle after he went missing Sunday afternoon while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico
- Woman hanging on Shell ship since Friday ends drill protest Updated: May-25-15 4:16 pm
BELLINGHAM, Washington - The woman who had been hanging off the anchor chain of a support ship that is part of Royal Dutch Shell's plans to explore for oil in the Arctic Ocean ended her dayslong protest north of Seattle on Monday morning.
- Boater rescued off Sandy Hook by Coast Guard Updated: May-25-15 12:13 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A boater has been rescued by the Coast Guard off the coast of Sandy Hook.
- Astronaut's visit excites Ketchikan students Updated: May-24-15 4:56 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - It takes approximately eight minutes and 52 seconds for a shuttle carrying astronauts to the International Space Station to get to space, according to astronaut Steve Swanson, who visited Ketchikan earlier this month. A shuttle reaches speeds of 5 miles a second in breaching the earth's atmosphere.
- Coast Guard, agencies respond to Cook Inlet fuel spill Updated: May-24-15 1:20 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Coast Guard is responding to a fuel spill in southeastern Cook Inlet.
- Lake Erie boaters subject to Coast Guard boardings Updated: May-24-15 5:19 am
CLEVELAND - As the summer boating season gets underway, the U.S. Coast Guard is reminding Lake Erie boaters that they are subject to involuntary boarding by personnel to check for proper safety equipment.
- Recreational boaters could get Coast Guard inspections Updated: May-24-15 4:04 am
DETROIT - If your Memorial Day weekend plans include boating on the Great Lakes, be prepared for a visit from the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Coast Guard monitoring sunken fishing vessel near Ilwaco Updated: May-23-15 2:25 pm
ILWACO, Washington - The Coast Guard is monitoring a sunken fishing vessel in Ilwaco Channel for possible pollution and as a potential hazard to navigation.
- Coast Guard assisting boat taking on water off Nantucket Updated: May-23-15 1:09 pm
BOSTON - The Coast Guard is assisting a fishing boat that started filling with water off Nantucket.
- Fire on coastal Louisiana oil platform extinguished Updated: May-23-15 12:56 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A fire that burned for more than a day on an oil production platform off Louisiana's coast was extinguished early Saturday, the Coast Guard said.
- Anger builds among unionized workforce at Bath Iron Works Updated: May-23-15 9:23 am
BATH, Maine - The last time Bath Iron Works looked beyond Navy shipbuilding, workers agreed to a contract aimed at boosting efficiency by allowing shipbuilders to learn and perform multiple tasks. President Clinton heaped praise on the shipyard for innovation, but those provisions were tossed aside a couple of years later.
- Coast Guard: Fire on gulf oil platform; 28 evacuated Updated: May-22-15 12:34 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Twenty-eight workers have been evacuated from an oil production platform that is on fire off Louisiana's coast.
- Coast Guard Cutter Vigorous undergoes command change Updated: May-22-15 3:13 am
PORTSMOUTH, Virginia - The Coast Guard Cutter Vigorous has a new commanding officer.
- Coast Guard says hoax distress calls a problem Updated: May-21-15 11:42 am
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - With a long holiday weekend approaching, U.S. Coast Guard officials in Jacksonville are warning people that making hoax distress calls is a felony.
- Coast Guard to hold change of command ceremony Updated: May-21-15 5:53 am
PHILADELPHIA - The Coast Guard will hold a change of command ceremony in Philadelphia.
- Latest on California oil spill: Governor declares emergency Updated: May-20-15 10:05 pm
6:45 p.m. (PDT)
- Gulf oil leak records cannot be kept secret, US judge says Updated: May-20-15 5:26 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal magistrate judge Wednesday rejected a company's bid to preserve the confidentiality of numerous emails and reports about its failed efforts to halt a decade-old Gulf of Mexico oil leak.
- Willamette Queen back in water, June opening planned Updated: May-20-15 11:30 am
SALEM, Oregon - A sternwheeler paddleboat doing Willamette River cruises from Salem is back in the water, but its owners say it won't be open for business until June.
- President in Connecticut to speak at Coast Guard graduation Updated: May-20-15 3:06 am
NEW LONDON, Connecticut - President Barack Obama plans to spend much of his day in Connecticut
- Coast Guard chopper from Ore. aids fisherman off Calif. Updated: May-20-15 1:46 am
NORTH BEND, Oregon - A Coast Guard helicopter crew from North Bend on the southern Oregon coast has flown an ailing crewman from a commercial fishing vessel 30 miles off northern California to waiting medics in Crescent City, California.
- Coast Guard: Girl, 10, drowns in pool aboard cruise ship Updated: May-18-15 9:49 pm
A 10-year-old girl drowned in a swimming pool aboard a Norwegian Cruise Line ship off the Carolinas and the ship immediately sailed to a nearby port in Florida, the U.S. Coast Guard said Monday.