- Calif. Assembly Democrats urge $8B budget reserve Updated: Dec-11-13 6:04 pm
- California among states vying for Boeing jet plant Updated: Dec-10-13 7:56 pm
- Calif. lawmakers call for drought declaration Updated: Dec-10-13 6:19 pm
- Dan Walters: With budget surpluses looming, will Capitol... Updated: Dec-10-13 10:17 am
- $24.7B water plan unveiled by Calif. officials Updated: Dec-09-13 7:30 pm
- Walters: Only Jerry Brown can upend his own re-election Updated: Dec-06-13 11:50 am
- Poll: Governor's approval rating reaches new high Updated: Dec-05-13 9:03 am
- Former bailout boss weighs run for Calif. governor Updated: Dec-05-13 1:27 am
- Timm Herdt: Role reversals ahead in 2014 campaigns Updated: Dec-04-13 10:20 am
- CA gov. renews call for federal Rim Fire aid Updated: Dec-03-13 5:58 pm
- Dan Walters: Democrats have legislative supermajorities... Updated: Dec-03-13 10:16 am
- Walters: Hollywood's state tax credit tarnished by scandal... Updated: Nov-29-13 2:17 pm
- California's substandard highway system needs fix Updated: Nov-26-13 10:17 am
- Judge blocks sale of Calif. high-speed rail bonds Updated: Nov-25-13 7:16 pm
- Dan Walters: Has California finally closed its structural... Updated: Nov-25-13 12:49 pm
- San Diego: Latinos help carry Alvarez to runoff Updated: Nov-20-13 7:05 pm
- Dan Walters: California's judicial war still raging Updated: Nov-20-13 10:47 am
- Brown remains evasive on re-election plans Updated: Nov-19-13 5:22 pm
- Walters: Bad decisions behind Calif. cities' pension... Updated: Nov-18-13 12:18 pm
- California releases draft rules for fracking Updated: Nov-16-13 5:31 pm
- Dan Walters: Malpractice measure given misleading title Updated: Nov-15-13 10:19 am
- Napolitano seeks 2014-2015 tuition freeze for UC Updated: Nov-13-13 7:13 pm
- Jennifer Garner promotes early childhood education Updated: Nov-13-13 2:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Assembly Speaker John Perez pledged Wednesday to cautiously begin restoring funding to some social programs that were slashed during the recession and said lawmakers will ask voters to approve a revised rainy day fund on the November 2014 ballot.
LONG BEACH, California - California is one of at least a half-dozen states vying for Boeing's attention as the aircraft giant selects a production site for its new 400-seat 777X jetliner.
SAN FRANCISCO - With another dry winter looming, California lawmakers called on Gov. Jerry Brown and President Barack Obama to declare a drought emergency and federal disaster in the state.
A half-decade ago, as California's economy was being hammered by a severe recession and the state budget was awash in red ink, then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and legislators created a blue-ribbon commission to study revenue "volatility" and recommend ways to offset it.
SAN FRANCISCO - California water officials on Monday released a draft of a $24.7 billion plan to restore the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, in part by building two 30-mile underground tunnels to ensure stable water delivery to millions of Californians.
Two statewide polls told us this week that there's probably just one person who could thwart California Gov. Jerry Brown's bid for a historic fourth term next year.
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown's approval rating has reached a new high as he considers seeking re-election next year.
SACRAMENTO, California - Those who have heard of Neel Kashkari know him as the former U.S. Treasury official who was in charge of the bank bailout at the height of the recession.
Early indications are that Californians might be in for some topsy-turvy election campaigns next year, with high-profile candidates from both parties seeking to co-opt issues that have in recent years been strengths of the opposing party.
SONORA, Calf. - California Gov. Jerry Brown has filed an appeal to President Obama in a renewed effort to obtain federal aid in the wake of a Rim Fire that raged for months.
Democrats won a 55-seat supermajority in the state Assembly last year, thanks to a couple of surprise wins in what seemed to be safe Republican districts. They kept it by eking out wins in two surprisingly close special elections this year.
The term "rent-seeking" entered the economic lexicon in the mid-1970s, meaning the employment of political pull to obtain a monopoly or some other unearned economic benefit.
Let's start with the basics about California's highway network, which a few decades ago was considered to be among the world's best.
SACRAMENTO, California - A judge on Monday tore up California's funding plans for what would be the nation's first bullet train, issuing separate orders that could force the state to spend months or years redrawing its plans for the $68 billion rail line and could choke off some of its funding.
When Jerry Brown departed from his first governorship in 1983, he left behind what later became known as a "structural deficit" in the state budget.
SAN DIEGO - The city's burgeoning Latino population helped propel a native son and child of Mexican immigrants into a mayoral runoff against a fellow city councilman to replace the disgraced Bob Filner, who resigned amid sexual harassment allegations.
When Tani Cantil-Sakauye became California's chief justice nearly three years ago, she inherited a nasty judicial squabble from her polarizing predecessor, Ron George.
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown is remaining coy about whether he will seek an unprecedented fourth term next year, despite a Hollywood fundraiser this week that could significantly pad his already large campaign war chest.
DAN WALTERS - Sacramento Bee
SACRAMENTO, California - Oil companies would have to test groundwater and notify landowners before they do fracking or other well stimulation techniques under draft rules released by the state.
This is the official "title and summary" of a proposed 2014 California ballot measure, as prepared by Attorney General Kamala Harris' office:
SAN FRANCISCO - University of California President Janet Napolitano proposed a tuition freeze on Wednesday for the 2014-2015 school year in her first address to the Board of Regents.
WASHINGTON - Actress Jennifer Garner says education is "without a doubt the ticket out of poverty."