- Hastert rose to speakership among the scandals of others Updated: May-29-15 7:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Dennis Hastert's career as House speaker both arose and ended amid the sex-related scandals of others.
- Washington removes Cuba from US list of terrorism sponsors Updated: May-29-15 5:28 pm
HAVANA - The Obama administration formally removed Cuba from the U.S. terrorism blacklist Friday, a decision hailed in Cuba as the healing of a decades-old wound and an important step toward normalizing relations between the Cold War foes.
- Congress' familiar path: short-term solutions Updated: May-23-15 10:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Long is the list of problems Congress has addressed with short-term answers.
- Senate clears White House-backed trade bill Updated: May-23-15 4:33 am
WASHINGTON - In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Senate passed bipartisan legislation Friday night to strengthen the administration's hand in global trade talks, clearing the way for a highly unpredictable summer showdown in the House.
- Balancing act for House Democratic Leader Pelosi on trade Updated: May-20-15 11:01 am
WASHINGTON - As House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi delivered the signature achievement of President Barack Obama's first term: his health care bill. Now Obama's top second-term goal, a major trade deal, hangs in the balance on Capitol Hill and Pelosi is again on the spot.
- Capitol scandals raise tough questions for New York governor Updated: May-16-15 2:17 pm
ALBANY, New York - They were Albany's most powerful men: the governor, the Senate leader and the Assembly speaker. Together, they negotiated billion-dollar budgets and decided which bills passed and which ones didn't.
- House GOP strips immigration language from defense bill Updated: May-14-15 7:42 pm
WASHINGTON - House conservatives on Thursday voted down a nonbinding provision aimed at helping young immigrants without permanent legal status enlist in the military, angering some fellow Republicans and handing Democrats a political issue heading into an election year.
- House passes bill for Congress to review Iran nuclear deal Updated: May-14-15 5:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress on Thursday sent President Barack Obama a bill to give lawmakers the power to review and potentially reject a nuclear deal with Iran.
- AP Interview: Pelosi predicts GOP ruin on health care case Updated: May-13-15 7:26 pm
WASHINGTON - House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi predicted Wednesday that Republicans will "rue the day" if the Supreme Court buys their arguments and invalidates tax subsidies for millions of people under President Barack Obama's health care law.
- Reaction to death of former US House Speaker Jim Wright Updated: May-06-15 7:10 pm
DALLAS - Reaction to the death of Jim Wright, former U.S. House speaker and longtime Texas Democratic congressman:
- Former House Speaker Jim Wright dies at age 92 Updated: May-06-15 6:34 pm
DALLAS - Former U.S. House Speaker Jim Wright, the longtime Texas Democrat who became the first House speaker in the nation's history to be driven out of office in midterm, has died at age 92.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Reid sounds resigned on trade fast track Updated: May-05-15 6:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate's top Democrat fiercely opposes expanded trade deals, but he signaled Tuesday he won't stand on the railroad tracks to block them.
- Vice President Biden touts community policing at NAACP event Updated: May-03-15 11:37 pm
DETROIT - Vice President Joe Biden has told a crowd at an NAACP event in Detroit that law enforcement officers and the people they are sworn to protect need to "see each other" to know one another.
- Pelosi keynotes New Hampshire dinner Updated: May-03-15 9:14 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi will be the keynote speaker at an annual fundraising dinner for the New Hampshire Democratic Party.
- Pelosi calls for changes from police and justice system Updated: Apr-30-15 1:17 pm
WASHINGTON - House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, a Baltimore native whose father was the city's mayor, appealed for peace in her home town Thursday and said "something different" is needed from police and the justice system.