- Study finds Zika virus in fetal brain, a clue in outbreak Updated: Feb-10-16 6:22 pm
WASHINGTON - New details about the possible effects of the Zika virus on the fetal brain emerged Wednesday as U.S. health officials say mosquito eradication here and abroad is key to protect pregnant women until they can develop a vaccine.
- Obama asking Congress for emergency funding to combat Zika Updated: Feb-08-16 10:40 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is asking Congress for more than $1.8 billion in emergency funding to fight the Zika virus and the mosquitoes that spread it here and abroad, but says "there shouldn't be a panic on this."
- Health officials want more Zika samples, data from Brazil Updated: Feb-04-16 12:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil is not sharing enough samples and disease data to let researchers determine whether the Zika virus is, as feared, linked to the increased number of babies born with abnormally small heads in the South American country, U.N. and U.S. health officials say.
- UN health chief: Zika virus is 'spreading explosively' Updated: Jan-28-16 7:18 pm
GENEVA - The Zika virus is "spreading explosively" in the Americas, which could see up to 4 million cases over the next year, international health officials said Thursday, announcing a special meeting next week to decide if they should declare an international health emergency.
- Health official doubts Zika virus poses major threat to US Updated: Jan-28-16 7:52 am
WASHINGTON - A leading Obama administration health official says he doubts the United States is vulnerable to a widespread outbreak of a virus linked to a wave of birth defects in Brazil.
- Research begins into possibility of a vaccine for Zika virus Updated: Jan-26-16 10:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. government is beginning research into a possible vaccine for the mosquito-borne Zika virus that is suspected of causing an unusual birth defect as it spreads in Latin America.