- Gov. Rick Snyder calls for flags to be lowered to half-staff Updated: May-24-15 6:38 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has called for all flags to be lowered to half-staff in the state Capitol complex in observance of Memorial Day.
- Bill allowing sugary school bake sales sent to Snyder Updated: May-19-15 4:43 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Brownies, candy and other unhealthy snacks could again be sold at in-school fundraisers under legislation finalized Tuesday in a bipartisan rebuke of a Michigan agency's decision to allow no exemptions to federal nutrition standards.
- Snyder urges prison job training in justice system overhaul Updated: May-18-15 5:52 pm
DETROIT - Gov. Rick Snyder said Monday that he wants prison inmates to get skills assessments and job training before they are released as part of an overhaul of Michigan's criminal justice system.
- Report: So-called sin taxes exceed Michigan business taxes Updated: May-18-15 8:53 am
LANSING, Michigan - Smokers and alcohol drinkers paid more taxes last year than Michigan companies paid in net business income taxes, according to a newspaper's analysis published Monday.
- Planned US-Canada bridge to be named after Gordie Howe Updated: May-14-15 4:48 pm
DETROIT - A planned $2.1 billion bridge connecting Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, will be named after hockey great Gordie Howe.
- GM to invest $1 billion in Detroit-area tech center Updated: May-14-15 11:27 am
DETROIT - General Motors Co. plans to spend $1 billion on construction and renovations at its Detroit-area technical center, a top-to-bottom overhaul aimed at boosting innovation and employee attraction across a 60-year-old campus.
- House Speaker proposes raising gas taxes to help fund roads Updated: May-13-15 6:13 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Republican House Speaker Kevin Cotter proposed a plan Wednesday to increase the amount of long-term funding available for road repairs in Michigan, just over a week after voters overwhelmingly rejected a sales tax referendum that would have helped pay for them.
- Snyder makes final push for voters to approve tax increase Updated: May-04-15 6:01 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder wrapped up a road tour Monday urging voters to approve a tax increase that would generate $1.2 billion a year more for roads, saying the tax hike is needed to ensure safer roads.
- Snyder rules out Cabinet position in reaction to speculation Updated: May-04-15 5:18 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder said Monday he is not angling for a Cabinet position, despite speculation that could be the case as he travels around the country promoting Michigan's rebound.
- Walker promotes tax cuts before Michigan vote Updated: May-04-15 4:46 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Republican presidential contender Scott Walker on Monday touted tax cuts to boost the U.S. economy, a day before Michigan voters decide the fate of tax hikes to improve deteriorating road and bridge infrastructure.
- With Walker a 2016 GOP force, Kasich and Snyder ponder runs Updated: May-04-15 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin's Scott Walker has emerged as a force in the 2016 White House contest. It's a position two other Republican governors from the Midwest, lesser known but similarly ambitious, undoubtedly would like to be in.
- Q&A on Michigan ballot measure to hike taxes for road work Updated: May-02-15 9:23 am
LANSING, Michigan - Voters on Tuesday will decide the fate of a constitutional amendment that would raise Michigan's sales tax by 1 percentage point to trigger more money for a deteriorating network of highways, roads and bridges.