- Lawyer for ex-Christie rival calls reprimand 'misguided' Updated: Oct-08-15 10:35 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - The attorney for a former state senator and Democratic candidate for governor is criticizing a state commission's decision to reprimand her.
- Chicago gun laws not as strict as they once were Updated: Oct-07-15 1:09 am
CHICAGO - The mass shooting at an Oregon community college last week thrust the debate over the nation's gun laws to the center of the presidential race. At least some of the Republicans who are running have pointed to Chicago as proof that gun control does not work.
- Activists: Stop gas terminal off New York, New Jersey coasts Updated: Oct-06-15 7:14 pm
SEA BRIGHT, New Jersey - Environmentalists and some elected officials are calling on the governors of New York and New Jersey to oppose a proposal for a liquefied natural gas import terminal off both states' coasts.
- After past opposition, SC delegation now seeks flood aid Updated: Oct-06-15 5:44 pm
WASHINGTON - South Carolina's congressional delegation is vowing to make sure the state gets federal help to recover from the historic flooding from massive rains.
- Lawyers argue court schedules in bridge lane-closing cases Updated: Oct-06-15 5:00 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Court schedules for two cases stemming from the 2013 lane closures at the George Washington Bridge could determine how much evidence the criminal defendants are allowed to see before trial, giving rise to the latest dispute between prosecutors and defense lawyers.
- Fox: Criminal investigation had no effect on resignation Updated: Oct-06-15 12:19 pm
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey - New Jersey's outgoing transportation chief said Tuesday that an investigation into whether United Airlines engaged in criminal activities while he lobbied on the company's behalf didn't affect his decision to resign.
- Official: Fox disappointed over transportation funding Updated: Oct-05-15 4:59 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie's transportation chief is resigning because he was disappointed over not reaching a plan to shore up the state's transportation trust fund, a key lawmaker and friend of the commissioner said Monday.
- Leaders who follow: What candidates' Twitter lists reveal Updated: Oct-05-15 2:34 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Jeb Bush follows Donald Trump on Twitter but that's a one-way street: Trump mainly follows people with a connection to himself. Ted Cruz's follow list is a big tea party, though he keeps an eye on President Barack Obama, too.
- Official: Christie transportation commissioner to step down Updated: Oct-02-15 10:20 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie's transportation commissioner will resign this month as federal investigators continue a wide-ranging probe into the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which he previously lobbied on behalf of United Airlines.
- Charity bike ride that draws 7,000 canceled because of storm Updated: Oct-02-15 11:12 am
OCEAN CITY, New Jersey - A big charity bike ride across New Jersey has been canceled because of the rainstorm pounding the state.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- US official: Hudson tunnel project needs clarity on scope Updated: Oct-01-15 5:43 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Plans are moving ahead to build a new Hudson River rail tunnel and make other large-scale infrastructure improvements, but the lack of a final decision on the scope of the project is stalling further advances, the federal official overseeing the project said Thursday.
- Newark teachers union not in love with breakthrough contract Updated: Oct-01-15 9:50 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - It was hailed as a breakthrough when the bargain was struck: Top-performing teachers in Newark could get bigger paychecks.
- Field for SC's Republican presidential primary set at 15 Updated: Sep-30-15 6:32 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Republican Party officials say 15 candidates have paid the $40,000 fee to be on the state GOP presidential primary ballot next year.
- In New Hampshire, substance abuse at center of 2016 campaign Updated: Sep-30-15 3:29 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - In town halls and meet-and-greets in Iowa and New Hampshire, voters are using their access to presidential hopefuls to raise painful and often deeply personal concerns about drug abuse.
- Clinton, Bush steady fundraising amid GOP summer Trump slump Updated: Sep-30-15 7:28 am
WASHINGTON - Voters won't cast their first ballots in the presidential race until February, but donors have been making their picks for months.
- Yogi Berra remembered at funeral by family, sports royalty Updated: Sep-29-15 8:51 pm
MONTCLAIR, New Jersey - A gold catcher's mitt was placed on top of his remains. But on a day filled with stories from a lifetime in baseball, Yogi Berra was remembered for being more than one of the game's greats.
- Noah takes over as 'Daily Show' host, praises Stewart Updated: Sep-29-15 8:55 am
NEW YORK - South African comic Trevor Noah moved in at "The Daily Show" on Monday, promising he'd try not to make predecessor Jon Stewart seem like a "crazy old dude who left his inheritance to some random kid from Africa."
- Christie: Gas tax hike should be paired with cuts Updated: Sep-28-15 4:11 pm
WHIPPANY, New Jersey - Republicans should not support any legislation raising the state's gasoline tax unless other taxes are cut, Gov. Chris Christie said Monday.
- Republican megadonor urges talk on climate change solutions Updated: Sep-28-15 3:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican businessman Jay Faison says his party should stop fighting science and start talking solutions to climate change. He has $175 million to invest in politics and policy to help inspire them. And if that's not enough, he's commissioned a survey, released Monday, that he says shows voters agree.
- 'The Prize' shows complexity of school reform Updated: Sep-28-15 2:46 pm
"The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?" (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), by Dale Russakoff
- No Labels event in NH to draw 8 presidential hopefuls Updated: Sep-28-15 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - Businessman Donald Trump, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Ohio Gov. John Kasich will headline a bipartisan presidential forum in New Hampshire next month aimed at addressing the nation's most urgent problems.
- Tangled web surrounds United's aborted Atlantic City routes Updated: Sep-28-15 2:44 am
NEW YORK - Desperate to draw visitors to Atlantic City, New Jersey officials gave United Airlines more than $100,000 in incentives to fly to the seaside resort for at least a year. Then, when United abruptly canceled the money-losing routes eight months later, the officials appointed by Gov. Chris Christie decided not to enforce a contract provision that required the airline to repay the money, The Associated Press has learned.
- Tangled web surrounds United's aborted Atlantic City routes Updated: Sep-28-15 2:36 am
NEW YORK - United Airlines was given more than $100,000 in marketing incentives last year as part of a deal to start flights to Atlantic City International Airport. However, The Associated Press has learned that when the airline broke the agreement by abruptly canceling the money-losing routes early, officials appointed by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie decided not to enforce a contract provision that required United to repay the money.
- GOP religious conservatives channeling anger toward victory Updated: Sep-27-15 5:11 am
WASHINGTON - Religious activists in the Republican Party, bolstered by House Speaker John Boehner's sudden exit, say the next GOP presidential nominee must share their uncompromising stance on abortion rights, gay marriage and other priorities to get to the White House.