- Former journalist, Obama adviser nominated to run aid agency Updated: Apr-30-15 1:37 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama tapped White House adviser Gayle Smith on Thursday to run the U.S. Agency for International Development, putting a former journalist and longtime Africa expert in charge of his global development agenda for the final years of his presidency.
- Obama pushes reading through e-book, library initiatives Updated: Apr-30-15 12:21 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama announced Thursday that major book publishers will provide more than $250 million in free e-books to low-income students and that he is seeking commitments from local governments and schools nationwide to provide library cards to all students.
- ND Legislature misses goal of adjourning session early Updated: Apr-25-15 1:53 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The North Dakota Legislature has missed its goal of finishing its work five days before the constitutional 80-day limit.
- Tufts students end 55-hour occupation of president's office Updated: Apr-24-15 7:40 pm
MEDFORD, Massachusetts - A group of Tufts University students has ended an occupation of the school president's office after 55 hours of protesting Tufts' investments in fossil fuel companies.
- Lawmaker tells administration: Pull back Indian tribe rules Updated: Apr-23-15 2:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee is demanding that the Obama administration hold off on new rules that could make it easier for Indian groups to win federal recognition as tribes.
- Illinois Dems question budget head over grant suspensions Updated: Apr-14-15 7:35 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner's top budget aide says more funding could be suspended this year on top of tens of millions in social services and public health grants that were put on hold earlier this month.
- House panel approves Pence's balanced budget amendment Updated: Apr-07-15 3:16 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Republican Gov. Mike Pence's request for a proposed balanced budget constitutional amendment cleared a legislative committee on Tuesday following a couple hours in a Statehouse rut.