- China's army plays down South China Sea island-building Updated: May-26-15 2:49 pm
BEIJING - China's military on Tuesday compared its controversial island-building in the South China Sea to ordinary construction such as road-building going on elsewhere in the country, trying to deflect criticism over an issue seen as inflaming tensions in the region.
- Aquino: Philippines to fly usual routes over disputed reefs Updated: May-25-15 6:25 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine aircraft will continue to fly their usual routes over disputed reefs in the South China Sea, the country's president said Monday, defying China's challenges to its planes and those of the United States.
- China contributing experts, troops to disaster relief drills Updated: May-23-15 1:07 am
BEIJING - China is contributing 600 personnel, including 49 from the military, to multinational disaster relief exercises in Malaysia, the first time it has taken part in such an effort, the Defense Ministry said Saturday.
- China, US assert rights after exchange over S China Sea Updated: May-21-15 7:58 pm
BEIJING - China said Thursday it is entitled to keep watch over airspace and seas surrounding artificial islands it created in the disputed waters of the South China Sea, following an exchange in which its navy warned off a U.S. surveillance plane. The United States said its aerial patrolling was in accordance with international law and "no one in their right mind" would try to stop it.
- US official: China island building now totals 2,000 acres Updated: May-08-15 5:01 pm
WASHINGTON - China's rapidly expanding campaign to construct artificial islands, potentially for military use or airstrips, now totals about 2,000 acres and could far outstrip that amount as the year goes on, a senior defense official said Friday.
- China-Russia navies to hold first Mediterranean joint drills Updated: Apr-30-15 9:05 am
BEIJING - The navies of China and Russia plan to hold joint drills in the Mediterranean Sea for the first time in mid-May, China's Defense Ministry announced Thursday, in the latest expansion of the growing informal partnership between the two militaries.