- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-06-15 12:37 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- House GOP unveils proposal to end state budget shortfall Updated: May-05-15 10:52 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama House Republicans on Tuesday threw their support behind a proposal to raise taxes while cutting and consolidating state government to solve the state's looming general fund budget crisis.
- Alabama budget woes: state's GOP lawmakers look to gambling Updated: May-05-15 5:13 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Republicans in both chambers of the Alabama Legislature are looking to gambling as a possible component of a solution to the state's budget woes.
- Bentley says gambling won't fix budget problems Updated: May-04-15 7:55 pm
DOTHAN, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley on Monday said gambling is not the solution to the state's budget woes and will not provide enough money to prevent deep cuts to law enforcement and other state agencies.
- Poarch Creeks: Let's talk compact Updated: May-03-15 1:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - For 15 years, the Poarch Band of Creek Indians has tried to persuade Alabama politicians to sit down and discuss a compact with the tribe.
- Alabama lawmaker readies proposal to allow lottery, casinos Updated: Apr-30-15 9:52 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama would get a lottery and four casinos under draft legislation that the Republican leader of the state senate distributed to legislators and reporters on Thursday.
- Bentley's 2014 tax returns: Gov. still not receiving salary Updated: Apr-15-15 10:14 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley's 2014 tax returns show he and his wife reported an income of $217,032 for 2014, but that he is still not accepting a paycheck for being governor.
- Alabama Chief Justice asks lawmakers for additional funding Updated: Apr-15-15 8:01 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore says the state's judicial branch can't properly function if cuts proposed for state agencies go into effect.
- Alabama Arise calls for new taxes in Alabama Updated: Apr-14-15 9:47 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - One of Alabama's largest advocacy groups for the poor urged lawmakers on Tuesday to approve Gov. Robert Bentley's tax proposal to avoid further weakening the state's already tattered safety net.
- Lawmaker urges Alabama lottery to help solve budget woes Updated: Apr-09-15 7:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - It's been more than 15 years since Alabama voters rejected a state lottery. But an Alabama lawmaker said Thursday that it's time to revisit the idea.
- Alabama's Gov. Bentley creates state health care task force Updated: Apr-06-15 7:17 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Monday created a new task force aimed at making health care in Alabama more accessible and more affordable.