- French-made warship destined for Russia sets sail Updated: Mar-05-14 4:52 pm
- US, Europeans try to rally Western front vs Russia Updated: Mar-03-14 11:16 pm
- Morocco halts judicial accord with France in spat Updated: Feb-26-14 4:21 pm
- Obama threatens consequences for Ukraine violence Updated: Feb-19-14 9:42 pm
- US, Europe considering sanctions on Kiev leaders Updated: Feb-19-14 3:21 pm
- With vote to curb immigration, Swiss roil Europe Updated: Feb-10-14 5:23 pm
PARIS - A French-built warship designed to strengthen Russia's ability to deploy troops, tanks and helicopter gunships embarked on its first test run Wednesday - just as Western powers are trying to rein in Russian President Vladimir Putin's military threat to Ukraine.
WASHINGTON - The U.S and major allies strained on Monday to rally a strong Western front to persuade Russia to step back from a military takeover of Ukraine's strategic Crimea region. But several acknowledged there are few options beyond already-threatened economic and diplomatic penalties, and critics said administration efforts were too little, too late after years of pressing for friendlier relations with Moscow.
RABAT, Morocco - Morocco's Justice Ministry announced Wednesday the suspension of all judicial cooperation accords with France in a deepening spat between the two close allies.
TOLUCA, Mexico - President Barack Obama on Wednesday urged Ukraine to avoid violence against peaceful protesters or face consequences, as the United States considered joining European partners to impose sanctions aimed at ending deadly street clashes that are sparking fears of civil war.
BRUSSELS - Following the deadly clashes in Ukraine's capital, the Obama administration and European governments are talking about imposing punitive sanctions, the Kremlin has blamed the West for stirring up trouble and the pope has issued a special appeal for peace. A roundup of Wednesday's international reactions:
BRUSSELS - The choice by Swiss voters to impose new curbs on immigration is sending shockwaves through the European Union. The bloc's leaders warn it violates the "sacred principle" of freedom of movement and politicians worry about its impact on other anti-immigration pushes. Here's a look at the issue: