- 'Carol,' 'Beasts of No Nation' lead Independent Spirit nods Updated: Nov-24-15 4:25 pm
LOS ANGELES - The 1950s-set romance "Carol" starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara collected the most nominations Tuesday for the 31st Film Independent Spirit Awards.
- With lessons for today, movies bring back the '50s Updated: Nov-23-15 4:08 pm
NEW YORK - Fear of unexpected strikes from overseas. Battles over First Amendment rights. Simmering tensions of inequality.
- With precision and power, Todd Haynes captures 'Carol' Updated: Nov-18-15 2:50 pm
NEW YORK - Subtle and gorgeous, Todd Haynes' period romance "Carol" swells and staggers with the tremors of an unexpected love. The setting (1950s New York) and the characters (played by Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara), may seem remote to some, but few won't recognize the film's dreamy undulations of emotion - including the director, himself.
- Cate Blanchett honored at Museum of Modern Art Updated: Nov-18-15 12:39 am
NEW YORK - Cate Blanchett, accepting an honor for her film work, made reference to the recent attacks in Paris and Beirut and said her own efforts "feel very insignificant" in view of what's happening in the world.
- Review: Blanchett, Mara are exquisite in poetic 'Carol' Updated: Nov-17-15 10:41 am
"Carol" is an overwhelmingly beautiful film. It looks like a dream, it sounds like whispered want, and it feels like falling in love in all its stomach turning terror and ecstasy. Even its title rolls elegantly off the tongue.