- Former Kansas social services chief Harder dies Updated: Apr-15-14 6:05 pm
- Praeger, Kansas groups urge health compact veto Updated: Apr-15-14 1:47 pm
- Kansas court furloughs possible under new budget Updated: Apr-14-14 11:53 am
- Mo. Senate wants Kansas City to host Super Bowl Updated: Apr-11-14 5:05 am
- Kansas GOP leader defends plan on teacher tenure Updated: Apr-09-14 9:17 pm
- Mo. House roll call on right to work legislation Updated: Apr-09-14 4:25 pm
- Mo. House roll call on transportation sales tax Updated: Apr-09-14 12:53 pm
- Neb. water sustainability bill sent to final vote Updated: Apr-08-14 8:55 pm
- Kansas lawmakers OK tougher Medicaid fraud law Updated: Apr-08-14 5:04 am
- Costs spurred Kansas school policy changes Updated: Apr-07-14 5:28 pm
- Attorneys concerned about Kansas school package Updated: Apr-07-14 3:16 pm
- Kansas lawmakers back school funding, tenure plan Updated: Apr-06-14 11:26 pm
- Kansas gay-rights group opposes tenure proposal Updated: Apr-06-14 3:59 pm
- Correction: Gun Rights-Kansas story Updated: Apr-06-14 10:23 am
- Lawmakers approve small changes in abortion laws Updated: Apr-05-14 9:28 pm
- Kansas lawmakers approve bill barring city, county gun restrictions; NRA sees plan as 'model' Updated: Apr-05-14 5:47 pm
- Kansas lawmakers approve plan for health compact Updated: Apr-04-14 11:30 pm
- Bill would extend ban on Kansas Medicaid expansion Updated: Apr-04-14 10:40 pm
- Brownback praises Kansas House school funding plan Updated: Apr-04-14 3:28 pm
- Kansas House blocks Wichita gambling measure Updated: Apr-04-14 2:26 pm
- House delays Kansas school funding debate Updated: Apr-04-14 1:22 pm
- Kan. House panel finishes work on school aid plan Updated: Apr-04-14 12:47 am
- Kansas Senate votes to block academic standards Updated: Apr-03-14 10:43 pm
- Kansas Senate rejects Democrats' school aid plan Updated: Apr-03-14 8:35 pm
- Kansas Senate approves insurance for autism Updated: Apr-03-14 11:19 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Robert C. Harder, a former Kansas legislator who helped create the agency that became the state Department for Children and Families, has died from a brain tumor, his family said. He was 84.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican Insurance Commissioner Sandy Praeger and several health care organizations urged Gov. Sam Brownback on Tuesday to veto legislation that would allow Kansas to join a multistate health care compact.
TOPEKA, Kansas - State court officials are unsure whether a Kansas budget approved this year by the Legislature will allow them to avoid furloughs for employees, while still providing additional funding for operations and a new document system.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A task force would be charged with trying to bring the Super Bowl to Kansas City under a resolution passed by the Missouri Senate.
TOPEKA, Kansas - A top Kansas Republican sought Wednesday to quell criticism of a proposal to eliminate tenure for public school teachers approved by the Legislature as part of a court-mandated school funding plan, suggesting the anti-tenure measure is not as harsh as portrayed.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The 78-68 roll call Wednesday by which the Missouri House gave first-round approval to legislation that would prohibit labor contracts from requiring that all employees pay union fees as a condition of employment, regardless of whether workers are union members.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The 96-53 roll call Wednesday by which the Missouri House voted to send the Senate legislation that would, upon voter approval, impose a 1-cent sales tax increase for transportation funding.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A bill designed to prepare Nebraska for floods, water shortages and water quality problems was sent Tuesday to a final vote in the Legislature.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt is praising legislators for unanimously approving a measure to increase penalties for defrauding the state's Medicaid program.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Public school teachers in Kansas likely will lose their legal protections against getting fired after legislators tacked that and other policy changes onto a court-mandated plan to boost aid for poor school districts.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Lawyers for parents and school districts at the heart of the Kansas school funding battle have concerns about the plan approved by lawmakers to address a state Supreme Court ruling.
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Legislature on Sunday narrowly backed a plan that would boost funding to poor school districts while eliminating tenure for teachers.
TOPEKA, Kansas - The leading gay-rights group in Kansas also is lobbying against a proposal in a school funding bill to end tenure for teachers.
TOPEKA, Kansas - In an April 5 story about gun-rights legislation in Kansas, The Associated Press reported erroneously the last name of the director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence's efforts to defend gun control policies in court and oppose the lessening of existing regulations. The correct name is Jonathan Lowy, not Jonathan Lowry.
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Legislature has approved abortion legislation that addresses legal issues raised in state and federal lawsuits filed by abortion providers, avoiding a larger debate this year over proposals to ban the procedure early in pregnancy.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas lawmakers approve bill barring city, county gun restrictions; NRA sees plan as 'model'
TOPEKA, Kansas - A bill that would bring Kansas into a compact with other states hoping to become exempt from the federal health care overhaul won final legislative approval Friday night.
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Republican-dominated Kansas Legislature has passed a bill to keep a ban in place indefinitely on expanding the state's Medicaid program under the federal health care overhaul.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Gov. Sam Brownback says a school funding bill before the Kansas House is a good plan for meeting a state Supreme Court mandate to boost aid to poor school districts.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas House members have rejected a proposal that would prohibit slot machines at a closed dog-racing track outside Wichita, even though residents voted in 2007 against having them at the south-central facility.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas House leaders have delayed the start of debate over a $141 million school funding plan, the last major piece of legislation on the agenda before starting a three-week recess.
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas House committee has revised its school funding plan to be more generous in providing aid to local school districts.
TOPEKA, Kansas - A proposal designed to block Kansas public schools from using multistate reading and math standards has been approved by the state Senate.
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Republican-dominated Kansas Senate has rejected a Democratic proposal for increasing aid to the state's poor public school districts.
TOPEKA, Kansas - A bill that would require insurance coverage for some children under the age of 12 with autism represents progress but still contains flaws, advocates for the children said after the measure was approved by the Kansas Senate and sent to Gov. Sam Brownback.