- AG candidates take hard-hitting campaign to Fancy Farm Updated: Aug-01-15 11:18 pm
FANCY FARM, Kentucky - Democrat Andy Beshear and Republican Whitney Westerfield traded pot shots Saturday at Kentucky's premier political showdown, where prosecutorial experience and claims of skipping work for pedicures spiced up their hard-hitting campaign for attorney general.
- Bevin saves jabs for Fancy Farm at annual political picnic Updated: Aug-01-15 6:34 pm
FANCY FARM, Kentucky - Matt Bevin went to Fancy Farm and brought back a selfie with Mitch McConnell and a T-shirt from James Comer.
- How will Nevada handle Obama's historic anti-pollution push? Updated: Aug-01-15 2:55 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The Obama administration is embarking on an unprecedented push to limit the amount of carbon pollution from the nation's power plants, and Nevada expects to find out this week how much it needs to reduce emissions.
- UN nuclear chief to talk to Senate critics of Iran nuke deal Updated: Jul-31-15 4:15 pm
VIENNA - U.S. Senators who accuse the Obama administration of making secret deals with Iran that go beyond the publicly known nuclear pact will get a chance next week to question the head of the U.N. agency said to be linked to the alleged clandestine documents
- Monster of a fall awaits Congress after summer break Updated: Jul-31-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - As lawmakers head out of the Capitol for a five-week summer recess, they leave behind a pile of unfinished business that all but guarantees a painful fall.
- Fancy Farm looks to sports talk radio host as its 2015 emcee Updated: Jul-31-15 1:55 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - If the goal of last year's Fancy Farm picnic was to tone down the crowd, this year's version promises to turn up the volume.
- Congress passes 3-month highway, transit aid patch Updated: Jul-30-15 3:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress sent President Barack Obama a three-month bill to keep highway and transit money flowing to states on Thursday, one day before the deadline for a cutoff of funds.
- Senate passes 6-year highway bill, short-term patch needed Updated: Jul-30-15 12:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate passed a long-term transportation bill, but with House lawmakers already dispersed for their August recess, the bill will become just one more sticky issue on a jam-packed congressional agenda in the fall.
- GOP leaders rally around Kirk after fundraiser's criticism Updated: Jul-29-15 10:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Republicans rallied around first-term U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk on Wednesday after a top fundraiser briefly suggested that the moderate elected to Barack Obama's former seat should abandon his re-election bid due to a recent series of public gaffes.
- Sen. Cruz takes on more traditional GOP target: the IRS Updated: Jul-29-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - After a week of fighting with other Republicans, Sen. Ted Cruz took on a more traditional GOP target Wednesday: the IRS.
- On Capitol Hill, GOP fighting itself instead of Democrats Updated: Jul-29-15 4:10 pm
WASHINGTON - When Republicans took full control of Congress this year, they were determined to show voters they could govern responsibly. Instead they've been tearing each other apart in extraordinarily public displays, delighting Democrats and giving some in the GOP heartburn as the party aims for the White House in 2016.
- Mississippi editorial roundup Updated: Jul-29-15 4:00 pm
Recent editorials from Mississippi newspapers:
- Boehner calls challenge by Republican 'no big deal' Updated: Jul-29-15 3:42 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner brushed aside a challenge to his tenure on Wednesday as the work of a lone dissident Republican amounting to "no big deal."
- 5 things to know about the fight over the Export-Import Bank Updated: Jul-28-15 5:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The federal Export-Import Bank expired June 30 when Congress failed to renew its charter. The bank is a small federal agency that helps U.S. companies sell their products overseas, by underwriting loans to foreign customers. Conservatives oppose it as corporate welfare and are pushing to keep it dead. But late Monday the Senate voted 64-29 to add legislation reviving the bank to a sweeping highway bill being considered on the floor.
- Senator objects to anti-terrorism rules for online sites Updated: Jul-28-15 3:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Sen. Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat and skeptic of broad government surveillance, objected Tuesday to a bill that would have required social media and online sites like Google, Yahoo, Twitter and Facebook to alert federal authorities of any terrorist activity.
- Senior Republicans rebuke Cruz over his attacks on McConnell Updated: Jul-26-15 9:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Senior Senate Republicans lined up Sunday to rebuke Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz for harshly criticizing Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, an extraordinary display of intraparty division played out live on the Senate floor.
- Ted Cruz goes to Senate floor to call GOP leader a liar Updated: Jul-25-15 5:47 pm
WASHINGTON - In a stunning, public attack on his own party leader, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz accused Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of lying, and said he was no better than his Democratic predecessor and couldn't be trusted.
- Walker announces senior presidential campaign team Updated: Jul-24-15 3:04 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker announced the leaders of his presidential campaign team on Friday, a mixture of longtime, close advisers from Wisconsin, employees of the Republican National Committee and veterans of previous national races.
- Senate GOP setting up 'Obamacare' vote on highway bill Updated: Jul-24-15 10:15 am
WASHINGTON - Senate Republican leaders announced plans Friday to use a must-pass highway bill to try to overturn President Barack Obama's health care law, in the latest GOP assault on "Obamacare."
- Senate moves forward on 6-year highway, transit bill Updated: Jul-22-15 9:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate agreed Wednesday to take up a sweeping transportation bill a little over a week before states will face a cutoff of highway and transit aid in the middle of the summer construction season.
- Chiding Congress, Obama urges fast Ex-Im Bank renewal Updated: Jul-22-15 6:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Chiding Congress in no uncertain terms, President Barack Obama warned Wednesday that American businesses are suffering while the Export-Import Bank lapses, and called on lawmakers to reauthorize the bank within days.
- US Capitol flags lowered in memory of Tennessee victims Updated: Jul-21-15 12:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The flags at the U.S. Capitol were lowered to half-staff on Tuesday to honor the five service members killed in Chattanooga, Tennessee, last week.
- McConnell to attend Fancy Farm picnic Updated: Jul-21-15 4:09 am
SHEPHERDSVILLE, Kentucky - Kentucky Republicans will have their longtime standard-bearer at this year's Fancy Farm picnic.
- Fierce fight looms on Ex-Im Bank as outside groups weigh in Updated: Jul-20-15 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress is about to decide the fate of an obscure federal agency that has become improbably tangled in presidential politics and Republican Party infighting, and the billionaire Koch Brothers may end up on the losing side.
- McConnell talks up presidential race, mum on governor's race Updated: Jul-20-15 2:59 pm
SHEPHERDSVILLE, Kentucky - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is handicapping next year's presidential race, but the Kentucky Republican didn't mention his home state's pivotal campaign for governor in a speech to a business group.