- New Oklahoma prisons chief: Facilities crumbling, morale low Updated: Feb-10-16 6:52 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A longtime Republican political operative who previously headed the Federal Emergency Management Agency now has the daunting task of leading Oklahoma's overcrowded and underfunded prison system, which has come under increasing scrutiny after a series of problematic executions.
- McCrory, Sprayberry talking to federal emergency council Updated: Feb-10-16 3:44 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Gov. Pat McCrory and his top first responder to hurricanes and snowstorms are meeting with emergency management leaders nationwide to talk about how North Carolina emergency officials prepare for the worst.
- Federal auditors question Tuscaloosa twister funding Updated: Feb-08-16 1:21 pm
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - Federal auditors say Tuscaloosa improperly received more than $1 million in aid following the monster tornado that struck in 2011.
- Correction: Disaster Funds-Audit story Updated: Feb-03-16 4:04 pm
SAN DIEGO - In a story Feb. 1 about an audit of disaster relief funds, The Associated Press misidentified the federal agency that audited the city of San Diego. The agency was the Office of Inspector General, not the General Accounting Office.
- FEMA approves more than $6 million for flood assistance Updated: Feb-02-16 3:14 pm
ST. LOUIS - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved more than $6 million in grants to help nearly 1,000 Missourians whose homes were damaged by the winter flood.
- FEMA reimburses California $107 million for debris removal Updated: Jan-27-16 8:23 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California is on track to receive $107 million from the federal government to defray debris removal costs stemming from a pair of destructive wildfires last year that burned more than 200 square miles.
- SC flood victims getting an additional $10M in aid Updated: Jan-26-16 11:22 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolinians who were originally refused help following last October's historic floods will be getting about $10 million in aid.
- Additional counties eligible for public aid after tornadoes Updated: Jan-15-16 7:51 pm
OXFORD, Mississippi - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has declared three more Mississippi counties eligible for public assistance after December's deadly tornadoes.
- FEMA denies appeal for NM emergency team status Updated: Jan-14-16 9:49 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Federal officials have denied New Mexico's appeal to keep federal status and funding for its elite search and rescue team.