- Coast guard crews rescue 6 along Oregon, Washington coast Updated: Feb-14-16 3:50 pm
SEATTLE - The U.S. Coast Guard says crews rescued six people in three different search-and-rescue calls Saturday along the Washington and Oregon coast.
- Coast Guard to use retro colors on 16 helicopters, planes Updated: Feb-14-16 2:03 pm
ELIZABETH CITY, North Carolina - Workers at a logistics center in Elizabeth City will paint 16 search-and-rescue helicopters and airplanes in color schemes from the past as part of the Coast Guard's celebration of 100 years of aviation.
- Coast Guard: Oil in Potomac came from area of Dominion plant Updated: Feb-12-16 6:27 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - The Coast Guard says all the oil that spilled into the Potomac River earlier this month came from near a Dominion Virginia Power substation where a spill was reported in January.
- Coast Guard to decide if storm-damaged cruise ship can sail Updated: Feb-12-16 3:11 pm
BAYONNE, New Jersey - The Coast Guard on Friday inspected a cruise ship that was battered and damaged by an intense winter storm to determine if it will be able to set sail as scheduled on a weekend voyage.
- Man, woman from Texas killed in plane crash off Florida Updated: Feb-12-16 1:42 pm
DESTIN, Florida - A man and woman from Texas were killed when a small plane they were in crashed into the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida Panhandle, officials said Friday.
- The Latest: Man, woman killed in plane crash off Florida Updated: Feb-12-16 1:39 pm
DESTIN, Florida - The Latest on a small plane that crashed off the Florida Panhandle (all times local):
- Alaska adopts new rules for dispersant use in oil spills Updated: Feb-11-16 4:40 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska oil spill responders have adopted new rules for the rapid use of chemical dispersant but say dispersant will continue to be considered only rarely when mechanical cleanup is not practical.
- 2 boaters rescued near mouth of Mississippi River Updated: Feb-11-16 7:51 am
NEW ORLEANS - The Coast Guard rescued two people from a 13-foot aluminum flat boat taking water near the mouth of the Mississippi River.
- Coast Guard helps fishermen after boat fire south of Hawaii Updated: Feb-10-16 8:35 pm
HONOLULU - A U.S. Coast Guard airplane was heading south of Hawaii on Wednesday to help 42 people who abandoned their fishing vessel after it caught fire.
- Coast Guard Academy investigating cheating allegations Updated: Feb-10-16 5:35 pm
NEW LONDON, Connecticut - The U.S. Coast Guard Academy is investigating allegations that a group of cadets cheated on online quizzes.
- Law enforcement hold drill on Washington state ferry Updated: Feb-10-16 11:13 am
SEATTLE - The Washington State Patrol plans to conduct drills on the Washington State Ferries vessel Hyak on Wednesday.
- 2 men rescued from overturned fishing boat on NC coast Updated: Feb-09-16 11:35 am
WILMINGTON, North Carolina - Two fishermen are recovering in the hospital after a Coast Guard crew rescued them from their overturned fishing boat near Carolina Beach.
- Coast Guard: Dye test aims to find Potomac oil sheen source Updated: Feb-08-16 7:45 am
ARLINGTON, Virginia - The U.S. Coast Guard says a dye test will be conducted in the Potomac River and Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary near Arlington, Virginia, to find the source of oil sheens spotted on the river.
- State monitoring oil spill in Mississippi River Updated: Feb-08-16 6:05 am
NATCHEZ, Mississippi - The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality is on the ground monitoring the site where a damaged barge may have leaked oil slurry last month.
- Coast Guard searches for 2 missing boaters in lake Updated: Feb-07-16 9:24 am
MIAMI - The Coast Guard is searching for two boaters reported missing on Lake Okeechobee.
- 3 people believed aboard 2 planes that collided off LA Updated: Feb-06-16 1:18 am
LOS ANGELES - Two small planes with three people believed to be aboard collided over the ocean just outside the port of Los Angeles, prompting a massive search by dozens of boats and divers. There was no sign of survivors after hours of searching.
- The Latest: 3 people likely aboard 2 planes that collided Updated: Feb-06-16 1:00 am
LOS ANGELES - The Latest on a midair collision between two small planes (all times local):
- Coast Guard rescue stations in SC, Oregon open till 2018 Updated: Feb-04-16 11:00 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - U.S. Coast Guard helicopter search-and-rescue stations on the Oregon and South Carolina coasts will remain open at least until 2018.
- Crews to begin lifting sunken tugboat from Gastineau Channel Updated: Feb-04-16 7:23 am
JUNEAU, Alaska - Coast Guard officials say work to remove a 96-foot tugboat from the Gastineau Channel has started nearly five months after the former World War II Army vehicle plunged beneath the waters.
- Coast Guard investigates tanker crash on Mississippi River Updated: Feb-03-16 7:06 am
NEW ORLEANS - The Coast Guard is investigating an accident on the Mississippi River involving an empty oil tanker.
- Police ID missing teen who fell into ocean at Cape Kiwanda Updated: Feb-02-16 5:15 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon State Police identified a girl who has been missing since falling into the Pacific Ocean as 17-year-old Megan Owens.
- Authorities bust panga boat with 3,000 pounds of pot Updated: Feb-02-16 9:11 am
SANTA BARBARA, California - Authorities have arrested 13 people after a panga boat near Santa Barbara was found to be carrying about 3,000 pounds of marijuana.
- Coast Guard flies sick cruise passenger to hospital Updated: Feb-02-16 7:51 am
ELIZABETH CITY, North Carolina - The Coast Guard has taken a sick woman off a cruise ship about 230 miles east of Cape Hatteras.
- Carmichael, GOP nominee twice for Mississippi governor, dies Updated: Feb-01-16 5:26 pm
MERIDIAN, Mississippi - Gil Carmichael, a two-time Republican nominee for Mississippi governor in the 1970s and head of the Federal Railway Commission under President George H.W. Bush, has died. He was 88.
- Astoria officials push to have historic ferry returned Updated: Feb-01-16 1:15 pm
ASTORIA, Oregon - Organizers of the 50th anniversary celebration of the Astoria-Megler Bridge are pushing to have a historic ferry that took passengers across the Columbia River returned in time for the festivities.