- Israel defense minister says Russian plane breached airspace Updated: Nov-29-15 12:40 pm
JERUSALEM - A Russian jet recently penetrated Israeli airspace but was not shot down thanks to an open communication system between the two countries, Israel's defense minister said Sunday as tensions continued to flare between Ankara and Moscow after Turkish troops downed a Russian warplane.
- Russia suspends visa-free travel with Turkey Updated: Nov-27-15 3:05 pm
MOSCOW - Russia announced Friday that it will suspend visa-free travel with Turkey amid the escalating spat over the downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet at the Syrian border.
- EU turns to Turkey to help manage its migration woes Updated: Nov-27-15 10:38 am
BRUSSELS - Five years ago, Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi warned that millions of Africans wanted to come to the European Union and offered to make the continent's immigration problem disappear in exchange for billions of euros.
- The Latest: Russia supports closing of Turkish=Syria border Updated: Nov-27-15 10:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- 2 Turkish journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports Updated: Nov-26-15 4:11 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In new blow to media freedoms in Turkey, a court on Thursday ordered two prominent opposition journalists jailed pending trial over charges of willingly aiding an armed group and of espionage for revealing state secrets for their reports on alleged arms smuggling to Syria.
- Turkey: New government favors presidential system Updated: Nov-25-15 11:01 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's prime minister says his new government will aim to adopt a new constitution and also believes that Turkey should move to a presidential system - favored by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- Turkey's new government includes Erdogan son-in-law Updated: Nov-24-15 8:25 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish president on Tuesday approved a new government led by Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, which is composed of several names close to the president, including his son-in-law.
- Stadiums on red alert as football resumes after Paris terror Updated: Nov-19-15 11:31 am
PARIS - Fear and trepidation, rather than excitement and thrills, may grip fans when Europe's domestic soccer leagues resume this weekend in the wake of deadly terror attacks in Paris.
- Turkey: Soldiers kill 4 suspected militants day before G-20 Updated: Nov-15-15 12:36 am
ISTANBUL - Turkish soldiers killed four suspected Islamic State militants Saturday and authorities detained 11 demonstrators a day before leaders of the G-20 group of economic powerhouses meet for a summit overshadowed by the slaughter in Paris.
- Erdogan hosting world leaders for G-20 after election boost Updated: Nov-13-15 11:50 am
ANKARA, Turkey - As leaders from the world's 20 biggest economies gather for a summit in Turkey, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will be taking a victory lap.
- Obama to huddle with European leaders on Islamic State fight Updated: Nov-12-15 5:50 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will huddle with the leaders of Germany, the United Kingdom, Italy and France next week in hopes of making "incremental progress" in the fight against the Islamic State group, the White House said Thursday.
- Turkish election body confirms results of Nov. 1 vote Updated: Nov-12-15 4:37 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's election body has confirmed the results of the country's Nov. 1 election in which the ruling party regained its parliamentary majority, setting the ball rolling for the formation of a new government.
- Rights group: Turkey denies opposition media access to G-20 Updated: Nov-10-15 11:24 am
ANKARA, Turkey - A Turkish media rights group says Turkey's government is not allowing Turkish opposition media organizations to cover an upcoming G-20 summit.
- Turkey detains 44 people linked to US-based Muslim cleric Updated: Nov-03-15 3:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's state-run news agency says police have carried out raids in 18 provinces, detaining 44 people linked to a moderate Islamic movement that has turned into President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's Number 1 foe.
- Analysis: Erdogan buoyed by election, faces challenges Updated: Nov-02-15 2:45 pm
ISTANBUL - The surprising margin of victory for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's party in parliamentary elections marks a remarkable turnaround and puts him firmly in control of Turkish politics.
- The Latest: Turkey's nationalist party head stays after vote Updated: Nov-01-15 4:56 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest as tens of millions of Turkish voters cast ballots in a contest that will determine whether the ruling party can restore the parliamentary majority it had enjoyed for over a decade. All times are local.