- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 Updated: Dec-08-13 4:10 pm
- Main players in Ukraine's political drama Updated: Dec-02-13 12:45 pm
- Ukraine's Euromaidan: What's in a name? Updated: Dec-02-13 4:50 am
- Police forcefully break up demonstration in Kiev Updated: Nov-30-13 12:08 am
- EU blames Russia for failure of deal with Ukraine Updated: Nov-29-13 11:36 am
- EU dispute puts Tymoshenko in tight spot Updated: Nov-27-13 10:22 am
- Ukraine suspends preparations for signing EU deal Updated: Nov-21-13 6:28 pm
- Merkel leads EU calls for Ukraine to reform Updated: Nov-18-13 1:19 pm
- East or West? Ukraine now has to choose its path Updated: Nov-18-13 6:43 am
KIEV, Ukraine - Hundreds of thousands of protesters poured into the streets of Ukraine's capital on Sunday, toppling a statue of former Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin and blockading key government buildings in an escalating standoff with the president over the future of the country.
KIEV, Ukraine - The Ukrainian government's abrupt decision to freeze ties with the West and violently disperse a peaceful rally has fueled public anger and drawn hundreds of thousands to the streets of the Ukrainian capital. Here is a look at the main characters in Ukraine's political drama:
MOSCOW - Soon after the current wave of protests arose in Ukraine, a new word appeared to describe them: Euromaidan. Already in wide use as a hashtag on Twitter, it's an intriguing invention - linguistically rooted in both East and West, elusive to translate and an insightful glimpse into the country's troubled politics. Who coined it isn't clear, and it's become so popular that it seems almost to have sprung from the collective unconscious.
KIEV, Ukraine - Police in the Ukrainian capital broke up a large anti-government demonstration in the city center before dawn Saturday, swinging truncheons and injuring many.
VILNIUS, Lithuania - EU leaders Friday revived Cold War rhetoric Friday, accusing Russia of bullying Ukraine into ditching a landmark deal so the former Soviet republic would stay locked in Moscow's orbit.
MOSCOW - In the tensions over whether Ukraine will move closer to the European Union or be pulled toward Moscow, the most vivid figure may be the one who's least seen - former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, who turned 53 in a prison cell Wednesday.
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine said Thursday it was suspending preparations to sign a landmark agreement with the European Union and would focus instead on restoring ties with Russia, appearing to yield to pressure from its powerful neighbor and dealing a harsh blow to plans for the ex-Soviet nation to integrate further with the West.
BRUSSELS - German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday led European Union calls for Ukraine to reform its judicial system beyond the case of jailed former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko before the bloc signs any association agreement with Kiev.
KIEV, Ukraine - According to an old folk tradition, if a man knocks on the door of a Ukrainian beauty with a marriage proposal but does not win her heart, she will reject her suitor by presenting him with a pumpkin.