- Host Brazil avoids tough group in World Cup draw Updated: Dec-06-13 4:55 pm
- World Cup draw: the strong, the weak, the lucky Updated: Dec-06-13 4:53 pm
- Mexico qualifies for 6th straight World Cup Updated: Nov-20-13 11:42 am
- France, Portugal reach World Cup Updated: Nov-20-13 11:37 am
- Mexico qualifies for WCup with 4-2 win over NZ Updated: Nov-20-13 3:53 am
- Mexico loss a setback for New Zealand football Updated: Nov-14-13 10:16 pm
- Mexico beats New Zealand 5-1 in first leg Updated: Nov-13-13 8:39 pm
- Mexico beats New Zealand 5-1 in first-leg playoff Updated: Nov-13-13 7:24 pm
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - Brazil escaped tough opponents in the group stage of next year's World Cup but will probably face a major rival as early as the second round.
Who wound up in difficult groups and who got away easy from Friday's World Cup draw (average world ranking for four teams in parentheses):
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Mexico needed to travel an extra 14,000 miles to reach next year's World Cup.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored a dazzling hat trick to lift Portugal into next year's World Cup at the expense of Zlatan Ibrahimovic's Sweden, and France came back in remarkable fashion to overtake Ukraine for a berth in the 32-nation field for next year's tournament in Brazil.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Mexico qualified for the World Cup after beating New Zealand 4-2 in the second leg of an inter-continental playoff Wednesday, bringing an end to one of its most troubled and divisive qualifying campaigns.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand football's greatest celebration is in danger of becoming a very distant memory after the national team's 5-1 loss to Mexico in the first leg of a World Cup qualifying playoff in Mexico City.
MEXICO CITY - Oribe Peralta scored twice and Mexico beat New Zealand 5-1 on Wednesday in the first leg of their intercontinental playoff to close in on a spot in the World Cup next year.
MEXICO CITY - Mexico swept to a 5-1 victory over New Zealand in the first leg of their intercontinental playoff on Wednesday to become the overwhelming favorite for a place at next year's World Cup finals.