- Charlie Hebdo receives PEN award at literary gala in NYC Updated: May-06-15 1:49 pm
NEW YORK - Under armed security and a cloud of conflicted opinions and emotions, the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo was presented a freedom of expression award on Tuesday night from the PEN American Center.
- Gaiman, Bechdel among new table hosts at PEN gala Updated: May-03-15 11:05 am
NEW YORK - Neil Gaiman, Art Spiegelman and Alison Bechdel are among the writers who have agreed to be table hosts at next week's PEN American Center gala after six authors withdrew in protest of an award being given to the satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo.
- Guthrie announces 1st season under new artistic director Updated: Apr-29-15 2:18 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Guthrie Theater will feature Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird," the Marx Brothers romp "The Cocoanuts," and Rodgers and Hammerstein's "South Pacific" in its first season in 20 years under a new artistic director, the theater announced Wednesday.
- Writers withdraw from PEN gala, cite honor for Charlie Hebdo Updated: Apr-26-15 11:35 pm
NEW YORK - Michael Ondaatje, Francine Prose and at least four other writers have withdrawn from next month's PEN American Center gala, citing objections to the literary and human rights organization's honoring the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.
- Glenn Close to present award to Tom Stoppard next month Updated: Apr-23-15 12:35 pm
NEW YORK - Glenn Close will help honor playwright Tom Stoppard at next month's PEN Literary Awards Gala, the PEN American Center announced Thursday.
- 'Groundhog Day' musical to premiere at London's Old Vic Updated: Apr-20-15 7:16 pm
LONDON - A stage musical based on the time-looping movie "Groundhog Day" is to have its world-premiere production at London's Old Vic Theatre. Day after day after day.
- Tom Stoppard calls it a 'frightening time' for free speech Updated: Apr-20-15 1:16 pm
NEW YORK - Playwright Tom Stoppard said he will accept PEN's highest award next month in New York to help put a spotlight on a "frightening time" for free expression.