- Analysis: Against IS, airstrikes may not suffice Updated: May-27-15 6:28 pm
BAGHDAD - It's the modern era's military strategy of choice: overwhelming air power delivering precision-guided punishment backed by intelligence on the ground, with minimal exposure for soldiers of the striking side.
- Defense chief's criticism of Iraqis raises policy questions Updated: May-25-15 7:25 am
WASHINGTON - The Islamic State group's takeover of the Iraqi provincial capital Ramadi has prompted criticism from Defense Secretary Ash Carter and raised new questions about the Obama administration's strategy to defeat the extremist group.
- At Mideast forum, officials seek world's help Updated: May-23-15 3:07 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Mideast-weary though it may be, the international community has a duty and an interest in helping the countries of the region both rebuff violent extremists and fix the refugee crisis that in part has resulted from the fight with them - that was the message coming from the regional World Economic Forum Saturday.
- Veterans frustrated by presidential debate on Iraq war Updated: May-23-15 12:22 pm
Veterans of the Iraq War have been watching in frustration as Republican presidential contenders distance themselves from the decision their party enthusiastically supported to invade that country.
- Analysis: At Mideast forum, hopes for future amid chaos Updated: May-22-15 3:30 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Against a backdrop of Iraq and Syria in flames, Middle Eastern political and business leaders sought to focus on a future of growth and investment for a region that for long has lagged behind. But present-day reality proved rather difficult to ignore, with the Islamic State group wreaking havoc not far from these Dead Sea shores.
- Shiite militias helping Iraq repel extremists' advance Updated: May-19-15 11:43 am
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has called for Iranian-allied Shiite militiamen to help drive Islamic State extremists from Ramadi, the capital of Iraq's vast Sunni-dominated Anbar province.
- Q&A: The IS group captures Iraq's Ramadi Updated: May-18-15 2:25 pm
Nearly a year after sweeping across northern and western Iraq, the Islamic State group this weekend seized Ramadi, capital of the western Anbar province, routing Iraqi forces despite heavy U.S.-led airstrikes.
- Bush struggles to clarify stance on wisdom of invading Iraq Updated: May-12-15 7:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Struggling with the shadows of Iraq, Jeb Bush said Tuesday he would have made a different decision than his brother to invade Iraq in 2003 had he known what he does now about flaws in the nation's intelligence.
- Christie: Knowing what we know now, Iraq invasion a mistake Updated: May-12-15 6:28 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie says that knowing what we know today, the decision to go to war with Iraq was ultimately the wrong one.
- The Latest: Markets happy at clear result; fear referendum Updated: May-08-15 4:29 am
LONDON - 9:25 a.m. (0825 GMT; 4:25 a.m. EDT)
- Former CIA leader defends drone strikes, torture Updated: May-04-15 2:57 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama ordered a barrage of CIA drone strikes in Yemen in 2013 that killed the al-Qaida operatives behind the most serious plotting against American interests in years, a former CIA leader says in a new memoir that broadly defends the targeted killing of terrorists.
- Iraqi city still a ghost town a month after defeat of IS Updated: May-04-15 2:13 am
BAGHDAD - Iraqi government forces drove the Islamic State group out of Abu Mustafa's hometown of Tikrit over a month ago, but he has yet to return, fearing the Shiite militias that now patrol its bombed and battered streets.