- Pentagon chief's take on Iraqis undercuts Obama's strategy Updated: May-26-15 5:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter's blunt assessment that Iraqi forces lack the "will to fight" undermines a central premise of President Barack Obama's strategy for defeating the Islamic State: that Iraq's military can effectively handle ground operations so Americans don't have to.
- Biden tries to smooth over anger sparked by Carter's comment Updated: May-26-15 3:15 am
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is reassuring Iraq's government of U.S. support in the fight against the Islamic State group, telephoning Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi with thanks for "the enormous sacrifice and bravery of Iraqi forces" one day after Defense Secretary Ash Carter questioned the Iraqi military commitment.
- Biden discusses Asia-Pacific region at Navy graduation Updated: May-22-15 1:16 pm
- Justice Department eyes voting reforms for American Indians Updated: May-21-15 7:32 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - The U.S. Department of Justice is seeking legislation that would require state and local election officials to work with American Indian tribes to locate at least one polling place on or near each tribe's land.
- Beau Biden undergoing undisclosed treatment at Walter Reed Updated: May-19-15 7:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden's son, former Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden, is undergoing treatment at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
- China's impact looms large as US debates its own trade deals Updated: May-19-15 3:41 pm
WASHINGTON - If the U.S. doesn't write the rules of international trade, President Barack Obama warns, China will. In fact, China is already helping write those rules, and in some ways has jumped ahead of the game.
- Biden urges Yale grads to question judgment, not motives Updated: May-17-15 6:13 pm
- White House: Obama assets between $1.9M and $6.9M Updated: May-15-15 7:26 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, held assets last year that were worth roughly $1.9 million to $6.9 million, according to their required financial disclosure reports.
- Dr. Jill Biden to speak at community college commencement Updated: May-14-15 4:06 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Dr. Jill Biden is scheduled to deliver the commencement address to graduates of Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte.
- Obama: Amtrak derailment "a tragedy that touches us all" Updated: May-13-15 3:25 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Wednesday that the deadly derailment of Amtrak Train 188 was "a tragedy that touches us all." He promised a thorough investigation.
- Blog site Tumblr launches anti-bullying support campaign Updated: May-13-15 11:47 am
LOS ANGELES - Actress Elizabeth Banks, singer Jordin Sparks and Vice President Joe Biden are among those helping Tumblr establish a safe place from bullies online.
- Obama, Biden tell Kurdish leader US stands by unified Iraq Updated: May-05-15 7:45 pm
- Delaware conference eyes community efforts to end hunger Updated: May-04-15 2:19 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Organizers of a conference being held in Wilmington are hoping to bring government agencies, nonprofits, businesses and faith-based groups together in an effort to end hunger in Delaware.
- Vice President Biden touts community policing at NAACP event Updated: May-03-15 11:37 pm
DETROIT - Vice President Joe Biden has told a crowd at an NAACP event in Detroit that law enforcement officers and the people they are sworn to protect need to "see each other" to know one another.
- Detroit NAACP leader says blacks need help from Washington Updated: May-03-15 5:10 pm
DETROIT - The head of the Detroit branch of the NAACP is demanding that elected leaders in Washington fix the problem of jobs, education and training in black communities.
- Congressmen to reconsider separate funding for Iraq factions Updated: May-03-15 3:52 pm
BAGHDAD - Congress may reconsider a provision in an upcoming bill funding the training of the Iraqi army that would also send weapons directly to Arab Sunnis and Kurds, a congressman visiting Baghdad said Sunday.
- Hassan travels for Democratic Governors Association events Updated: May-02-15 8:50 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan is out of state this weekend for fundraisers put on by the Democratic Governors Association.
- Delaware economic development director Levin stepping down Updated: Apr-30-15 6:56 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Delaware's state economic development director is stepping down from his cabinet post, officials announced Thursday.
- Panel recommends sweeping changes at NY's LaGuardia Airport Updated: Apr-30-15 6:23 pm
NEW YORK - A design panel commissioned by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has vowed to renovate the decrepit LaGuardia International Airport, has recommended sweeping changes including the creation of a "great hall" that would serve as the main entrance to travelers at the much-derided facility.
- The Latest: 'Jersey Boys' serenade guests at state dinner Updated: Apr-28-15 10:59 pm
10:40 p.m. (EDT)
- Biden implores Ukraine to do more to fight corruption Updated: Apr-28-15 2:39 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is imploring Ukraine's leaders to investigate and prosecute corruption that is rampant throughout the government.
- Jamaica woman brings attention to rapes targeting lesbians Updated: Apr-28-15 11:17 am
KINGSTON, Jamaica - When Angeline Jackson and a friend were ambushed at gunpoint and sexually assaulted on a wooded trail outside the Jamaican capital, police initially seemed less concerned about the attack than the fact she is a lesbian.
- Loretta Lynch sworn in as new US attorney general Updated: Apr-27-15 10:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Loretta Lynch was sworn in Monday as the 83rd U.S. attorney general, the first African-American woman to serve as the nation's top law enforcement official.
- Madigan continues push for campus sex assault protection Updated: Apr-27-15 12:52 pm
EDWARDSVILLE, Illinois - Victims of campus sex assaults in Illinois would have confidential university advisers to help guide them through the legal and medical systems under a legislative proposal that has passed the state House.