- Carter: Successful Iran nuclear deal better than strike Updated: Jul-29-15 7:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that the U.S. armed forces stand ready to confront Iran, but told lawmakers that a successful implementation of the nuclear agreement with Tehran is preferable to a military strike.
- The Latest: Kerry's nuke deal testimony translated in Iran Updated: Jul-28-15 12:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest developments on Obama administration officials' testimony Tuesday before Congress on the Iran nuclear deal (all times local EDT):
- Former ambassadors to Israel back Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-27-15 12:49 pm
WASHINGTON - Seven former U.S. diplomats and State Department officials sent a letter Monday to leaders in Congress urging them to support the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Kerry: Agreement on Iran issue only alternative to force Updated: Jul-24-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday that if Congress disapproves of the Iranian nuclear deal, it will undermine President Barack Obama's ability to act throughout the world.
- Report: Social Security disability fund to run dry next year Updated: Jul-22-15 5:15 pm
WASHINGTON - The 11 million Americans who receive Social Security disability face steep benefit cuts next year, the government said Wednesday, handing lawmakers a fiscal and political crisis in the middle of a presidential campaign.
- Fed directs 8 biggest US banks to hold extra capital Updated: Jul-20-15 4:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal regulators are directing the eight biggest U.S. banks to hold capital at levels above industry requirements to cushion against unexpected losses and reduce the chances of future taxpayer bailouts.
- House Dem leader Pelosi backs Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-16-15 11:26 am
WASHINGTON - House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said Thursday the nuclear deal negotiated by the United States, Iran and Western powers "will have my strong support."
- The Latest: European Union to give Greece short-term loan Updated: Jul-16-15 10:17 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest on Greece's financial crisis (all times local):
- $10 bill change rankles descendant of Alexander Hamilton Updated: Jul-10-15 12:16 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Doug Hamilton is just fine with plans to put a woman's portrait on U.S. paper money, but he'd prefer that the Treasury Department leave the $10 bill alone - particularly the prominent visage of his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, Alexander Hamilton.