- Senators praise latest pick to lead DHEC as the right choice Updated: May-21-15 2:05 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Senators say the board of South Carolina's public health and environmental agency got it right this time in selecting a director.
- SC legislators expect to pass domestic violence compromise Updated: May-20-15 8:08 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Legislature appears poised to pass a bill aimed at stemming South Carolina's persistently high rates of domestic violence, after weeks of behind-the-scenes negotiations between a handful of House and Senate members.
- Deal near on bill requiring public bodies to have agendas Updated: May-20-15 4:52 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - House and Senate members are nearing a deal on a bill that would require government bodies in South Carolina to publish agendas before public meetings.
- Abortion opponent blocking anti-abortion bill in Senate Updated: May-14-15 7:37 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - One of the South Carolina Legislature's most ardent abortion foes is, ironically, blocking passage of a bill he and other abortion opponents have sought for years and is ripping into his fellow anti-abortion activists.
- South Carolina House passes body camera legislation Updated: May-13-15 3:01 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A South Carolina bill promoting the use of body cameras has been named for the black man who was fatally shot last month by a white North Charleston police officer.
- South Carolina looks for money to protect toxic waste dump Updated: May-13-15 2:22 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Senate subcommittee is trying to figure out how much South Carolina needs to pay to make sure a Sumter County toxic waste landfill closed 15 years ago doesn't pollute nearby Lake Marion or other areas.
- Senate panel hears more testimony over public records bill Updated: May-13-15 10:41 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Senate subcommittee has taken more testimony on a bill that would overhaul South Carolina's open records law.
- South Carolina may get small ethics reform package this year Updated: May-12-15 6:46 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Ethics reform might not be dead at the South Carolina Statehouse this year: A Senate committee on Tuesday passed a lighter version of the measure pertaining to what income lawmakers and their families must disclose and when candidates must report campaign spending.
- South Carolina Senate gives roads bill priority debate spot Updated: May-12-15 5:16 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate has agreed to put the debate on whether to raise taxes for more money for road in a prime debate spot.
- Graham takes trip down memory lane at SC Statehouse Updated: May-12-15 12:37 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Likely presidential candidate Lindsey Graham has returned to his roots.
- Gay leaders happy even with anti-discrimination bill failing Updated: May-05-15 2:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Advocates of gay rights say no matter what happens to an anti-discrimination bill that Democrats managed to get to the House floor, this has been a surprisingly quiet legislative session for gay issues.
- Senate panel: SLED should investigate all officer shootings Updated: Apr-30-15 1:31 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The State Law Enforcement Division would have to investigate all cases where a police officer kills or seriously injures a suspect in South Carolina, under legislation approved Thursday by a Senate panel.
- Prosecutors: Don't toss DUI cases for imperfect video Updated: Apr-29-15 6:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina prosecutors want state law to de-emphasize video in drunken driving cases, saying too many are being dismissed because of imperfect recordings.
- House OKs bill making it easier to build, expand hospitals Updated: Apr-29-15 6:43 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina House gave key approval Wednesday to a bill that would make it easier to build and expand hospitals and other medical facilities, and would end a state oversight program called the certificate of need entirely at the start of 2018.
- Advocate wants to create child advocacy board in SC Updated: Apr-29-15 1:20 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Members of a Senate committee overseeing South Carolina's child welfare agency have heard an advocate's request to create a child advisory board.
- SC Legislature honors Friendship 9 for civil rights protests Updated: Apr-28-15 1:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Legislature on Tuesday honored nine men who went to jail to protest segregated lunch counters in Rock Hill at the beginning of the civil rights movement.
- SC legislators face looming deadline for bills' passage Updated: Apr-26-15 11:01 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's House and Senate will be busy this week trying to meet a legislative deadline. Bills that haven't advanced from one chamber to the other by Friday have little chance of becoming law this year.
- Leatherman: Commerce requested about $125M for incentives Updated: Apr-23-15 7:09 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The leader of the South Carolina Senate said Thursday he was asked by the state's commerce secretary to make roughly $125 million available for a potential business incentive package and did so - until Gov. Nikki Haley made clear she didn't want it.
- SC House OKs bill ending permits to carry concealed weapons Updated: Apr-23-15 5:05 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina House passed a bill on Thursday that would eliminate the need to get a concealed weapons permit to carry guns in public in the state.
- Haley declares May as Teacher Appreciation Month Updated: Apr-23-15 12:55 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley is encouraging residents to thank teachers for their contributions to children and South Carolina's future.