- Oregon bill passes expanding background checks for gun sales Updated: May-05-15 12:29 am
SALEM, Oregon - An Oregon bill expanding background checks to encompass nearly all gun sales in the state made it through the Legislature on Monday, overcoming obstacles that stymied two previous attempts to pass similar laws.
- California ramps up efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions Updated: Apr-29-15 7:35 pm
LOS ANGELES - Building on California's ambitious effort to curb greenhouse gas emissions, Gov. Jerry Brown on Wednesday called on the state to further slash its carbon footprint over the next 15 years.
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Apr-29-15 6:47 pm
The Denver Post, April 27, on the bar for school lawsuits:
- Bloomberg announces winners of Genesis Generation Challenge Updated: Apr-29-15 3:35 am
NEW YORK - Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has announced the nine recipients of the Genesis Generation Challenge, a competition that supports innovative projects guided by Jewish values to address global concerns.
- Chokehold case questions follow NY congressional candidate Updated: Apr-25-15 12:47 pm
NEW YORK - Even if Dan Donovan prefers to talk about Iran, immigration or taxes, there's another topic the Republican congressional hopeful can't avoid: the death of Eric Garner at the hands of a police officer.
- As theater shooting trial opens, gun debate dwindles Updated: Apr-25-15 11:29 am
DENVER - When a gunman opened fire inside a packed movie theater in July 2012, killing 12 and injuring 70, it did more than spread fear and heartbreak across the Denver suburbs. It helped revive the national debate over gun control.
- NYC mayor unveils sweeping environmental plan on Earth Day Updated: Apr-22-15 5:31 pm
NEW YORK - The nation's biggest city, under the direction of Mayor Bill de Blasio, marked Earth Day on Wednesday by linking a sweeping effort to limit its impact on the environment with its fight against income inequality by pledging to lift more than 800,000 people out of poverty.
- NYC issues loom large as NY lawmakers return to Albany Updated: Apr-20-15 12:47 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York City and its mayor have a lot riding on the last two months of the legislative session as lawmakers return to Albany to consider the extension of city rent regulations, mayoral control of schools and a minimum wage hike.
- Old candidates, young voters and the future of Philadelphia Updated: Apr-12-15 11:49 am
PHILADELPHIA - The oldest of the half-dozen Democrats angling to be Philadelphia's next mayor danced into a recent youth summit to the bass-thumping beat of 50 Cent's hip-hop classic "In da Club."
- Tenn. lawmakers can't agree on guns bill drafted as NRA gift Updated: Apr-09-15 5:59 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - It was supposed to be a welcoming gift from Tennessee lawmakers to the National Rifle Association and the more than 70,000 gun enthusiasts expected to attend the group's annual convention in Nashville this weekend.
- NYC officials: asbestos discovered in Gracie Mansion roof Updated: Apr-09-15 1:07 am
NEW YORK - Asbestos has been discovered in the roof at Gracie Mansion and work to remove the potentially cancer-causing materials from New York City's mayoral residence will begin this month, city officials told The Associated Press.
- News Guide: Sen. Joe Manchin on coal, guns, governorship Updated: Apr-07-15 7:47 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin says it's "about a 50-50 toss-up" whether he will make a return bid at governor next year.
- Commission: NYC discriminated in paying managers Updated: Apr-07-15 6:13 am
NEW YORK - A federal commission has found that New York City paid minorities and women administrative managers substantially less than their male counterparts.
- Tennessee governor not among army of speakers at NRA event Updated: Apr-05-15 11:07 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - When more than 70,000 gun enthusiasts descend on Nashville for the National Rifle Association's annual meeting this week, they won't be hearing from one prominent Tennessean: Republican Gov. Bill Haslam.