- Tuning up for American Pharoah's next race in the Haskell Updated: Jul-03-15 10:42 pm
The race, date and place are set for American Pharoah's next start: the Haskell Invitational, Aug. 2, Monmouth Park in Oceanport, New Jersey.
- Hispanic leaders want GOP field to condemn Trump's 'idiocy' Updated: Jul-03-15 7:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Hispanic leaders are bristling at the largely tepid response by Republican presidential candidates to Donald Trump's characterization of Mexican immigrants as rapists and drug dealers.
- Legislature gears up for summer with quiet and busy spells Updated: Jul-03-15 10:38 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - This summer will be both a sleepy season and a busy time for the New Jersey Legislature.
- Maryland governor out of hospital after 1st round of chemo Updated: Jul-02-15 2:03 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is out of the hospital and back at work after his first round of chemotherapy for an aggressive form of cancer.
- Martinez: Christie like many 'friends' eyeing GOP nomination Updated: Jul-02-15 9:47 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez says she knew her friend New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie would jump into the race for the GOP presidential nomination.
- Heeding Francis, Iowa Catholic leaders to pressure '16 field Updated: Jul-02-15 3:40 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Roman Catholic leaders in the early voting state of Iowa will call Thursday on candidates for president to follow the teachings of Pope Francis and focus as much on the environment and income inequality in 2016 as they have in past elections on opposing gay marriage and abortion.
- Hundreds of protesters rally outside Christie announcement Updated: Jun-30-15 9:26 pm
LIVINGSTON, New Jersey - The good vibes and enthusiasm that accompanied Republican Gov. Chris Christie's announcement that he's running for president Tuesday didn't extend outside Livingston High School, where hundreds of protesters gathered to take him to task on a number of fronts.
- Judge nixes bridge lane-closing suit against Christie allies Updated: Jun-30-15 4:02 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A federal judge has dismissed a class-action lawsuit filed by people who were stuck in traffic when lanes leading to the George Washington Bridge were closed without warning in 2013.
- Bon Jovi's politics: Cash for Clinton, music for Christie Updated: Jun-30-15 12:08 pm
LIVINGSTON, New Jersey - Bon Jovi is playing a big role in the 2016 presidential campaign in New Jersey.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Jun-30-15 6:10 am
Crunch time in Greece as bailout due to expire, IMF loan due with no deal in sight
- Deed would keep Trump Plaza shut for at least 10 years Updated: Jun-28-15 3:35 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The owners of Atlantic City's former Trump Plaza casino plan to keep it shut for at least 10 years as a tax-saving measure.
- Christie, Baraka plan for return of Newark schools control Updated: Jun-26-15 7:24 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - After 20 years of state control, schools in New Jersey's largest city will be returned to local control by the end of next school year, Gov. Chris Christie and Newark Mayor Ras Baraka said in a joint statement Friday.
- Jury finds promise of 'gay conversion' therapy was a fraud Updated: Jun-25-15 6:40 pm
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - A nonprofit organization that claimed it could turn gay men straight violated New Jersey's Consumer Fraud Act, a jury concluded Thursday in a civil trial that an attorney for the plaintiffs called "a momentous event" for LGBT rights.
- Health ruling relieves consumers; GOP states remain critical Updated: Jun-25-15 6:08 pm
MIAMI - Thursday's Supreme Court ruling validating federal health insurance subsidies for nearly 6.4 million Americans had consumers breathing a sigh of relief that they would be able to afford their policies, but the reaction was markedly different from governors and lawmakers in states that have fought against the Affordable Care Act.
- Atlantic City rescue bills approved, sent to Christie Updated: Jun-25-15 3:55 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers passed a package of bills Thursday to help Atlantic City and its struggling casinos and schools, and sent it to Gov. Chris Christie.
- More than 170K can keep health care subsidies in New Jersey Updated: Jun-25-15 2:58 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - More than 170,000 New Jersey residents can keep subsidies to pay for health insurance after the Supreme Court's 6-3 decision Thursday to uphold federally funded tax credits.
- The Latest: Obama says health law is 'here to stay' Updated: Jun-25-15 11:50 am
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the Supreme Court's decision on President Barack Obama's health care overhaul. (All times Eastern)
- Guadagno gets invited to Clinton fundraiser Updated: Jun-24-15 6:15 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey's Republican lieutenant governor is turning down an invitation to attend a fundraiser for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton.
- Ambulance, paramedic service in Camden could be overhauled Updated: Jun-24-15 1:22 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The provider of ambulance and paramedic services in Camden could change abruptly if a bill that's moving quickly through the state Legislature is adopted.
- Governors' trade missions have uneven record of success Updated: Jun-22-15 5:08 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Governors across the country have been packing their bags for all-expenses-paid trade missions abroad, spending taxpayer dollars on costly trips that have an uneven track record of yielding any tangible benefits for their states.
- Newark schools chief to step down after stormy 4-year tenure Updated: Jun-22-15 4:49 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Newark's schools superintendent is stepping down after an often stormy four-year tenure.
- Lawmakers advance Democrats' election law overhaul Updated: Jun-22-15 3:07 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey residents could be automatically enrolled to vote when they apply for a driver's license or register online under an election law overhaul being considered by an Assembly panel.
- Christie: Charleston shooting steeped in hate, racism Updated: Jun-21-15 9:20 pm
ORANGE, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie has told a packed church of worshippers at St. Matthew African Methodist Episcopal that last week's shooting in Charleston, South Carolina, was steeped in racism and hate.
- Equal pay, marijuana bills test Gov. Rauner's social agenda Updated: Jun-21-15 10:44 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Throughout his campaign for governor, Bruce Rauner asserted he didn't have a social agenda and was focused solely on Illinois' deepening financial crisis.
- Gun rights still trumping gun controls in politics Updated: Jun-19-15 6:48 pm
WASHINGTON - They offered prayers and moments of silence. They sought to comfort. Some flashed with anger and frustration that, once again, America was forced to confront another mass shooting.