- Illinois governor signs pension overhaul into law Updated: Dec-05-13 5:11 pm
- Attendees: Ill. pension bill signing was somber Updated: Dec-05-13 4:59 pm
- Pension vote could alter Illinois governor's race Updated: Dec-04-13 6:00 pm
- Unions target Senate Dems in pension reform battle Updated: Dec-01-13 4:25 pm
- A look at Illinois' pension crisis, proposed fix Updated: Nov-30-13 2:09 pm
- Political pressures impacted state health exchange Updated: Nov-24-13 12:27 pm
- Chicago agency's pension reform could be test case Updated: Nov-15-13 4:59 pm
- Lawmakers told to be ready for December session Updated: Nov-13-13 10:01 pm
- Lawmakers leave many Quinn priorities unresolved Updated: Nov-10-13 1:56 pm
- Madigan: 'Art of persuasion' boosted gay marriage Updated: Nov-05-13 6:25 pm
- Illinois lawmakers vote to allow gay marriages Updated: Nov-05-13 6:08 pm
CHICAGO - In a private ceremony attended by a handful of lawmakers, Gov. Pat Quinn signed landmark legislation Thursday to reform Illinois' massively-underfunded pension system, though labor unions immediately threatened a lawsuit challenging the new law.
CHICAGO - Lawmakers inside a private event where Gov. Pat Quinn signed landmark pension reform into law say the mood was somber.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Some longtime labor supporters chided Gov. Pat Quinn Wednesday over his legislative victory on a pension crisis he said he was "put on earth" to solve, a signal of the murky impact the landmark vote could have on next year's Illinois governor's race.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Up against a determined effort to curtail state employees' retirement benefits, Illinois' unions are staging an all-out campaign to thwart approval of a breakthrough proposal to solve the state's $100 billion pension crisis, specifically targeting a small contingent of moderate Senate Democrats.
CHICAGO - For years, Illinois' multibillion-dollar pension crisis has dragged down the state's finances and jeopardized the retirement funds of hundreds of thousands of public employees. Yet lawmakers remained sharply divided on how to fix the problem.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Most states led by Democratic governors have opted to run their own online health insurance marketplaces as part of the Affordable Care Act. But in President Barack Obama's home state, Gov. Pat Quinn pushed unsuccessfully for three years for a state-run marketplace, so Illinois residents now must rely on a crippled federal website.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - As pressure mounts on Illinois lawmakers to solve the state's pension crisis, the passage of reforms for Chicago park district employees is being held up as an example of a cooperative approach, even as it poses a dilemma for Gov. Pat Quinn, a vocal supporter of reform.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A top aide to House Speaker Michael Madigan told Illinois lawmakers Wednesday to be ready for a special session in Springfield in December, emailing them shortly after legislative leaders met to discuss solutions to the state's $100 billion pension crisis.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois Legislature wrapped up its official 2013 calendar last week after voting to legalize gay marriage, but it made little progress on fixing the state's pension crisis, gun control, ethics reform and other parts of Gov. Pat Quinn's agenda.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - House Speaker Michael Madigan says he used "the art of persuasion" with less than 10 lawmakers to help pass a bill allowing same-sex marriage.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois is set to become the 15th state and largest in the heartland to allow same-sex couples to marry.