- EU promises more aid for Ukraine to sign EU deal Updated: Dec-12-13 3:23 pm
- Spurned by president, EU embraces Ukraine protest Updated: Dec-12-13 4:53 am
- Ukraine's president is a political survivor Updated: Dec-11-13 4:26 pm
- Ukrainian leader offers talks, protesters say no Updated: Dec-11-13 3:48 pm
- White House: Force in Ukraine unacceptable Updated: Dec-11-13 2:18 pm
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Dec-10-13 1:26 pm
- Biden calls Ukraine leader, urges halt to violence Updated: Dec-09-13 2:47 pm
- Ukraine's east still backs closer ties with Russia Updated: Dec-09-13 12:54 pm
- 10 Things to Know for Monday Updated: Dec-08-13 9:22 pm
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 Updated: Dec-08-13 4:10 pm
- Nicaragua canal promoter to build Ukraine ports Updated: Dec-05-13 7:47 am
- Ukraine president meets Xi seeking China's support Updated: Dec-05-13 5:47 am
- US toasts stronger ties with former Soviet state Updated: Dec-04-13 6:17 pm
- Ukraine's protests look different to Russian eyes Updated: Dec-03-13 2:53 am
- Main players in Ukraine's political drama Updated: Dec-02-13 12:45 pm
- Ukraine's Euromaidan: What's in a name? Updated: Dec-02-13 4:50 am
- Police forcefully break up demonstration in Kiev Updated: Nov-30-13 12:08 am
- EU blames Russia for failure of deal with Ukraine Updated: Nov-29-13 11:36 am
- EU dispute puts Tymoshenko in tight spot Updated: Nov-27-13 10:22 am
- A lot at stake for Russia in battle for Ukraine Updated: Nov-26-13 4:35 pm
- Biden to Ukraine: Disappointed in EU deal pullout Updated: Nov-22-13 7:03 pm
- Ukraine suspends preparations for signing EU deal Updated: Nov-21-13 6:28 pm
- Merkel leads EU calls for Ukraine to reform Updated: Nov-18-13 1:19 pm
- East or West? Ukraine now has to choose its path Updated: Nov-18-13 6:43 am
BRUSSELS - Ukraine's deputy prime minister said Thursday his financially troubled country will soon sign a trade and cooperation deal with the EU after the bloc promised more aid to the former Soviet republic.
BRUSSELS - Two weeks ago, the European Union's foreign policy chief was at a summit in Lithuania, wooing Ukraine's president with offers of preferential dealings with the world's largest trade bloc. This week, she stood in Kiev's Independence Square with protesters bent on ousting the same man.
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych has a history of being humiliated, most memorably in the 2004 Orange Revolution that deprived him of the presidency.
KIEV, Ukraine - Opposition leaders in Ukraine rejected President Viktor Yanukovych's offer of talks Wednesday, saying they will not sit down with him until he fires his government and releases all arrested demonstrators.
WASHINGTON - The White House says the use of force against Ukrainian protesters is completely unacceptable.
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden has urged Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych (yah-noo-KOH'-vich) to defuse escalating tensions in Kiev, where protesters and riot police squared off in the biggest of three weeks of demonstrations.
YENAKIYEVO, Ukraine - In the Ukrainian president's eastern hometown, the buildings are grimy with black soot from the surrounding coal mines. The air is thick with pollutants. The men here die young, sometimes from industrial accidents.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
KIEV, Ukraine - Hundreds of thousands of protesters poured into the streets of Ukraine's capital on Sunday, toppling a statue of former Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin and blockading key government buildings in an escalating standoff with the president over the future of the country.
BEIJING - The Chinese businessman best known for winning a contract to build a canal across Nicaragua announced he will spearhead a $3 billion joint venture to construct a deep-water port and refurbish the Sevastopol port on Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula.
CHISINAU, Moldova - Between diplomatic headaches in Afghanistan and the Mideast, John Kerry spent happy hour Wednesday praising a wine-producing but poor Eastern European nation for resisting Russia's grasp.
MOSCOW - As the cry for revolution grows louder from Ukrainian protesters rallying for closer ties with Europe, the Kremlin is eager to stave off copycat efforts in Russia. State media are casting the protesters in Kiev as Western-sponsored "professional revolutionaries" bent on violently toppling the government.
KIEV, Ukraine - The Ukrainian government's abrupt decision to freeze ties with the West and violently disperse a peaceful rally has fueled public anger and drawn hundreds of thousands to the streets of the Ukrainian capital. Here is a look at the main characters in Ukraine's political drama:
MOSCOW - Soon after the current wave of protests arose in Ukraine, a new word appeared to describe them: Euromaidan. Already in wide use as a hashtag on Twitter, it's an intriguing invention - linguistically rooted in both East and West, elusive to translate and an insightful glimpse into the country's troubled politics. Who coined it isn't clear, and it's become so popular that it seems almost to have sprung from the collective unconscious.
KIEV, Ukraine - Police in the Ukrainian capital broke up a large anti-government demonstration in the city center before dawn Saturday, swinging truncheons and injuring many.
VILNIUS, Lithuania - EU leaders Friday revived Cold War rhetoric Friday, accusing Russia of bullying Ukraine into ditching a landmark deal so the former Soviet republic would stay locked in Moscow's orbit.
MOSCOW - In the tensions over whether Ukraine will move closer to the European Union or be pulled toward Moscow, the most vivid figure may be the one who's least seen - former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, who turned 53 in a prison cell Wednesday.
MOSCOW - Russia's vigorous efforts to keep Ukraine within its orbit of influence stem from complex strategic, emotional and cultural issues. As the prospect of Ukraine signing an association agreement with the European Union wanes and Kiev focuses on improving ties with Moscow, here's a look at some of the issues at play:
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden has told Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych (yah-noo-KOH'-vich) that he's disappointed over Ukraine's decision to pull out of a landmark agreement with the European Union.
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine said Thursday it was suspending preparations to sign a landmark agreement with the European Union and would focus instead on restoring ties with Russia, appearing to yield to pressure from its powerful neighbor and dealing a harsh blow to plans for the ex-Soviet nation to integrate further with the West.
BRUSSELS - German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday led European Union calls for Ukraine to reform its judicial system beyond the case of jailed former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko before the bloc signs any association agreement with Kiev.
KIEV, Ukraine - According to an old folk tradition, if a man knocks on the door of a Ukrainian beauty with a marriage proposal but does not win her heart, she will reject her suitor by presenting him with a pumpkin.