- Senate Democrats demand more money for Amtrak repair backlog Updated: May-21-15 5:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats on Thursday demanded that Republicans provide more money for Amtrak so the railroad can tackle a $21 billion maintenance and repair backlog, including replacing tunnels more than a century old.
- Sen. Ayotte highlights drug-exposed newborn legislation Updated: May-18-15 3:41 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Medical providers and first responders on Monday urged Sen. Kelly Ayotte to consider further incorporating mental health treatment into her efforts to address New Hampshire's heroin and prescription drug crisis.
- Ayotte co-sponsoring bill to protect infants from drugs Updated: May-16-15 3:46 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Republican New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte is co-sponsoring a bill that would address a growing number of infants being exposed to opioids while in the womb.
- Are bungled VA claims systemic? Senators want agency review Updated: May-06-15 2:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Troubled by delays in handling veterans claims, a bipartisan group of senators on Wednesday urged a wide-scale, independent review of the Department of Veterans Affairs for mismanagement and changes to improve budgeting and speed up applications.
- Fee proposed on rail cars that haul oil, other flammables Updated: Apr-30-15 6:15 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - U.S. senators from six states on Thursday proposed that the government charge companies a special fee to ship oil, ethanol and other flammable liquids in older railroad tank cars that have been involved in fiery explosions.
- Watchdog group issues dismal report on global press freedom Updated: Apr-29-15 4:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Terrorists are targeting journalists, authoritarian governments are jailing them and some countries are tightening media controls, developments that help explain why global press freedom in 2014 fell to the lowest point in more than 10 years, a democracy watchdog group said Wednesday.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Dems push higher pay for Senate workers Updated: Apr-28-15 1:47 am
WASHINGTON - Reports about a Senate cafeteria worker who makes so little money he is homeless are prompting calls for change from Democrats on Capitol Hill.
- Senator: Funds needed to help Pa. city combat gun violence Updated: Apr-27-15 5:48 pm
The federal government should send more money to help a small northeastern Pennsylvania city battling a rash of gun violence, a senator said Monday.