- AP Interview: Qatar minister vows to improve migrants' lives Updated: May-04-15 3:04 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's inability to ensure decent housing for its bulging migrant labor population was "a mistake" the government is working to fix as it prepares to host the 2022 World Cup, the country's top labor official said Monday, vowing his country would improve conditions for its vast foreign labor force.
- FIFA to study Israel-Palestinians dispute on election day Updated: May-04-15 10:09 am
GENEVA - A move to consider suspending Israel from world football will be put to FIFA's 209 member federations just before they elect their president this month.
- FIFA's Prince Ali seeks more say for national associations Updated: May-03-15 2:32 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - FIFA must give national associations a greater say in the governance of world football and adopt a more regional outlook because "you cannot run everything simply from Zurich," FIFA presidential candidate Prince Ali of Jordan said Sunday.
- Pair of sheikhs are the big winners at Asian elections Updated: Apr-30-15 10:29 am
MANAMA, Bahrain - A pair of sheikhs were the big winners Thursday at a meeting of Asian soccer leaders.
- Sepp Blatter tells World Cup detractors to 'stay at home' Updated: Apr-20-15 11:24 am
- Sport federations' chief Marius Vizer attacks IOC Updated: Apr-20-15 10:47 am
SOCHI, Russia - The head of the association representing international sports federations launched a scathing attack on the IOC on Monday, accusing the Olympic body of running a system that is "expired, outdated, wrong, unfair and not at all transparent."
- Russia's World Cup organizers face budget headaches Updated: Apr-12-15 8:32 am
SARANSK, Russia - Saransk's stadium for the 2018 World Cup is supposed to raise the profile of this little-known Russian city, but for now Alexei Merkushkin is just trying to keep costs down.
- 'Unknown hero' Steve Mokone remembered in South Africa Updated: Apr-11-15 3:41 pm
JOHANNESBURG - The fans called him "The Black Meteor" in the Netherlands. In Italy, he was "the Maserati" of soccer players. He was signed by Spanish giants Barcelona. Yet at home in apartheid-era South Africa, Steve Mokone's achievements were never celebrated and he was almost unknown.
- Gulati: FIFA could benefit from US World Cup in 2026 Updated: Apr-10-15 3:36 pm
LOS ANGELES - U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati believes his sport could receive a big domestic boost from hosting the World Cup in 2026.
- Maradona says election chance to kick Blatter in 'rear end' Updated: Apr-10-15 12:36 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Diego Maradona believes the upcoming FIFA election offers a chance "to kick (Sepp) Blatter in the rear end."
- Africa promises Blatter unanimous support Updated: Apr-07-15 12:02 pm
Every one of Africa's 54 member countries will vote for Sepp Blatter in next month's FIFA presidential election, the continent's soccer boss said on Tuesday, referring to the 79-year-old Swiss as "dear Sepp."
- Prince Ali expects sponsors to snub FIFA if Blatter stays Updated: Apr-06-15 9:32 am
FIFA presidential candidate Prince Ali bin al-Hussein believes the scandal-hit organization will struggle to replace sponsors and be damaged financially if Sepp Blatter remains in charge.
- Blatter back among friends: Africa ready to show its support Updated: Apr-06-15 8:50 am
The three men challenging Sepp Blatter for the most powerful job in world soccer can see for themselves this week just how difficult it will be to remove the Swiss as FIFA president.