- Pope ramps up charity office to be near poor, sick Updated: Nov-28-13 2:07 pm
- Pope issues mission statement for papacy Updated: Nov-26-13 4:15 pm
- Putin meets pope and Berlusconi in Italy Updated: Nov-25-13 5:53 pm
- A rabbi whose good friend became the pope Updated: Nov-21-13 10:20 am
- Pope out with cold, cancels morning audiences Updated: Nov-15-13 11:17 am
- Documentary 'The Cross' is simple, vintage Bill Graham Updated: Nov-13-13 2:21 pm
VATICAN CITY - When he was archbishop of Buenos Aires, Pope Francis was known to sneak out at night and break bread with the homeless, sit with them literally on the street and eat with them, as part of his aim to share the plight of the poor and let them know someone cared.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis denounced the global financial system that excludes the poor as he issued the mission statement for his papacy on Tuesday, saying he wants the Catholic Church to get its hands dirty as it seeks to bring solace and mercy to society's outcasts.
VATICAN CITY - Russian President Vladimir Putin had a busy first day in Rome on Monday, going from the pope to a "Pussy Riot" protest to dinner at the palazzo of his old friend, Silvio Berlusconi.
NEW YORK - It was September, not an easy time for a religious Jew to be traveling. The Jewish month of Tishrei was ending with its marathon of holy days. Kosher wine would be needed. There were Sabbath blessings to recite. Fortunately, Rabbi Abraham Skorka had a friend with the run of a hotel who arranged for kosher meals and said "amen" to the rabbi's prayers.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis canceled his morning audiences Friday because of a cold, the first time the industrious pope is known to have slowed his busy schedule due to illness.
(Mattingly, SHNS - Column) - On Religion.