- Ex-NY senator gets 7 years in prison for mayoral race plot Updated: Jul-01-15 8:38 pm
WHITE PLAINS, New York - Former Democratic state Sen. Malcolm Smith was sentenced Wednesday to seven years in prison in a scheme to bribe his way onto the ballot for the 2013 New York City mayoral election.
- 63-page settlement details reforms at NYC's Rikers Island Updated: Jul-01-15 7:56 pm
NEW YORK - Prosecutors on Wednesday filed a detailed, 63-page list of reforms New York City jail officials have agreed to institute to end violence and other problems at the Rikers Island jail complex.
- Feds, NYC reach deal to curb violence in Rikers Island jails Updated: Jun-22-15 6:25 pm
NEW YORK - Federal prosecutors and lawyers for injured inmates have reached an agreement with the city to curb widespread violence and other problems that have plagued the Rikers Island jail system for years, according to court papers filed Monday.
- Uncertainty over US strike against al-Qaida leader in Libya Updated: Jun-15-15 5:15 pm
CAIRO - Pentagon officials say they believe they hit their target - the one-eyed, al-Qaida-linked commander who led a deadly attack on an Algerian gas facility in 2013. But uncertainty still surrounds the U.S. airstrike in eastern Libya, and whether Mokhtar Belmokhtar was actually among the militants said to have been killed in the bombing.
- US airstrike targets al-Qaida-linked militant in Libya Updated: Jun-14-15 9:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S military launched weekend airstrikes targeting and likely killing an al-Qaida-linked militant leader in eastern Libya who has been charged with leading the attack on a gas plant in Algeria in 2013 that killed at least 35 hostages, including three Americans.
- Guards' code of silence blamed in Rikers inmate killing Updated: Jun-13-15 11:43 am
NEW YORK - Federal prosecutors say they had to break through a code of silence among guards at the Rikers Island jail complex to bring charges against three current or former correction officers.
- US to judge: Uphold charges against ex-NY assembly speaker Updated: Jun-12-15 7:46 pm
NEW YORK - Prosecutors urged a judge Friday to reject former New York state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver's bid to throw out an indictment accusing him of using the powerful legislative post to collect $4 million in kickbacks.