- Under Clint Hurdle's new plan, Pirates hitting .294 in April Updated: Apr-28-16 5:06 pm
DENVER - Pirates manager Clint Hurdle has found a winning formula - regular rest for his players combined with a few other ingredients.
- Story's pursuit of rookie homer record for April on hold Updated: Apr-28-16 3:57 pm
DENVER - One less game in April for Trevor Story. One less opportunity to match - maybe even break - a rookie homer record for the month.
- Mercer's double in 12th lifts Pirates over Rockies 9-8 Updated: Apr-28-16 2:45 am
DENVER - Jordy Mercer's defense helped get the game to extra innings and his offense put Pittsburgh over the top.
- Left In: P Miller plays OF while Pirates beat D-backs in 13 Updated: Apr-24-16 11:06 pm
PHOENIX - Sean Rodriguez lined a double over the head of Arizona left fielder Shelby Miller to drive in the go-ahead run.
- Cole pitches well, Pirates rout Padres 11-1 to avoid sweep Updated: Apr-22-16 1:30 am
SAN DIEGO - After losing six of eight games, the Pittsburgh Pirates needed a game like they got from Gerrit Cole on Thursday night.
- Worried about Zika, MLB players question Puerto Rico games Updated: Apr-21-16 7:15 pm
- Big hit hard to come by as Pirates fall to Tigers 7-4 Updated: Apr-14-16 5:45 pm
PITTSBURGH - By nature, Pittsburgh Pirates manager Clint Hurdle doesn't waste time thinking about the things his team lacks.
- Zimmermann stays sharp, Tigers top Pirates 7-4 Updated: Apr-14-16 5:35 pm
PITTSBURGH - Jordan Zimmermann is making $110 million look like a wise investment. Maybe even a bit of a bargain.
- Upton's 4 hits, long homer lead Tigers over Pirates 8-2 Updated: Apr-12-16 8:15 pm
DETROIT - When new Tigers general manager Al Avila signed Justin Upton during the offseason to play left field and hit second, he had performances like Tuesday afternoon's in mind.
- Polanco doubles twice as Pirates beat Tigers, Verlander Updated: Apr-12-16 1:15 am
DETROIT - Justin Verlander has never been a big fan of April.
- Bruce hits winning triple in 9th, Reds edge Pirates Updated: Apr-10-16 5:32 pm
CINCINNATI - Jay Bruce came up big by thinking small.
- Major leaguers trying to figure out proper slide into 2nd Updated: Apr-09-16 6:01 pm
Something that used to be second nature in baseball - sliding hard into second base to prevent a double play - is deciding games and giving major leaguers fits a week into the season. From the AL to the NL, runners making that 90-foot dash are wondering: What's acceptable anymore?
- Nicascio helps Pirates beat Cardinals 5-1 for 3-game sweep Updated: Apr-06-16 11:56 pm
PITTSBURGH - Juan Nicasio had such an outstanding spring that he found no reason to make any changes in his first regular-season start.
- Pitt star Conner nearing end of cancer treatment Updated: Apr-03-16 2:40 pm
PITTSBURGH - James Conner's lungs are clear. His focus, too.
- Barnhart, Reds beat Pirates; Pittsburgh opens season Sunday Updated: Apr-02-16 6:49 pm
- Pirates looking for better start in 2016 Updated: Apr-01-16 3:46 pm
PITTSBURGH - The summers have not been the problem for the Pittsburgh Pirates under Clint Hurdle. When the temperature rises, so do the fortunes of his team, which reached the postseason in three consecutive years for only the third time in the franchise's 134-year history.
- Joyce, Cervelli, Rodriguez homer for Pirates against Rays Updated: Mar-31-16 6:29 pm
PORT CHARLOTTE, Florida - Matt Joyce, Francisco Cervelli and Sean Rodriguez homered in the first two innings, and the Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Tampa Bay Rays 13-8 at spring training on Thursday.