- Analysis: At Mideast forum, hopes for future amid chaos Updated: May-22-15 3:30 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Against a backdrop of Iraq and Syria in flames, Middle Eastern political and business leaders sought to focus on a future of growth and investment for a region that for long has lagged behind. But present-day reality proved rather difficult to ignore, with the Islamic State group wreaking havoc not far from these Dead Sea shores.
- Egypt's president: Lack of 'justice' fueling extremism Updated: May-22-15 10:08 am
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Egypt's President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, who has led a massive ongoing crackdown on Islamists, said on Friday that the fight against extremism in the region must go hand-in-hand with pursuing greater "freedom, equality and justice."
- Anti-Brotherhood judge named justice minister in Egypt Updated: May-20-15 9:17 am
CAIRO - Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi on Wednesday named a controversial senior judge known for his deep hostility toward the now-outlawed Muslim Brotherhood as justice minister.
- Egypt's stock market soars after halt of capital gains tax Updated: May-18-15 11:04 am
CAIRO - Egypt suspended a capital gains tax on Monday, sending shares soaring after a months-long downturn in which investors had complained of a lack of clarity about the new taxes, with some even taking the government to court.
- Key events in Egypt since the 2011 uprising Updated: May-16-15 1:34 pm
Here are some key events from more than four years of turmoil and transition in Egypt:
- Egyptian satirist Bassem Youssef to host Int'l Emmy Awards Updated: May-12-15 12:58 am
NEW YORK - Egyptian satirist Bassem Youssef has been chosen to host the 2015 International Emmy Awards Gala in New York in November.
- Egypt's justice minister resigns after comments raise uproar Updated: May-11-15 3:31 pm
CAIRO - Egypt's justice minister resigned on Monday after raising a public uproar by saying in a TV interview that the children of sanitation workers are too lowly to become judges.
- Spain, Egypt to study Cairo-Luxor bullet train link Updated: Apr-30-15 10:11 am
MADRID - Spain and Egypt have agreed to study the feasibility of a bullet-train link between the Egyptian capital of Cairo and the ancient southern city of Luxor.
- Cyprus, Egypt, Greece to boost ties on combatting terrorism Updated: Apr-29-15 10:52 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - The leaders of Cyprus, Egypt and Greece agreed Wednesday to step up cooperation on combatting terrorism amid fears that worsening security conditions in neighboring countries such as Libya could threaten the region.