- Boston FBI chief to retire after 2 years in the job Updated: Jul-30-15 5:04 pm
BOSTON - The special agent in charge of the Boston division of the FBI is retiring after two years in the job.
- FBI: Islamic State sympathizer charged in backpack bomb plot Updated: Jul-28-15 5:21 pm
MIAMI - A man described by the FBI as an Islamic State sympathizer who hoped to mount attacks on U.S. soil was charged Tuesday with plotting to detonate a nail-filled backpack bomb on a Florida beach.
- Law agencies seek better communication after trooper killing Updated: Jul-26-15 4:55 pm
MARINETTE, Wisconsin - Officials from local, state and federal law enforcement agencies are trying to improve their communication after a rookie Wisconsin state trooper was killed in a shootout with a heavily armed bank robbery suspect from Michigan earlier this year.
- New Yorker rises from school teacher to FBI boss Updated: Jul-26-15 11:37 am
NEW YORK - The first Hispanic to run the FBI's largest field office almost never got there.
- FBI arrests activists accused of releasing 5,740 mink Updated: Jul-24-15 11:58 pm
OAKLAND, California - Two animal-rights activists have been charged with terrorizing the fur industry during cross-country road trips in which they released about 5,740 mink from farms and vandalized the homes and businesses of industry members, the FBI said Friday.
- Butler says Pickering misspending his own campaign money Updated: Jul-24-15 7:20 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Second-term Mississippi Auditor Stacey Pickering is defending his campaign spending on travel, vehicles and a garage door.
- Probation officer accused of sex with women he monitored Updated: Jul-24-15 2:55 pm
KEARNEY, Nebraska - The U.S. Attorney's Office said Friday that a former Nebraska probation officer has been indicted on five federal counts, accused of having sex with women on probation and threatening at least one, then lying about it to the FBI.
- FBI chief: Islamic State group bigger threat than al-Qaida Updated: Jul-22-15 10:22 pm
ASPEN, Colorado - The Islamic State group's effort to inspire troubled Americans to violence has become more of a terror threat to the U.S. than an external attack by al-Qaida, the FBI director said Wednesday.
- AP News Guide to case of woman found hanged in Texas jail Updated: Jul-21-15 9:22 pm
HEMPSTEAD, Texas - Dashboard video from a trooper's patrol car shows the traffic stop that led to the arrest of Sandra Bland, a Chicago-area woman found dead in a Texas jail last week.
- Joint federal-local effort to combat violence in St. Louis Updated: Jul-20-15 3:58 pm
ST. LOUIS - Rising violence in St. Louis has led federal and local law enforcement and prosecutors to collaborate on a project aimed at reducing the problem.
- Newton County sheriff's deputy, 91, showing no signs of rust Updated: Jul-19-15 9:08 am
COVINGTON, Georgia - There are two oaths Jack Simpson has lived by for most of his entire life: "I will do my best to do my duty to God and County," and "If you sit around when you get older you will rust."
- Military site shootings crystallize FBI terrorism concerns Updated: Jul-18-15 6:53 pm
WASHINGTON - The deadly shootings at military sites in Tennessee illustrate the threat that FBI officials have warned about: violence directed against a vulnerable government target by a lone gunman with apparent terrorist aspirations.
- FBI, Labor Department investigating Vann's bankruptcy Updated: Jul-17-15 4:58 pm
HELENA, Montana - The FBI and the U.S. Department of Labor are investigating the bankruptcy of a Montana appliance and electronics store that rendered its Employee Stock Ownership Plan worthless.
- Joplin councilman says he is the subject of federal probe Updated: Jul-17-15 2:20 pm
JOPLIN, Missouri - A Joplin City Council member who was serving as mayor when the city was struck with a deadly tornado in 2011 says federal investigators are looking into whether any of his real estate transactions after the storm were improper or resulted in misappropriation of city funds.
- Federal agencies take over in travel voucher case Updated: Jul-15-15 3:32 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Douglas County officials say the FBI and IRS have taken over an investigation into an event-planning business and its owner, who's accused of selling thousands of worthless travel vouchers.
- Man charged in California kidnapping had bright resume Updated: Jul-14-15 9:15 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Matthew Muller had a resume built for success - a U.S. Marine veteran, Harvard Law School graduate and member of the California bar.
- Prosecutors say Idaho man hoped to carry out terror attack Updated: Jul-14-15 6:58 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Federal prosecutors told jurors Tuesday that an Uzbek refugee living in Boise, Idaho, was walking a "pathway to terror" when he was arrested two years ago.
- Prosecutors' in-house investigators behind NY criminal cases Updated: Jul-13-15 2:49 pm
NEW YORK - Years ago as a young prosecutor, Preet Bharara was driving in New York City's Little Italy with a dogged investigator named Ken McCabe, who suddenly recognized some mobsters, rolled down his window and surprised them by addressing them by their Mafia nicknames.
- FBI reviewing dehydration death in Island Co. jail Updated: Jul-10-15 10:40 am
COUPEVILLE, Washington - The FBI is reviewing the investigation into the April dehydration death of an inmate at the Island County Jail.
- FBI head: Potential violence plots stopped ahead of July 4 Updated: Jul-09-15 5:43 pm
WASHINGTON - FBI Director James Comey said Thursday that the agency believes it stopped potential acts of violence in the month before the July 4 holiday.
- FBI, Justice Dept. take encryption concerns to Congress Updated: Jul-08-15 10:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal law enforcement officials warned Wednesday that data encryption is making it harder to hunt for pedophiles and terror suspects, telling senators that consumers' right to privacy is not absolute and must be weighed against public-safety interests.
- FBI probing Florida police shooting of man with air rifle Updated: Jul-08-15 3:52 pm
MIAMI - The FBI has opened an investigation into the fatal 2013 shooting by a sheriff's deputy of a man carrying an air rifle who may not have heard commands to drop it because he was listening to music through earbuds.
- FBI investigating kidnapping of bank executive, family Updated: Jul-07-15 7:44 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - The FBI says a bank executive and his family have been released after being kidnapped at gunpoint and the man forced to withdraw an undisclosed amount of money from a Knoxville bank.
- The Latest: Subway suspending relationship with Jared Fogle Updated: Jul-07-15 5:16 pm
ZIONSVILLE, Indiana - Here are the latest developments in Tuesday's raid at the home of Subway restaurant chain spokesman Jared Fogle (all times are local):
- FBI: Woman in surveillance photo not missing Cleveland teen Updated: Jul-06-15 12:47 pm
CLEVELAND - The FBI says a woman photographed by a surveillance camera last October in Rhode Island is not the person who went missing seven years ago from her Cleveland home as a 14-year-old.