- Controversy over how to teach kids about 'comfort women' Updated: Feb-07-16 7:17 pm
LOS ANGELES - Guidelines for California educators on how to teach history students about the use of female sex slaves by Japanese soldiers during World War II have prompted debate in Japanese and Korean communities here and abroad.
- Angelina Jolie's film 'Unbroken' finally opens in Japan Updated: Feb-06-16 5:40 am
TOKYO - Angelina Jolie's "Unbroken" opened Saturday more than a year after the rest of the world in Japan, where the main character endures as a prisoner of war and where some have called for a boycott of the movie.
- Japan unveils stealth plane, may combine with next-gen jet Updated: Jan-28-16 7:52 am
TOYOYAMA, Japan - Japan unveiled its first homemade stealth plane Thursday as it tries to catch up on the technology and enhance its reconnaissance and intelligence capabilities as China expands its own military presence in the region.
- Filipinos talk about 1st visit by Japanese emperor since war Updated: Jan-28-16 5:02 am
Emperor Akihito is making the first visit by a Japanese emperor since World War II to the Philippines, which suffered under Japan's harsh military occupation during the war but now relies on Tokyo as an ally, trading partner and source of aid and investment.
- 2 SKorean ex-sex slaves demand direct apology from Japan PM Updated: Jan-26-16 6:09 am
TOKYO - Two elderly South Korean women abused by Japan's wartime military-run brothel system are in Japan to reject a recent settlement agreement between the two governments and demand that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe give them a face-to-face apology and formal compensation.