- Arizona governor wants major new spending on border security Updated: Nov-23-15 5:18 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey said Monday he wants the Legislature to approve "tens of millions of dollars" in new funding for a border security force made up of state police, a move intended to address border smuggling even as immigration and terrorism worries emerge as potent 2016 political issues.
- House OK of GOP Syrian refugee curbs is just start of fight Updated: Nov-20-15 10:00 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans have embarrassed President Barack Obama by winning veto-proof House approval of legislation blocking Syrian and Iraqi refugees from the U.S., but from here the effort may take a different turn in Congress.
- Rebuffed over refugees, Obama aims to shift focus to visas Updated: Nov-20-15 3:39 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The White House is calling for changes that could prohibit some people from bypassing the traditional visa system to enter the American homeland.
- Bipartisan push in Senate for war powers after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-19-15 5:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The Paris attacks have given new impetus to a bipartisan push to approve new war powers to fight Islamic State militants, with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday joining Republican and Democratic lawmakers in calling for what would be the first war vote in Congress in 13 years.
- Republicans rush to shut borders to Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-18-15 9:40 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans urged an immediate closure of America's borders to Syrian refugees Tuesday, drawing angry denunciations from President Barack Obama and other Democrats and igniting an emotional debate about U.S. values in the wake of the deadly Paris terror attacks.
- Leaders: Customs staff shortage at border hurts business Updated: Nov-10-15 2:47 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - U.S. Customs and Border Protection is pushing to ease a staffing shortage at Arizona-Mexico ports of entry that business leaders say is hurting the state economy by causing lengthy waits for trucks and tourists.
- Blumenthal: end 'paid patriotism' at sporting events Updated: Nov-07-15 3:38 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A U.S. senator from Connecticut is joining the chorus of critics calling for an end to taxpayer-funded patriotic displays at NFL games and other professional sports events.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Feinstein vs. Cruz Updated: Nov-04-15 5:09 pm
WASHINGTON - It was another round of Cruz vs. Feinstein.
- Senate passes bill to push sharing of info on hacker threats Updated: Oct-27-15 6:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate passed a bill Tuesday aimed at improving cybersecurity by encouraging companies and the government to share information about threats. It took roughly six years to win approval for such a program.