- Lawyer: extradition of Ukrainian pilot expected soon Updated: Apr-28-16 11:22 am
MOSCOW - Jailed Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko has been given forms to complete for extradition from Russia, one of her lawyers said Thursday.
- Memories painful on Chernobyl's 30th anniversary Updated: Apr-26-16 2:08 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - As Ukraine and Belarus on Tuesday marked the 30th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear accident with solemn words and an angry protest, some of the men who were sent to the site in the first chaotic and frightening days were gripped by painful memories.
- Russia wants Interpol to put Khodorkovsky on wanted list Updated: Apr-25-16 9:00 am
MOSCOW - Russian prosecutors say they are lobbying Interpol to put Russia's once richest man Mikhail Khodorkovsky on a wanted list.
- Talks stalled, Syrian opposition to stay in Geneva next week Updated: Apr-22-16 2:00 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and peace talks in Geneva (all times local):
- Blatter claims role in trying to remove African president Updated: Apr-21-16 12:47 pm
ZURICH - Reveling in his international diplomacy role, former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has revealed he was asked by Switzerland's foreign ministry last year to help persuade an African president to leave office.
- Serbia's PM Vucic likely to solidify power in snap vote Updated: Apr-21-16 2:15 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Serbia's powerful prime minister, Aleksandar Vucic, is hoping to strengthen his already firm hold on power after Sunday's snap general election.
- Feds say Panama Papers relevant to criminal probe Updated: Apr-20-16 2:50 pm
NEW YORK - Millions of leaked documents showing how the world's richest avoid tax obligations are "relevant" to a criminal investigation, a top federal prosecutor in Manhattan said in a letter to the journalism consortium that has overseen investigative reporting on the so-called Panama Papers.
- New FIFA head tries out his Russian in meeting with Putin Updated: Apr-20-16 1:53 pm
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin has met with new FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who tried out a few phrases he has learned to say in Russian during his visit to check on preparations for the 2018 World Cup.
- NATO, Russia meeting fails to bridge differences Updated: Apr-20-16 12:27 pm
BRUSSELS - The first meeting of the NATO-Russia Council in nearly two years ran over schedule Wednesday but failed to do much to improve relations between Moscow and the U.S.-led alliance, at their lowest ebb since the Cold War.
- Dutch court quashes $50 billion Yukos shareholders' award Updated: Apr-20-16 8:01 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A Dutch court on Wednesday quashed a $50 billion award Russia had been ordered to pay the former majority shareholders of Yukos, a major win for Moscow in the high-stakes dispute over the dismantling of what was once Russia's largest oil producer.
- Austrian president voices doubts over Russia sanctions Updated: Apr-20-16 7:41 am
PARIS - Austria's president says he believes the sanctions imposed on Russia after its annexation of Crimea could be relaxed next year if there is progress in peace talks between Moscow and Kiev.
- Ukraine, Russia reach deal to release pilot, Poroshenko says Updated: Apr-19-16 4:23 pm
MOSCOW - Ukraine and Russia have reached a deal to free a jailed Ukrainian pilot, President Petro Poroshenko said Tuesday, suggesting that she will be swapped for two Russian servicemen imprisoned in Ukraine.
- Serbia's choice ahead of key vote: Russia or the West Updated: Apr-19-16 8:02 am
JAGODINA, Serbia - His fists are clenched, his legs slightly apart, expressing firmness and leadership. His head is turned slightly to the side, blue eyes looking into the distance with an air of calm determination.
- Obama-Putin discuss need to implement Ukraine peace deal Updated: Apr-18-16 3:26 pm
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin and President Barack Obama have spoken by telephone, and the White House says they spent much of the call discussing Ukraine, with Obama urging Putin to abide by a 2015 agreement aimed at ending the conflict.
- Company of Russian owner of Brooklyn Nets searched in Moscow Updated: Apr-15-16 2:42 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's main domestic security agency has searched the offices of a company controlled by the billionaire owner of U.S. basketball team Brooklyn Nets, Mikhail Prokhorov.
- French courts caught up in Yukos vs. Russia assets fight Updated: Apr-15-16 9:33 am
PARIS - The fight between Russia's government and magnate Mikhail Khodorkovsky's dismantled Yukos oil company has spread to courtrooms across Europe - and even into space.
- Russia, Japan agree to leaders' meetings this year Updated: Apr-15-16 8:16 am
TOKYO - Top diplomats from Japan and Russia agreed Friday on scheduling their leaders' meetings this year, starting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit to Russia, to deepen relations overshadowed by a World War II territorial dispute and the conflict in Ukraine.
- Putin seeks to charm, insists Russian economy on the mend Updated: Apr-14-16 12:30 pm
MOSCOW - Mixing wry jokes with economic statistics, Russian President Vladimir Putin sought to reassure the nation during his annual marathon call-in TV show Thursday, promising that its troubled economy will rebound and vowing to make other countries take account of Russia's interests.
- The Latest: Putin: Russia considers trade for Ukraine pilot Updated: Apr-14-16 9:57 am
MOSCOW - The Latest on Russian President Vladimir Putin's marathon call-in TV show (all times local):
- Putin: Meldonium not a performance-enhancing drug Updated: Apr-14-16 8:01 am
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin waded into the debate over meldonium on Thursday, saying the banned substance should not be considered a performance-enhancing drug.
- Russia starts S-300 missile systems deliveries to Iran Updated: Apr-11-16 4:47 pm
MOSCOW - A senior Russian official says Moscow has started delivering S-300 air defense missile systems to Iran.
- Column: Leicester City - the best sports story ever? Updated: Apr-08-16 11:32 am
Leicester has long been a trying name that travels badly. An overelaborate spelling of "Lester" for Americans. A tongue-twisting "Less-es-tur" or "Lie-chest-er" for continental Europeans.
- Battered EU is loser again in Dutch referendum on Ukraine Updated: Apr-07-16 3:38 pm
BRUSSELS - It once seemed a quaint formality, but the Netherlands' referendum on a European Union free-trade deal with Ukraine amounted to a slap in the face for the EU - and yet another serious challenge to the European dream.
- Putin says Panama Papers part of US plot to weaken Russia Updated: Apr-07-16 2:56 pm
ST.PETERSBURG, Russia - President Vladimir Putin on Thursday denied having any links to offshore accounts and described the Panama Papers document leaks scandal as part of a U.S.-led plot to weaken Russia.
- Russia says Japanese leader Abe may visit in May, meet Putin Updated: Apr-06-16 9:31 am
MOSCOW - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe may visit Russia in May for a long-awaited meeting with President Vladimir Putin, the Kremlin said Wednesday.