- Investigator wants tougher legislative ethics laws Updated: Apr-18-14 4:49 pm
- Clock ticking for states to adopt health exchanges Updated: Apr-18-14 3:13 pm
- GOP lawmaker objects to 9-0 vote for Obama library Updated: Apr-18-14 2:23 pm
- Illinois gives early OK to $100M for Obama museum Updated: Apr-17-14 5:19 pm
- Metra files reveal years of political patronage Updated: Apr-16-14 12:29 pm
- Closer Look: Tough tax votes loom in Illinois Updated: Apr-13-14 12:32 pm
- Voters to decide on 2 constitutional amendments Updated: Apr-11-14 3:05 pm
- Amendment protecting Ill. voters to go on ballot Updated: Apr-10-14 4:31 pm
- Illinois House speaker cleared in transit probe Updated: Apr-10-14 3:11 pm
- Illinois House leader halts millionaire tax plan Updated: Apr-09-14 6:17 pm
- Illinois Legislature OKs Chicago pension overhaul Updated: Apr-08-14 7:37 pm
- Quinn won't say if he'll sign Chicago pension bill Updated: Apr-08-14 3:25 pm
- Manar introduces bill changing school funding Updated: Apr-02-14 8:07 pm
- Senate GOP leader opposes Chicago pension deal Updated: Apr-02-14 5:12 pm
- Report: Madigan influenced Chicago transit hiring Updated: Apr-01-14 3:26 pm
- Extension of income tax hike may be key 2014 theme Updated: Mar-27-14 7:06 pm
- Quinn: Legislature should examine millionaires tax Updated: Mar-27-14 2:52 pm
- Madigan to call vote on tax increase this spring Updated: Mar-26-14 8:31 pm
- Ill. senator unveils proposed income tax rates Updated: Mar-25-14 9:44 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Job recommendations and university application referrals from Illinois lawmakers should be tracked and publicized after clout-related scandals at the University of Illinois and the Metra transit agency, the General Assembly's top ethics officer said Friday.
CHICAGO - For the more than 30 states that defaulted to the federal government under President Barack Obama's health care law, time may be running out to decide whether to create their own state-run insurance exchanges.
CHICAGO - At least one Republican lawmaker says he's filing a protest after an Illinois House committee recorded a 9-0 vote to commit $100 million to bring President Barack Obama's library to Chicago, even though only five Democrats - and none of the committee's four GOP members - were there.
CHICAGO - Even though Chicago is where Barack Obama got his start in politics, first lady Michelle Obama grew up and the Obamas still call their hometown, state and local officials aren't taking for granted that the Windy City will land the president's official library.
CHICAGO - Files documenting a lengthy history of political patronage hiring at the Chicago area's Metra commuter rail agency reveal that some of Illinois' most well-known politicians routinely recommended job candidates.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Faced with an expected $3 billion budget hole from an expiring income tax increase, Illinois lawmakers are grappling with whether to raise taxes to avoid major cuts to schools and social services next year.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Voters in Illinois will be asked whether to amend the state constitution in at least two different ways.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois voters will consider a constitutional amendment this fall aimed at scuttling attempts at voter suppression after Senate action Thursday.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An investigation into whether Illinois' powerful House speaker improperly influenced hiring at Chicago's scandal-tarnished Metra commuter rail agency found no legal violations, according to the Democratic lawmaker's office.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An effort to increase taxes for Illinois millionaires is on hold after the state's powerful House speaker couldn't get enough votes to push his plan through the Democratic-controlled Legislature, and he's blaming Republicans who "prefer and protect millionaires over school children," his spokesman said Wednesday.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - State lawmakers on Tuesday approved Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's proposal for overhauling two city pension programs that officials say could otherwise be out of money in little more than a decade.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A group of Democratic lawmakers Wednesday introduced a long-awaited piece of legislation that would dramatically change the way schools are funded in Illinois for the first time since 1997.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois' Senate Republican leader says she's advised her caucus to oppose a plan from Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to bail out two city pension systems.
CHICAGO - A task force asked to scrutinize metropolitan Chicago's transit agencies said it found evidence that House Speaker Michael Madigan directed Metra to hire and promote certain candidates, contributing to an environment in which corruption and mismanagement could flourish.
CHICAGO - The crux of Gov. Pat Quinn's plan to prevent big budget cuts is making permanent an income tax increase, which he acknowledges isn't palatable for many Illinoisans. And the move is even riskier in an election year as his Republican challenger, Bruce Rauner, has blasted the idea in hopes of appealing to tax-weary voters.
CHICAGO - Gov. Pat Quinn says state lawmakers should take a close look at a plan to tax Illinois millionaires.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan says he plans to call a vote on making the state's tax increase permanent.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An Illinois senator announce a push Tuesday for a major overhaul of the state's income tax structure, calling for a move to a graduated system that would require more from the wealthy.