- Ex-IRA man linked to 2005 slaying shot dead in Belfast Updated: May-05-15 4:01 pm
DUBLIN - A former Irish Republican Army commander linked to one of the outlawed group's most notorious killings was shot dead at close range Tuesday morning on a street near his home in Belfast, residents and police said.
- Bernie or Bearnie? Presidential hopeful poses with bear Updated: May-05-15 3:25 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Maybe he should consider changing his name to Bearnie.
- AP Interview: Shalala's 14 years at Miami marked by change Updated: May-05-15 8:59 am
CORAL GABLES, Florida - The University of Miami will hold six commencement ceremonies in the coming days, where graduates will walk across a stage and shake Donna Shalala's hand.
- Obama on protests: 'There are consequences to indifference' Updated: May-04-15 11:41 pm
NEW YORK - In a deeply personal response to outbreaks of racially motivated protests, President Barack Obama on Monday blamed a lack of opportunity in minority communities and harsher treatment of black and Hispanic men by police for fueling a sense of "unfairness and powerlessness."
- Clinton agrees to testify on Benghazi, emails this month Updated: May-04-15 6:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton is willing to testify once on Capitol Hill later this month about the attacks in Benghazi, Libya, and her email practices during her tenure as secretary of state, her attorney told lawmakers in a letter Monday.
- GOP field grows: Longshots Fiorina, Carson launch their bids Updated: May-04-15 4:42 pm
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson joined the rapidly expanding 2016 Republican presidential class on Monday, casting themselves as political outsiders in underdog campaigns, eager to challenge the elite of both parties.
- Ex-CIA official: GOP distorted agency analysis of Benghazi Updated: May-04-15 12:04 pm
WASHINGTON - A former CIA deputy director says Republicans repeatedly distorted the agency's analysis of the Benghazi attack in 2012 that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans. He also says U.S. intelligence agencies failed to recognize that al-Qaida would rapidly regain strength after the killing of Osama bin Laden.
- O'Malley gets scrutiny over police record as Baltimore mayor Updated: May-04-15 8:16 am
BALTIMORE - Martin O'Malley often casts Baltimore as the comeback city that overcame the ravages of drugs and violence when he was mayor.
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina enters presidential race Updated: May-04-15 7:37 am
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she is running for president.
- Poverty edging into 2016 presidential race amid city unrest Updated: May-04-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - In a presidential campaign where candidates are jockeying to be champions of the middle class and asking wealthy people for money, the problems facing the poor are inching into the debate.
- Touching, funny, messages in obits getting wide audience Updated: May-03-15 12:16 pm
WHITE PLAINS, New York - Take a friend fishing. Don't vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton. Buy a lottery ticket. And keep Mom away from my ashes.
- Boehner: Clinton needs to bring Democrats along on trade Updated: May-03-15 9:05 am
- Nevada Legislature Week 14: Clinton visit and more tax talk Updated: May-02-15 8:43 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The pressure of passing a tax package to fund Gov. Brian Sandoval's two-year budget will continue to mount in Week 14 of the Nevada Legislature.
- Warren to headline Connecticut Democrats dinner Updated: May-02-15 12:14 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a liberal stalwart that some have hoped will enter the 2016 presidential race, will headline the Connecticut Democratic Party's annual fundraising dinner.
- AP-GfK Poll: Favorable views of Clinton top her GOP rivals Updated: May-02-15 3:17 am
WASHINGTON - Americans are more likely to have a favorable view of Hillary Rodham Clinton than any of her potential Republican rivals in 2016's race for the presidency, even though few see the former secretary of state as honest, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
- Clinton will have staff member in deep red Wyoming Updated: May-01-15 11:58 am
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - High-profile Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton hasn't given up on deep red Wyoming, a state even Republican candidates have so far ignored.
- DHS No. 2 regrets perception of favoritism in visa cases Updated: Apr-30-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Homeland Security Deputy Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas steadfastly defended his work on three foreign-investor visa cases while testifying before a House committee Thursday, following allegations that he used his post to help well-connected Democrats.
- US Sen. Rand Paul to visit Grand Rapids next week Updated: Apr-30-15 2:31 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - Republican presidential contender Rand Paul will make a campaign stop next week in Grand Rapids.
- Ernie Banks' caretaker details estate left by Cubs great Updated: Apr-29-15 12:52 pm
CHICAGO - A list of items left behind by late Chicago Cubs great Ernie Banks includes his Hall of Fame ring and autographed baseballs from Bill and Hillary Clinton, but no big bank accounts or insurance policies.
- Key things to know about Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont Updated: Apr-28-15 7:28 pm
Key things to know about independent Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who is expected to enter the 2016 Democratic presidential campaign on Thursday, according to people familiar with his decision:
- Trade deal poses dilemma for Clinton in Democratic primary Updated: Apr-28-15 11:05 am
WASHINGTON - On a trip to Australia in 2012, Hillary Rodham Clinton lavished praise on the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership, calling it the "gold standard" in efforts to create open and fair trade.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Apr-27-15 10:04 am
Quad-City Times. April 24, 2015.
- White House to unveil Barack Obama state china Updated: Apr-27-15 6:04 am
WASHINGTON - A hue of blue inspired by the waters of Hawaii is a prominent feature of the Obama state china service being unveiled by the White House.
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges mistakes in revealing donors Updated: Apr-27-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - The acting chief executive of the Clinton Foundation says the global philanthropy is working quickly to remedy mistakes it made in how it disclosed donors, saying that its policies on transparency and contributions from foreign governments are "stronger than ever."
- Kasich says money, ability to compete will drive GOP bid Updated: Apr-26-15 11:10 am
WASHINGTON - Ohio Gov. John Kasich says his ability to raise money and compete in the early primary states will guide his decision on whether to make a full run for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.