- New Hampshire voters take to polls in 1st-in-nation primary Updated: Feb-09-16 1:41 pm
New Hampshire hosts the first-in-the-nation presidential primary, featuring candidates for the Republican and Democratic nomination. Of the state's 1.33 million residents, more than 870,000 residents are registered to vote. Polls started opening at 7 a.m., except for a handful of communities that begin voting just after midnight. In Dixville Notch, voters in that tiny town gave Republican Ohio Gov. John Kasich two votes, Republican Donald Trump got two and U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders won four votes for his Democratic bid.
- WATCHING TUESDAY: NH existential test for Trump's candidacy Updated: Feb-09-16 12:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Which candidate is "the best," who's the most experienced, who's a revolutionary and who's a robot?
- DC gun case gets new judge after appeals court ruling Updated: Feb-09-16 12:17 pm
WASHINGTON - A new judge has been assigned to oversee a case about the District of Columbia's strict gun laws.
- Candidates sprint to NH finish, but brace for long campaign Updated: Feb-09-16 2:32 am
SALEM, New Hampshire - Eyeing their first wins in a capricious campaign, Republican Donald Trump lashed out at his opponents Monday while Democrat Bernie Sanders sought to play it safe on the eve of the nation's initial primary. GOP contenders vying for second and third saw fresh hopes for survival after New Hampshire as both parties settled in for a drawn-out slog to the nomination.
- Ex-Clinton speechwriter seeks New Jersey congressional seat Updated: Feb-08-16 3:57 pm
NORTHVALE, New Jersey - A former speechwriter for President Bill Clinton and Microsoft executive said Monday he is running for Congress as a Democrat to oust Republican incumbent Rep. Scott Garrett in northern New Jersey.
- Former Alabama Democratic chair Redding Pitt dies Updated: Feb-08-16 3:13 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A one-time chairman of Alabama's Democratic Party who also served as the chief federal prosecutor in Montgomery has died.
- Clinton making a personal pitch to New Hampshire voters Updated: Feb-08-16 3:20 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - From a Michigan pulpit to New Hampshire's town halls, Hillary Clinton is working to establish a personal connection with voters as she faces an increasingly difficult struggle against Bernie Sanders for the Democratic nomination.
- AP FACT CHECK: Fumbles from the Republican field Updated: Feb-08-16 1:13 am
WASHINGTON - What happened in Iowa didn't stay in Iowa. And when it reached the stage in the latest Republican presidential debate, Ted Cruz had some explaining to do.
- AP FACT CHECK: Clinton, Sanders missteps Updated: Feb-05-16 3:08 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest Democratic debate found Hillary Clinton in a defensive crouch about her Wall Street ties and making iffy claims about that longtime relationship. Rival Bernie Sanders offered a fumbling account of a campaign ad that boasted of endorsements that were bogus.
- Former President Bill Clinton in Nevada to boost caucus Updated: Feb-05-16 1:59 pm
LAS VEGAS - Campaign officials say former President Bill Clinton will headline rallies in Las Vegas and rural Nye County to support presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton and boost enthusiasm ahead of the Feb. 20 state Democratic caucus.
- Louisiana Senate race draws its first Democratic candidate Updated: Feb-04-16 4:51 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's U.S. Senate race has its first Democratic contender.
- Ballot measure to let 18-year-olds serve in office advances Updated: Feb-01-16 2:15 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A ballot measure that would let 18-year-olds take public office in Nebraska won first-round approval from lawmakers Monday, despite some misgivings about maturity levels.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Harvey Weinstein honored at amfAR New York Fashion Week gala Updated: Jan-28-16 5:52 pm
NEW YORK - The Foundation for AIDS Research is recognizing film producer Harvey Weinstein at its annual New York Fashion Week gala.
- Voters conflicted on relevance of Clinton marriage drama Updated: Jan-28-16 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - It's fair game. It's ancient history.
- Analysis of racial polling shows whites more aware of racism Updated: Jan-28-16 12:20 am
PHILADELPHIA - More white Americans now share the view, long held by minorities, that racism is a national problem and should be confronted, according to an analysis of recent public opinion polling.
- Analysis: US student arrest renews scrutiny of NKorean tours Updated: Jan-27-16 6:14 am
TOKYO - An American university student's arrest in North Korea has rekindled questions about whether a small but steady trickle of U.S. tourists who go to the country are unwittingly offering themselves up as valuable pawns in a political game with Pyongyang that can have serious repercussions for officials back in Washington who have to bail them out when things go wrong.
- Presidential race shows evolving gender roles in politics Updated: Jan-22-16 7:39 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Carly Fiorina has a husband who quit his career to further hers. Chris Christie boasts of his wife being the family's top earner. Hillary Clinton is looking to get back into the White House, but this time as president.
- Clinton's response to Sanders has some Democrats worried Updated: Jan-22-16 4:17 am
WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton has questioned Bernie Sanders' electability. She's criticized his plans for health care, foreign policy and Wall Street. And she's tagged him with flip-flopping on gun control.
- Utah congressmen unveil draft of public lands plan Updated: Jan-20-16 6:09 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Two Utah congressmen unveiled a draft plan Wednesday that calls for protecting 4 million acres of public land in Utah in exchange for freeing up more than 1 million acres for recreation and oil and gas development.
- Immigration tops politically charged caseload for high court Updated: Jan-20-16 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court's decision to add immigration to its already robust list of politically charged cases means a raft of rulings in the late spring or early summer that could inject the court into the presidential campaign.
- NFL picks 2 VPs, including former Clinton press secretary Updated: Jan-19-16 4:50 pm
NEW YORK - Joe Lockhart, a former press secretary for President Bill Clinton, will join the NFL as the league's executive vice president of communications.
- In tight race, Democrats debate passion versus practicality Updated: Jan-18-16 8:24 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - With just two weeks to go before the first votes of the 2016 race for president, Democrats Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders engaged in their most contentious debate match-up to date, underscoring their tightening primary race as the Iowa caucuses draw near.
- Another potential 'First Guy' on the 2016 trail: Meet Frank Updated: Jan-18-16 3:44 am
MARION, Iowa - Frank Fiorina is hitting the road in Iowa and other early voting states for his wife Carly Fiorina, the former technology CEO seeking the Republican presidential nomination.
- The Latest: Updates from the Democratic presidential debate Updated: Jan-17-16 9:35 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Here are the latest developments from the Democratic presidential candidates' final debate before the Feb. 1 Iowa caucuses.