- Pope gives tough love to Mexico's political, church elite Updated: Feb-13-16 8:11 pm
MEXICO CITY - Pope Francis challenged Mexico's political and ecclesial elites on Saturday to provide their people with security, justice and courageous pastoral care to confront the drug-inspired violence and corruption that are wracking the country, delivering a tough-love message to Mexico's ruling classes on his first full day in the country.
- The Latest: Pope briefly emerges to speak with well-wishers Updated: Feb-12-16 11:21 pm
HAVANA - The latest on Pope Francis's historic meeting in Cuba with Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill and his subsequent trip to Mexico (all times local):
- 5 Things to Know about the pope's trip to Mexico Updated: Feb-11-16 11:31 am
VATICAN CITY - History's first Latin American pope travels to Mexico on Friday for a weeklong tour of some of the most violent, poverty-stricken and peripheral places in the Americas. He'll be bringing a message of hope and solidarity to victims of drug violence, trafficking and discrimination - a message the Vatican hopes will also resonate north of the border.
- Pope visit to Mexico basilica highlights Guadalupe influence Updated: Feb-10-16 4:15 pm
MEXICO CITY - A weathered pastel image of the Virgin of Guadalupe hangs from German Herrera Hernandez's dashboard, watching over his passengers from her perch next to his cigarettes, gum and the handful of coins he uses to make change.
- Pope Francis visit to celebrate Mexico's indigenous church Updated: Feb-07-16 1:53 pm
SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS, Mexico - Pope Francis' visit to the heavily indigenous Mexican state of Chiapas appears aimed at celebrating the region's "Indian church," a mix of Catholicism and indigenous culture once considered a thorn in the side of standard liturgy by the Vatican.
- Pope to visit Sweden, apologizes for Catholic wrongs Updated: Jan-25-16 3:51 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has concluded an annual weeklong prayer for Christian unity by making a sweeping apology for Catholic wrongs committed against other Christians and by announcing he will visit Sweden to mark the 500th anniversary of the start of the Protestant Reformation.
- Synagogue visit: Pope denounces violence done in God's name Updated: Jan-17-16 1:24 pm
ROME - Pope Francis denounced all religiously inspired violence during a visit to Rome's main synagogue Sunday, joining the oldest Jewish community in the diaspora in a sign of interfaith friendship at a time of Islamic extremist attacks around the globe.