- Shots fired from Syria kill Turkish soldier Updated: Sep-01-15 3:14 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The military says a Turkish soldier was killed from shots fired from Islamic State-controlled area across the border in Syria. A second soldier is reported missing.
- Israeli army: 4 rockets from Syria hit Israel; no injuries Updated: Aug-20-15 5:50 pm
JERUSALEM - Militants in Syria fired several rockets into northern Israel on Thursday afternoon, prompting Israeli retaliatory fire, the military said - the first time since the 1973 Mideast war that rockets from Syrian territory have slammed into Israel.
- Syria's attack on Douma a war crime, UN political chief says Updated: Aug-19-15 2:59 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. political chief is saying the Syrian government committed a war crime with its airstrikes on the Damascus suburb of Douma that killed some 100 people.
- Syrian opposition leader: 'Russia isn't clinging to Assad' Updated: Aug-14-15 8:52 am
MOSCOW - Russia isn't committed to keeping Syrian President Bashar Assad in power, the leader of the main Syrian opposition group said Friday after talks in Moscow.
- Deadly attacks surge as Iran's foreign minister visits Syria Updated: Aug-12-15 3:23 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Iran's foreign minister, who negotiated his country's nuclear deal with world powers, discussed ways of ending Syria's civil war with President Bashar Assad in Damascus on Wednesday, as attacks surged around the Syrian capital, killing at least 36 people and wounding dozens.
- Saudi FM in Moscow for Syria-focused talks Updated: Aug-11-15 9:34 am
MOSCOW - Pressing to mediate the Syrian conflict, Russia on Tuesday hosted the Saudi foreign minister for talks that revealed sharp differences about the fate of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- US military rethinking how to put Syrian soldiers into fight Updated: Aug-08-15 3:00 am
WASHINGTON - The murky aftermath of the attack on Syrian rebels last week by al-Qaida-linked militants has raised questions about how the small, ragtag group of U.S.-trained forces was sent into battle and whether the military needs to make adjustments to the program.
- Iran nuclear deal opens diplomatic channels for Syria Updated: Aug-07-15 4:58 pm
BEIRUT - The nuclear deal with Iran was widely expected to affect other Middle East issues, and that may already be happening with Syria: A series of recent diplomatic maneuvers suggest a growing willingness to at least engage with the Iranian-backed government of Bashar Assad on ways to end the country's civil war.
- AP Interview: Qatar's FM urges 'serious dialogue' with Iran Updated: Aug-04-15 12:41 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's top diplomat on Tuesday called for a "serious dialogue" with Iran in the wake of its nuclear deal with world powers, even as he blasted Tehran for continuing to support Syria's embattled government.
- US begins armed drone flights from Turkey Updated: Aug-03-15 3:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. military is expanding its combat role in Syria in defense of coalition-backed rebels, conducting armed drone missions into Syria from an air base in Turkey and imposing new rules allowing the U.S. to defend rebels against attacks from any hostile force, including the Assad government.
- Treasury sanctions Syrian government's energy networks Updated: Aug-03-15 3:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department on Monday targeted 11 companies and individuals suspected of providing energy products the Syrian government of Bashar Assad is using in the conflict there.