- Review: 'Transcendence' like a clunky TED talk Updated: Apr-16-14 1:22 pm
- Critic's Notebook: Spring movies offer surprises Updated: Apr-11-14 1:49 pm
- 'Under the Skin' a sci-fi shock to the system Updated: Apr-03-14 9:25 am
- Review: 'Captain America' zippy but hollow Updated: Apr-01-14 6:54 pm
- Engaged Johnny Depp shows off 'chick's ring' Updated: Mar-31-14 11:48 pm
- Carter: Boycott of Israel "too much" Updated: Mar-24-14 2:47 pm
- Rising star Santino Fontana refuses repetition Updated: Mar-20-14 8:38 am
HAL has come a long way.
NEW YORK - Sandwiched between the chest-thumping ambition of awards season and the swaggering spectacle of summer, spring movie-going is usually an afterthought, a limbo for films not bankable enough for July or highbrow enough for the Oscars. But it might actually be the best time of year for the movies. In springtime - particularly this year - the movies come alive.
NEW YORK - Jonathan Glazer's "Under the Skin," starring Scarlett Johansson as an alien seductress who trolls Scotland for human prey, is a provocative, disturbing sci-fi shock to the system. The effect is deliberate. The movies, Glazer says, could use a jolt.
NEW YORK - For the latest Marvel release, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," most fan boys might prefer a Consumer Reports-style product review.
BEIJING - Johnny Depp showed off a diamond engagement ring that he called a "chick's ring" on Monday - indirectly confirming rumors of his engagement to actress Amber Heard.
NEW YORK - Former President Jimmy Carter said Monday that he doesn't support the Palestinian-led "boycott, divest, sanction" campaign against Israel but said products made in Israel-occupied Palestinian territories should be clearly labeled so buyers can make a choice about them.
NEW YORK - Actors like to switch it up, but Santino Fontana has taken that to ridiculous lengths.