- Church talks help make Cuba 'perfect place for negotiations' Updated: Feb-11-16 12:13 am
HAVANA - The heads of the Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox churches will hold a historic meeting Friday in the threadbare international airport of an officially secular, communist-run tropical island.
- Pope visit to Mexico basilica highlights Guadalupe influence Updated: Feb-10-16 4:15 pm
MEXICO CITY - A weathered pastel image of the Virgin of Guadalupe hangs from German Herrera Hernandez's dashboard, watching over his passengers from her perch next to his cigarettes, gum and the handful of coins he uses to make change.
- Lonely Planet names Philadelphia top US destination for 2016 Updated: Feb-09-16 1:38 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Lonely Planet gave some love to The City of Brotherly Love on Tuesday, ranking Philadelphia the No. 1 place to visit in the United States in 2016.
- Pope's visit to violent Mexican city highlights broader ills Updated: Feb-08-16 12:19 pm
ECATEPEC, Mexico - One evening in September 2014, Mariana Yanez left her home in this crime-plagued Mexico City suburb saying she was going to make some photocopies. Then she vanished.
- Pope Francis visit to celebrate Mexico's indigenous church Updated: Feb-07-16 1:53 pm
SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS, Mexico - Pope Francis' visit to the heavily indigenous Mexican state of Chiapas appears aimed at celebrating the region's "Indian church," a mix of Catholicism and indigenous culture once considered a thorn in the side of standard liturgy by the Vatican.
- Ecuador president fires military chiefs via Twitter Updated: Feb-05-16 5:13 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - President Rafael Correa says he has fired Ecuador's military high command for refusing to pay back to the state $41 million from an overvalued land deal.
- Pope to OK use of indigenous languages for Mass in Mexico Updated: Feb-05-16 3:06 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis will issue a decree authorizing the use of indigenous languages in Mass celebrations when he travels to Mexico next week, one of the symbolic gestures he will make in defense of Indian rights in the country.
- Historic step: Pope, Russia patriarch meet in Cuba Feb. 12 Updated: Feb-05-16 1:44 pm
VATICAN CITY - In an historic step to heal the 1,000-year schism that split Christianity, Pope Francis and the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church will meet in Cuba next week in an attempt to begin bridging the church's East-West divide.
- Alleged phony priest arrested for pope-trip swindle Updated: Feb-03-16 11:08 am
LOS ANGELES - A man who allegedly posed as a priest and officiated at Masses, funerals, confessions, and at least one marriage was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of selling thousands of dollars in phony tickets to see Pope Francis during last year's U.S. visit.
- Pope extends new olive branch to China in bid to mend ties Updated: Feb-02-16 12:51 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has expressed his great admiration for China and declined to criticize its longtime one-child policy in a bid to heal decades of estrangement between Beijing and the Holy See and open a new era of dialogue.
- Catholic leaders: El Paso faithful to receive papal blessing Updated: Feb-01-16 5:40 pm
EL PASO, Texas - Roman Catholic leaders in El Paso, Texas, say those attending a Sun Bowl telecast of Pope Francis' Mass in neighboring Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, will share in the papal blessing to be bestowed in Juarez.
- IS victims' advocate, pontiff among Nobel Peace Prize names Updated: Feb-01-16 12:39 pm
STAVANGER, Norway - A woman who champions the rights of Islamic State rape victims, Pope Francis and the Afghan women's cycling team are among the known candidates for the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize as the nomination window was set to close Monday.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Feb-01-16 9:05 am
The Des Moines Register. Jan. 28, 2016
- Car-making deals, protests greet Iranian president in Paris Updated: Jan-28-16 3:09 pm
PARIS - France's government welcomed Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Thursday with promises of a new beginning in an old relationship, starting with investments to boost Iran's flagging economy that has been crippled by decades of sanctions.
- DiCaprio greets pope in Italian, discusses environment Updated: Jan-28-16 2:49 pm
VATICAN CITY - Actor Leonardo DiCaprio brushed up his Italian to greet Pope Francis at the Vatican Thursday, discussed their shared concern over the environment and gave the pontiff a check for his charitable works.
- Religion news in brief Updated: Jan-27-16 2:43 pm
Cruz supporters in Iowa take Trump to task
- Italian gay rights debate prompts rethink of sacred family Updated: Jan-27-16 5:47 am
ROME - In Italy, family is considered so sacred that marriage is lauded in the Constitution. But what kind of family?
- Immigration at center of Pope's visit to Mexico-US border Updated: Jan-27-16 1:05 am
REYNOSA, Mexico - The young Salvadoran woman was robbed and forced to dodge kidnappers working for a drug cartel during her four-month odyssey to this border city of belching factories and swirling dust across the Rio Grande from Texas.
- Vatican: Iran must join fight against terrorism Updated: Jan-26-16 3:22 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis held talks with Iran's president at the Vatican Tuesday, calling on Tehran to play a key role in stopping the spread of terrorism as Iran tries to improve its image in the global arena following an agreement on its nuclear program.
- Iranian leader gives pope rug, wants Francis to pray for him Updated: Jan-26-16 10:00 am
VATICAN CITY - Iran's president and Pope Francis have exchanged gifts and wishes for hope and prayers after they met privately at the Vatican.
- The Latest: Iran's president, Pope Francis exchange gifts Updated: Jan-26-16 8:52 am
VATICAN CITY - The Latest on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Europe (all times local):
- UN OKs mission to monitor future cease-fire in Colombia Updated: Jan-25-16 7:31 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council on Monday unanimously approved a resolution to establish a political mission to monitor and verify a future cease-fire in Colombia that would end Latin America's longest-running guerrilla conflict.
- Pope Francis answers questions from children in new book Updated: Jan-25-16 6:14 pm
NEW YORK - "Dear Pope Francis," 10-year-old Mohammed begins, "Will the world be again as it was in the past?"
- Iranian president Rouhani begins 4-day European visit Updated: Jan-25-16 4:56 pm
ROME - Italy's premier said Monday that Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, kicking off the first state visit to Europe by an Iranian president in nearly two decades, "can play a fundamental role in the stability" of the Middle East.
- Pope to visit Sweden, apologizes for Catholic wrongs Updated: Jan-25-16 3:51 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has concluded an annual weeklong prayer for Christian unity by making a sweeping apology for Catholic wrongs committed against other Christians and by announcing he will visit Sweden to mark the 500th anniversary of the start of the Protestant Reformation.