- Despite protests, Expo 2015 a potential diplomatic setting Updated: May-01-15 2:20 pm
MILAN - The Expo 2015 world's fair showed potential as a backdrop for serious diplomacy as it opened Friday for a six-month run, even as it also served as a lightning rod for anti-globalization protests.
- Italy seeks info from US in drone strike hostage death Updated: Apr-24-15 3:19 pm
ROME - Italy said Friday it wanted more information from the United States about how an Italian aid worker was killed in a U.S. drone strike on the Afghan-Pakistan border as officials sought to explain why it took three months to be told about the "tragic error."
- EU leaders commit ships, aid to address migrant crisis Updated: Apr-23-15 7:08 pm
BRUSSELS - Late to the rescue, European leaders came through Thursday with pledges of big ships, aircraft and a tripling in funds to save lives in the Mediterranean after the deaths at sea of more than 1,300 migrants over the past three weeks, and agreed to lay the groundwork for military action against traffickers.
- American, Italian hostages killed in US drone strike Updated: Apr-23-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - Blaming the "fog of war," President Barack Obama revealed Thursday that U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan inadvertently killed an American and an Italian, two hostages held by al-Qaida, as well as two other Americans who had leadership roles with the terror network.
- Italy shocked by aid worker's death in US drone strike Updated: Apr-23-15 1:01 pm
ROME - The Italian government on Thursday deplored the death of an Italian aid worker in a U.S. airstrike, calling it a "fatal error" by the Americans.
- Dutch lawmaker tells migrants not to come to Netherlands Updated: Apr-22-15 8:10 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Dutch anti-Islam opposition lawmaker Geert Wilders has copied part of Australia's approach to stopping boat migrants by making a video telling would-be asylum seekers considering making the treacherous boat crossing from North Africa to Europe: "You will not make the Netherlands home."
- The Latest: UN rights chief wants new EU line on migration Updated: Apr-20-15 11:14 am
5:10 p.m. (1510 GMT; 11:10 a.m. EDT)
- The Latest: Migrant survivor says 950 aboard capsized boat Updated: Apr-19-15 4:27 pm
10:20 p.m. (2020 GMT, 4:20 p.m.)
- Obama, Renzi pledge to focus on threats from Libya Updated: Apr-17-15 5:17 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama pledged Friday to work more intensely with Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi on threats coming from instability in Libya that have led to an influx of migrants across the Mediterranean.
- Obama defends pursuit of sweeping trade pact Updated: Apr-17-15 5:11 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Friday defended his pursuit of a sweeping trade pact as good for American workers in a global economy, dismissing fierce opposition from his own party as a "ratification of the status quo."
- Obama calls delay of his attorney general nominee 'crazy' Updated: Apr-17-15 4:47 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Friday said it was "crazy" and "embarrassing" the way the Republican-led Senate has held up confirmation of his attorney general nominee, Loretta Lynch.
- Obama open to 'creative negotiations' on Iran sanctions Updated: Apr-17-15 2:20 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Friday left open the door to "creative negotiations" in response to Iran's demand that punishing sanctions be immediately lifted as part of a nuclear deal, even though the initial agreement calls for the penalties to be removed over time.
- Bidding race for 2024 Olympics starting to get crowded Updated: Apr-13-15 1:18 pm
LONDON - Even though the race hasn't officially started, the field for the 2024 Olympics is getting more crowded by the day.